Paper & Glam Book Club discussion

Glam Archives | 2018 > June 2018: A Piece of Cake

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Happy June Reading Sisters!

This month it's time for a contemporary classic, Cupcake Brown's A Piece of Cake. This is a darker read, but I've been told by many trusted readers the title is so worth it.

I can't wait to dive in with you! If you have any discussion points you'd like included in the chat, please fire away. I always read this string while prepping for our monthly meeting!

Lots of reading love,
Lisamarie

P.S. There's lots and lots of reading stickers in our July collection! Off to get it live!

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Colon | 5 comments Excited to hear what everyone thinks of this one. I read it in one day a few years ago. I couldn’t put it down it was so good and difficult to read because of how vivid her words were. Cupcake Brown went through hell and back and made it out the other side stronger. See y’all at the next book club 😊👍🏼

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Hickory | 3 comments I’ve been reading for three days and am over half way through the book. The fact that I work full time is keeping me from the book devouring my entire day. I’m learning a lot about a dark world that I knew nothing about. This story is amazing and un-put-downable. I can’t wait to see how Cupcake makes her way out of her horrible lifestyle.

message 4: by Leane (new)

Leane I guess I’ve read a lot of books similar to this because I feel I am de-sensitized to what should have been shocking parts. (I mean horrible childhoods and teenage years in cults/gangs.)

Although I did enjoy the book (I listened to the audio, which the author narrates) I thought it was really dragged out and she gave way too many unnecessary details where they weren’t needed.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakaye) Leane wrote: "I guess I’ve read a lot of books similar to this because I feel I am de-sensitized to what should have been shocking parts. (I mean horrible childhoods and teenage years in cults/gangs.)

Although ..."

The book I listened to was not narrarted by the author but by Bahni Turpin. I enjoyed parts of the book. But I agree with you that it drug on and on in places. I don't think it added to the story to hear her tell how many times she got drunk, drugged, broke the law, was stupid and mean. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if she has spent more time telling how she got herself out of the messes she had put herself in. She was given so many chances that many kids like her never have offered to them. I don't really find her to be someone people should look up to.

message 6: by christine (new)

christine | 3 comments Leane--I SO agree with you! While this is an interesting story, I feel that the book could be half as long! I am only half way through and it feels as though we have literally lived every single day of her life so far...the book really could have been edited down in my opinion!

message 7: by Leane (new)

Leane christine wrote: "Leane--I SO agree with you! While this is an interesting story, I feel that the book could be half as long! I am only half way through and it feels as though we have literally lived every single da..."

You hit the nail on the head: we have literally lived every single day of her life.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I just started this book today and I am very blessed to not have been aware of most of the issues that are presented in the book. I am interested to see what else happens to Cupcake although I find that the author gives almost too much detail in the middle of the book. It’s amazing how much detail she is able to recall at such an early time in her life!

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulakaye) This book reminds me so much of James Fry and A Millon Little Pieces.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennem) | 52 comments I read this book a couple of years ago. I’m so interested in hearing what everyone has to say about it. Such an interesting read.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 14 comments Is it weird that my library doesn’t have this book anywhere in their system? (The system includes like the whole northern half of Illinois.) 🤔

message 12: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Maxwell (naturallynikki) | 2 comments Mine also doesn’t have it anywhere in their system and I’m on most of Central Wisconsin

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Itokazu (greyskysaturday) | 4 comments Leane wrote: "christine wrote: "Leane--I SO agree with you! While this is an interesting story, I feel that the book could be half as long! I am only half way through and it feels as though we have literally liv..."

I so agree with this! Though I haven't lived that life to any certain degree. I didn't need quite so much detail on every day and every moment of her life

message 14: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Landreth (paperandglam) | 237 comments Mod
Happy Book Club Eve, Glam Readers!

Can’t wait to see you tomorrow night at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST live on YouTube right here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBy24...

Here are our discussion questions for A Piece Of Cake:

Ice Breaker - Who is your go-to author for a poolside read?

1. What was your experience reading A Piece Of Cake? Star rating? 

2. What scenes or moments in Cupcake’s story did you find most memorable or moving?

3. Cupcake’s story is peppered with inspirational quotes. Which one stuck out to you?

4. Why do you think Cupcake was so easily swayed by the thinking that nothing comes for free? How did she make the leap from applying this thought to material items like food to less concrete realities like love and acceptance?

5. Cupcake finally admits to not liking herself, and begins the long road to developing self-acceptance, self-worth, and self-love. Have you ever struggled with your self-image or self-worth? If so, did Cupcake’s story help you on your own journey?

6. Discuss the inspirational qualities of Cupcake’s qualities. Has her story influenced you to make changes in your own life?

See you soon!
Lisamarie