Addicted to YA discussion

Now I Rise (And I Darken Series, #2)
This topic is about Now I Rise
Series > Now I Rise

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

Patricia Willers (patriciamar) I hate/loved Lada. I am sure I loved how she caused me to rethink the concept of a hero/heroine. I felt for Radu. I wished for a savior for him, from start to finish (again a strange reverse of typical gender roles).

Heather Cummings | 49 comments Just finished it. My heart goes out to Radu. Mehmed made me so mad. I know he is the Sultan but to use your friends and toy with their emotions like that is just wrong. I really like Nazira, such an amazing character. Then there was Lada, cold hearted trying to prove herself to everyone Lada. I knew when I read the first one that Lada didn't actually exist, Vlad Dracul had no daughters. Through more research, I found an interview by Kiersten White where she talks about Lada actually being Vlad III aka Vlad the Impaler aka Dracula. Totally blew my mind!!! Knowing that really made me understand ore.of where the influence of the blood thirsty character came from. But like in the book it makes a huge difference that she is a woman rather than a man. Some places I was cheering her on and others I was like wow, I can't believe she did that! 🤤 I don't think I would have rooted for her the same if her character was a man. Such a large part of her character is fighting the norms of women in that day.