Addicted to YA discussion

Olivia Twist
This topic is about Olivia Twist
Stand Alone > Olivia Twist

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5319 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part?

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 285 comments i really liked it! fave characters include topher and brit, and while monks was definitely a terrible person, the character who most annoyed me was whatshisname, the guy who was olivia's childhood friend (not dodger; i'm talking about the rich, wishywashy one here). i wish langdon hadn't turned the artful dodger into a romantic stereotype (broody, cunning male lead who the female lead and twenty other females instantly fall for) but it was still a really good read :)

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 2265 comments I just started reading the book. I really like Langdon's style -- crisp, easy to read. I think the theme -- so far -- is a really imaginative "twist" on the original. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Gretchen | 49 comments I liked it! I liked how Ms. Langdon kept to the same format as Dickens. I loved the main characters Olivia and Jack, Violet and Topher. I like stories that have a group of friends.I kept hoping that Olivia and Jack would go straight I just couldn't help myself. So the ending was my kind of ending! Everyone wins in the end and the bad guy gets his and the main characters that start out bad turn to the good.
I agree Ms. Langdon's style is wonderful. I was alittle nervous reading this one because of the intense theme but Ms. Langdon handled it with class.

Chelsea I loved reading it, I thought it was very well written and I loved the twist it had. Fave character was Olivia and Jack, I couldn't get enough of them, also really enjoyed the setting and the orphan kids.

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Book: Olivia Twist
Author: Lorie Langdon
Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars

Hey, here’s an buzz book that is actually worth the hype! I cannot remember the last time I read a book in two days-okay, it’s only a little over three hundred pages, but still. I am also really surprised that this one isn’t more talked about. It just seems to be one of those books lurking in the background, but no one really seems to be reading.

It’s fast paced, yet simple and really captivating. I love high society books that have a little bit of a dark twist to them. There’s just something about them that sucks me in. This isn’t steampunk, but the Victorian Era setting kind of does give it that steampunk feeling. This is a retelling, I know a lot of people are groaning, but it’s a good retelling. Plus, it’s not a fairytale retelling. In case you can’t tell by the title, it’s a retelling of Oliver Twist.

Olivia as a child was Oliver Twist. Now, she has been taken in by her uncle and is being raised as a lady. She is supposed to be following society’s rules, which she doesn’t. You may be able to take Oliver Twist off the streets, but you can’t fully take that away. She is a strong character, independent, and doesn’t really care what others think. She also has a big heart. She has fallen for a group of street boys and will do anything to keep them alive.

Jack is the Dodger. Like Olivia, he has been plucked from the streets and modelled into a gentlemen-though he hasn’t given up his old tricks. He is now steeling for a high society woman. He is sly, cunning, but, yet, has a bit of a soft spot. He will also do anything for Olivia, even make the biggest sacrifice of them all.

The writing and the world was just what made this book. I mean, yes I did like the characters, but Lorie’s writing is what had me hooked. There was just something about it that kept on pulling me back to the book and making me read large sections in one sitting. It’s fast, but, yet, nothing is cut out. There are no filler chapters or characters. We get the whole story in just a little over three hundred pages. While you do want more, this stand alone has a good ending that makes me feel happy.

This is one of those books that does remind me that there is hope for young adult books. I strongly encourage everyone to pick this one up.

Knight Of | 426 comments I started reading and I quite like it :)