Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Incorrect information + duplicates...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments What a mess... I've been trying to find the right Goodreads page for a certain Kindle version of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," and there are several duplicates with incorrect information. Here are three that I think can be remedied relatively easily.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Current page count: 668 pages
Correct Page Count: 652 pages
Current ASIN: B019PIOJZE
Correct ASIN: B0192CTMWI
Current Publication Date: December 9th 2015
Correct Publication Date: December 8, 2015

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling
Current page count: 668 pages
Correct Page Count: 652 pages
Current ASIN: NONE
Correct ASIN: B0192CTMWI

The two above books should be combined under the ASIN #B0192CTMWI, using the description from the first book (which matches the description for this book on Amazon), with the publication date of December 8, 2015.... Prior to this change however, the below book needs to be fixed, which is using an incorrect ASIN #.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling
Current ASIN: B0192CTMWI
Correct ASIN: B019PIOJZE
This is an older edition, no longer available.

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Old ASINs should remain in the catalogue.

message 3: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:47AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments Yes, the third book page I mentioned is an older book that should be attached to its older ASIN # B019PIOJZE. Instead, it is attached to the newer ASIN # B0192CTMWI, which should be attached to the first two newer versions of this book (which should be combined)... I hope my post explained this well enough. The information for these books is incorrect.

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments It's not clear whether those ASINs ever had those covers, so we can't just move the ASINs.

message 5: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments When you look up the book with ASIN # B0192CTMWI on Goodreads, and look up the same ASIN # on Amazon, the cover images, publication dates, and page numbers do not match. :(

The cover image and publication year for the first two Goodreads books I referred to matches the cover image and publication year shown for the ASIN # B0192CTMWI book on Amazon (this is the book edition I am reading) as well as
the publisher's website for the book.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26902 comments But that doesn't mean that it did so previously.

All old asins with their covers remain in the database, if those asins get reassigned to new covers then a new edition is made & the asin is moved to the new one. We don't just change an old asin to a new one because the covers match.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Monique wrote: "When you look up the book with ASIN # B0192CTMWI on Goodreads, and look up the same ASIN # on Amazon, the cover images, publication dates, and page numbers do not match. :(

The cover image and pub..."

Sometimes when covers change but ASIN/ISBN doesn't, we create alternate-cover editions. This is because we want to keep all the editions on the site, including matching covers. On the ASIN B0192CTMWI page on goodreads, you'll see there's a link to alternate-cover edition. And the cover of this edition matches the one on Amazon. Maybe this is the one you're looking for?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 8: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments I would really like to be able to find a Goodreads page for this book edition with the correct/matching ASIN, cover image, description, page count, and publication date. Such a page does not currently exist at the moment. :(

message 9: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments Referring to this Kindle book on Goodreads, which currently has the ASIN# in question and a publication date of July 16th 2005...

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling

I doubt that there was a Kindle edition of this book published on July 16th 2005... when the first Kindle e-reader wasn't released until November 19, 2007. Also the cover image for this Goodreads book is the cover image for the paperback edition (ISBN-13: 978-0439785969).

message 10: by Monique (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Monique S. (moniquethebookgeek) | 41 comments I don't mean to be a bother, I just would like to see this fixed. I love Goodreads and would like to help in any way I can to make sure the book information on this site is as accurate as possible.