Reading 1001 discussion

Eva Trout
This topic is about Eva Trout
1001 book reviews > Eva Trout by Elizabeth Bowen

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 3 Stars

Eva has lost both parents and doesn't feel she quite belongs anywhere. She will acquire a big inheritance when she comes of age, but she wants out of her situation as soon as possible. It almost seems like she is on a quest to find her true home, in a figurative sense. Unfortunately, she has led a sheltered life and is spoiled, socially awkward, and a bit naive. She does manage to leave, but after a few mishaps and burnt bridges along the way. The book then jumps ahead to the adoption of her son in the US and her subsequent return to England. The books ending is a bit surprising.

I found I had to read between the lines a lot with this book since much of the information given by the author is either left out or not obvious. I also found the first half of the book much easier to relate to than the second half. The language of the book is lovely, though, and I can see why a lot of people adore the book.

Karen | 293 comments 3 stars.

I really enjoyed the only other Elizabeth Bowen book I had read (The Hotel). I found this one got better as I got used to her unusual writing style, but I did not enjoy it as much.

I was intrigued by the relationships between the characters. And the ending was so sad.