What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Five Were Missing
This topic is about Five Were Missing
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's chapter book 1970s or earlier, preteen whose parents are divorced. [s]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SamSpayedPI (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I read this book in the 1970s. There were no pictures that I could remember.

The MC idolized her father and missed him terribly, but her memories made you sort of realize, despite the MC's POV, what a glassbowl the father was. For example, she remembered him coming home and shouting something to the effect of "I'm home! Come and greet your Lord and Master"; while the girl runs up to kiss him hello, her mother has a sour look on her face.

That's about the only detail I can remember, since for a long time I've been conflating this book with Lillan but upon rereading Lillan, the father does not use this phrase.

The book is not:
Lillan
Mom, the Wolf Man, and Me
Chloris and the Creeps
It's Not the End of the World

Thanks for your assistance!

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Sam, did you post this query another time, with additional info about the girl hating the mother's boyfriend, who sarcastically called her a "rare and precious jewel"? I'm trying to find that thread, because that scene is definitely in Not Just Sugar And Spice - which also fits the rest of your description, just not the "Lord and Master" line.

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 16, 2018 03:07PM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Andria:

No. I was conflating two books, so there was another thread, but I never mentioned a "rare and precious jewel" (nor did anyone else, as far as I can tell) in the thread.

The other thread (about the book I was conflating with this one) was solved by Lillan.

message 7: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
Hah, ok, then clearly I've conflated two threads! Oh well, here's a bump for you, then. :)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Maybe it'll be on this list?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 9: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 17, 2018 06:11AM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Holly wrote: "Maybe it'll be on this list?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9..."

Thanks, Holly.

The problem is, everything else I remember about the book I was conflating with "Lillan," so the only thing I have left to go on is the phrase "Lord and Master" and the fact that the parents are divorced or divorcing. So far, the ones that look even vaguely familiar either don't have the phrase, or aren't available to search electronically.

But I did find another book I was looking for on that list (A Girl Called Al, for its bread, butter and sugar sandwich recipe) so I appreciate it!

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This does not match, but it popped into my head instantly when reading your post: Flowers in the Attic The father would come home from business trips and call out, "Come and greet me with kisses if you love me!" The daughter is obsessed with this phrase, repeats it several times, tells a story of one time she failed to greet her father because she was upset about the fact that she had learned her mother was pregnant with another child.

message 11: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 18, 2018 05:01AM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Adele wrote: "This does not match, but it popped into my head instantly when reading your post: Flowers in the Attic The father would come home from business trips and call out, "Come and greet me w..."

Someone else (or you, earlier) suggested Flowers in the Attic before, so I'm on the waiting list at four libraries, but it hasn't come in yet for me to check.

I definitely remember the phrase "Lord and Master."

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2512 comments Process of elimination. Have you done and browsed searches like this, looking at plots and covers via Google Books and Images.
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=kw%3...

message 13: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 18, 2018 06:10AM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments bookel wrote: "Process of elimination. Have you done and browsed searches like this, looking at plots and covers via Google Books and Images.
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=kw%3...+..."

The problem is, everything else I thought I remembered about the book I was conflating with "Lillan," so the only thing I have left to go on is the phrase "Lord and Master" and the fact that the parents are divorced or divorcing.

Worldcat search for "lord and master" in juvenile fiction, 1950 - 1980, comes up empty.

message 14: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2512 comments The point of searching and eliminating is a cover or plot may jog the memory subconsciously. Worth a try.

message 15: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 19, 2018 01:51PM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I'm going to say it is not Flowers in the Attic.

Probably.

The brother does use the phrase "Lord and Master," pretending to be the man of the house, but he's being facetious. The father himself never uses it.

In my book, I remember it was the father himself saying these words. not the brother imitating the father, because I remember being a little surprised at the phrase: that a man would even semi-seriously refer to himself as "Lord and Master" and that his daughter would love him for it. Also, I remember the daughter running up to him to kiss her father hello when he said this, and his wife standing nearby, clearly not charmed.

To be fair, the first part of this does occur in Flowers in the Attic as well, in the aforementioned "Come greet me with kisses if you love me" scene, but there the mother greets him just as warmly as the kids.

SO it's either not the book, or I've hopelessly tangled the scenes together in my brain (which is not outside the realm of possibilities, either, since it's been a long time since I read any of these books).

message 16: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2512 comments A worldcat search for lord and master never entered my thoughts because you're talking about a phrase in a book. Worldcat has library records that may or may not have plots and subject headings. Google Books sometimes has inside the book search but it can be hit and miss. Search for broad subject headings on divorce juvenile fiction, browse reviews by searching title, author and kirkusreviews or School Library Journal or Bulletin for the Center of Children's Books or blog book reviews. The subconscious can be given an aha jolt of recognition even if you don't remember the book consciously.

message 18: by SamSpayedPI (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Thanks, Rainbowheart; I'll check those out. I definitely read Leap Before You Look when I was a kid, and A Smart Kid Like You looks vaguely familiar.

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments I hope it's one of those!

You might also want to check this list....

20th Century YA & Middle Grade Fiction about Divorce

message 20: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Nov 06, 2018 07:45AM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Two Special Cards?

Leap Before You Look?

A Smart Kid Like You?

Shadow on the Water?

Telltale Summer of Tina C.?"

All except Shadow on the Water were available in the Internet Archive, and none contained the appropriate scene. And nothing on the list caught my attention either.

I think I'm going to abandon this. I'm beginning to think I was just conflating Flowers in the Attic with Lillan.

It doesn't seem possible, since I would have read Lillan as a child and Flowers in the Attic not until I was 12 at least, but it just seems too much of a coincidence that Flowers in the Attic has both the missing language and the scene (although not in the same place).

message 21: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 11, 2020 05:53PM) (new) - added it

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I can't believe I found it!

A recent post mentioned Lois Duncan. The author sounded familiar, so I looked up some of the books she wrote. I remembered Five Were Missing (AKA Ransom) and decided to give it a quick reread, and Bingo!
She closed her eyes and he came to her, as he had so many times before, her big, handsome father with his easy charm and his booming laugh. “Where is everybody?” he would roar, banging the door closed behind him. “I’m home. Where is everybody!” She could remember the rough feel of his jacket against her cheek as he hugged her, the familiar mannish smell of shaving lotion and tobacco. “Where is everybody! Come and welcome your lord and master!”
Anyway, Marianne's a teen, not a preteen, but the rest is on point, even though it's not a pivotal part of the novel. Marianne's parents are divorced; her mother and stepfather are trying to get hold of her biological father to help pay her ransom after she's been kidnapped.

message 22: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments That's awesome, I always wondered about this one. Glad you found it!