Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2018 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
August 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 3: by Lia (new)

message 4: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 804 comments I nominate Summer by Edith Wharton.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination."

I second again! This is going to happen one time!

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Jehona wrote: "I nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott."

I second this.

message 8: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Vicki wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott."

I second this."

Thanks!

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate Summer by Edith Wharton."

I will second Summer.

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I nominate Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (123 pp, pub 1955).

message 11: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments I'll also second The Return of the Soldier.

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2877 comments I'll second Return of the Soldier!

message 13: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (123 pp, pub 1955)."

Seconding this one :)

message 14: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

message 15: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Bárbara wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (123 pp, pub 1955)."

Seconding this one :)"

Thanks Bárbara :)

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina Seconding Pedro Paramo :-)

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
Ada wrote: "I nominate "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman"

This was read in August 2016, feel free to select something else.

message 18: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments I will nominate Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville again. It hasn’t gotten much love in the polls, but I have heard it is a great short story.

message 19: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 50 comments I'll second Flatland.

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Brina wrote: "Seconding Pedro Paramo :-)"

Thanks again Brina :)

message 21: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2877 comments I will second Bartleby the Scrivener because it is a fun story and I think everyone should read it! :)

message 22: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I nominate Fantomina; or, Love in a Maze about 96 pages I think

message 23: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments Terris wrote: "I will second Bartleby the Scrivener because it is a fun story and I think everyone should read it! :)"

Thanks Terris!

message 24: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments Bob wrote: "Ada wrote: "I nominate "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman"

This was read in August 2016, feel free to select something else."

Thanks for letting me know! I nominate The Queen Who Flew: A Fairy Tale by Ford Madox Ford

message 25: by Milena (new)

Milena | 257 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination."

I'll second :)

message 26: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I will also second The Return of the Soldier.

message 27: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I have heard that Guy De Maupassat was one of the "fathers of the short story", so I feel like he might be an author to read + know.

His best story seems to be The Horla :
A chilling tale of one man’s descent into madness, which was published shortly before the author was institutionalized for insanity.

So, yup-- I nominate The Horla !! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 28: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination."

Seconding as well.

message 29: by Solange (new)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Francisca wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination."

Seconding as well."

Add my second to the list.

message 31: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 6122 comments Mod
I will second The Return of the Soldier and see if this is the magic month for it to win.

message 32: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Jehona wrote: "I nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott."

I add a second.

message 33: by Tina (new)

Tina | 117 comments Petrichor wrote: "Jehona wrote: "I nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott."

I add a second."

I second it too.

message 34: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4206 comments Another second for The Return of the Soldier please. :-)

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
Terris wrote: "I will second Bartleby the Scrivener because it is a fun story and I think everyone should read it! :)"

Terris wrote: "I'll second Return of the Soldier!"

Terris you can only second one nomination

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Nominating Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo."

This has already been nominated by Aubrey, message #10.

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Leslie wrote: "Ok, changing to The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu"

I'll second this one since I was coming to nominate it myself :)

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jun 08, 2018 06:52AM) (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
Standing to date. Eleven nominations so far, already 3 more than last month, 9 days left.

The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West, 112 pages, 1918
J.BlueFlower - Sue, Aprilleigh, Terris, Milena, Rosemarie, Francisca, Pam, Sara, Kathleen, (9)

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott 96 pages, 1884
Jehona - Vicki, Chrissy, Petrichor, Tina, (4)

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo, 128 pages, 1955
Aubrey - Barbara, Brina, (2)

Summer by Edith Wharton, 127 pages, 1917
Marilyn - Candi, BAM, (2)

The Diary of Lady Murasaki by Murasaki Shikibu, 90 pages, 1010
Leslie - Renee, (1)

The Queen Who Flew: A Fairy Tale by Ford Madox Ford118 pages, 1894
Ada - Inkspill, (1)

In the Penal Colony by Franz Kafka, 52 pages, 1919
Lia -

Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville, 64 pages, 1853
Matt -

The Horla by Guy de Maupassant, 79 pages, 1886
Jennifer Lynn -

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger, 18 pages, 1948
Solange -

Note: Terris, until I hear different I have listed your first second for Return of the Soldier as your choice. Let me know it you want changes made.

message 40: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I will renege my nomination and choose something to second in a bit

message 41: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2877 comments Bob wrote: "Terris wrote: "I will second Bartleby the Scrivener because it is a fun story and I think everyone should read it! :)"

Terris wrote: "I'll second Return of the Soldier!"

Terris you can only seco..."

Oh, sorry. I'm going for Return of the Soldier :)

message 42: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I will second Summer by Wharton.

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5127 comments Mod
Updated

message 45: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I second The Horla

message 46: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1238 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "The return of The Return of the Soldier. A nomination."

Automatic seconding of The Return of the Soldier.

End of script.

message 48: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I will second Pedro Paramo.

message 49: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments I second Summer

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Bat-Cat wrote: "I will second Pedro Paramo."

Thanks Bat-Cat :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.