Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
This topic is about Altered Carbon
Monthly Read: Themed > June 2018- Cyberpunk- Altered Carbon

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
Welcome to June and out Cyber punk read--Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. A fantastic choice, and made relevant recently with the TV show!

Let us know what you think!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I read this one a couple months ago so I won't re-read it but I'll join in the discussion.

Allan Phillips I knew this read was coming and had just finished a couple other books, so I cheated a little and started about a week ago. Will finish tonight. I'm enjoying it a lot. Solid writing, it moves along smoothly with no lulls. For me the language is such that I have to focus and work a little harder to get through it (concentration is not my strong suit). Good detective story type of plot, not overly simplistic nor just downright weird or off-the-wall as something like Snow Crash. I occasionally had to ask, "who is this character," what with all the changing sleeves thing, but that wasn't really disruptive. I'll definitely come back at some point and read the other Kovacs novels.

message 4: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Just started.

message 5: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena 13% in. He’s doing a good job at describing the disconnect between a very old person staring out of a very young body.

message 6: by Saha (new) - added it

Saha | 2 comments Have had this on my shelves for months, so happy to see it as a group-read!

message 7: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I’ve taken a break around 23%. The undercurrent of dark sex is not something I’m in the mood for. I’ll pick it back up in few days.

message 8: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena 32%. That’s all the torture I’d like to read for the day.

Allan Phillips Fortunately those parts don't continue. Plow through, keep swimming!

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Ok good.

message 11: by Lena (last edited Jun 10, 2018 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Didn’t enjoy that.
Trigger Warning: dog rape.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I liked this one a lot when I read it earlier this year. It's really a noir detective novel updated with cyberpunk flavor. Some of the long descriptive passages could have used trimming but it was great fun for those who like that type of book. As Lena noted above there is some objectionable content, in fact quite a lot of graphic sex and violence kind of like a 1980s action film, so be warned if you are sensitive to that type of thing. Fortunately, also like a 1980s action film, the perpetrators get theirs in the end.

Jesus Flores (jesusflores) | 3 comments I read it a couple of months ago and I liked it, It is a nice mix of Detective Novel, Cyberpunk, and lots of action, fights. Yes its quite brutal and violent, sometimes way too much. I found a couple of things plot wise that either was too convinient(view spoiler) or really too dumb a reason (view spoiler)

But good enough to convince me to check the next ones on a time when I dont have too many pending things to read.

message 14: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil J | 116 comments Lena wrote: "32%. That’s all the torture I’d like to read for the day."

Ha ha. I just took a break at the same point. "Well, enough of that, time to go check Goodreads."

Overall, I'm enjoying the book. I really like the noir feel. It reminds me a lot of the beginning of The Big Sleep with the older wealthy guy and the wife who hits on Bogart so hard he says, "She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up!"

I started watching the show last night. I was disappointed in the characters- I felt like Ortega and Kovacs had different personalities than they did in the book.

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena I haven’t checked out the show but the book felt like a looong episode of Law & Order: SVU 2250

message 16: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil J | 116 comments I'm at 62% and I have comments about Kovacs' detective skills.

Kovacs is operating under the assumption that the killer is someone who doesn't realize that Bancroft was getting remote backups, but that seems absurd. A killer should assume that anyone with Bancroft's wealth and longevity is backing up. Therefore, the killer is probably someone who knows Bancroft and is trying to erase a memory that occurred in the missing 48 hours.

Isn't it fairly obvious that the 48 hours preceding the murder are important to cracking the case? Why is Kovacs getting sidetracked by chasing down various thugs when he should be investigating Bancroft's movements and contacts during the missing 48 hours?

Isn't it fairly obvious that MIriam is covering something up? Shouldn't Kovacs be digging into that?

Either these are some really big plot holes or Kovacs is just a very bad detective.

message 17: by Phil (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil J | 116 comments This is the worst description of sex I've read in a long time:

(view spoiler)

I can't stop thinking about this sentence. It's terrible!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Phil wrote: "This is the worst description of sex I've read in a long time:

[spoilers removed]

I can't stop thinking about this sentence. It's terrible!"

Heated. Globes.

Hilarious

message 19: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 265 comments Phil wrote: "This is the worst description of sex I've read in a long time..."

Dang. I've never had that kind of sex ever. Guess I just don't get invited to the right parties. [LOL!]

message 20: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil J | 116 comments Micah wrote: "Dang. I've never had that kind of sex ever. Guess I just don't get invited to the right parties. [LOL!]"

Maybe you've just been using the wrong kind of bathwater.

I just finished this last night. Can anyone explain Trepp for me? Her first incarnation is as an inhuman killer, then her new sleeve comes back as the assassin with a heart of gold. Why the change? Was she just swept away by Kovacs' machismo?

Teleport Magazine | 8 comments I just finished Altered Carbon. I saw the Netflix series before reading the book. I like both equally, but the reason I read the book was because I wanted to know more about DHS and the stacks. In the show they said the stacks were extraterrestrial tech that humans got a hold of and in the book the stacks are human tech. Disappointing but oh well. I like the nod to Harlan Ellison and Ray Bradbury.

As I read the book I couldn't help but draw parallels between the snuff fantasies of Altered Carbon and the sexual slavery/snuff fantasies of WestWorld. Heavy stuff....I think the shows run the risk of alienating female viewers with all the booby shots but the book does a pretty good treatment of the topic- with the UN resolution and everything. I need more to time analyze that element. At any rate, I loved the book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Altered Carbon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard K. Morgan (other topics)