To Be Renamed... Book Club discussion

The Bees
This topic is about The Bees
Monthly Group Reads > June 2018 - The Bees

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 3 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
We will meet on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at Biddle's Escape (6:30-8:00 pm) to discuss Laline Paull's 2014 debut novel, The Bees.

I'm intrigued to read this book which Goodreads describes as a mix between The Handmaid's Tale and The Hunger Games.

From this review's first paragraph:
Laline Paull’s ambitious and bold first novel, “The Bees,” follows Flora 717, a sanitation worker doomed by her birth to the lowest caste of her community. She is large and ugly and — oh, yes — a bee. What could feel gimmicky or cute never does; Flora 717 is a brave and spirited soul, and it is a pleasure to follow her through the hive and the air. The brief prologue and epilogue are the only sections of the book with humans, aside from a single scene halfway through in which a man harvesting honey comes off something like Godzilla. Truly, who needs people when bees provide this much pathos?
Hope to see you there!

message 2: by El, The Reading Ninja (new) - rated it 3 stars

El | 80 comments Mod
Hi guys, I won't be able to have this book read in time before our meeting tomorrow. Namely because I never got my paws on a copy! I was also in Ireland for school the first two weeks of the month and I've been overwhelmed with life. I will still probably come to listen in and see what we choose for next month.

See you soon!

Jennifer Konikowski (jmkoni) | 2 comments Anyone here yet? I'm upstairs