What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Waking the Moon
This topic is about Waking the Moon
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult fiction, male love interest drew his watch on his wrist. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 3 comments I read this book after buying it as a new paperback in my mid-twenties, so it would have been published in the late 1990's or early 2000's I think. There are 3 primary characters, the main character is a young woman. Then there is young woman #2 and a young man. If I recall correctly they meet in high school. The young man is eccentric and quirky and the main character falls in love with him. He draws his wrist watch on his wrist. And that is an important feature about their relationship. But the young man falls in love with the second young woman. The second young woman is the kind of woman who gets a lot of attention and is very popular if I recall correctly. While the main character is much more introverted.

But the second young woman befriends the first young woman. The young man falls in love with the second young woman. And then here's where some of the spoilers come in. The dies and I feel like it's somehow related to the second young woman. I feel like there is maybe a scene where he fell from a balcony when he had been in a room with her. I feel like maybe she coldly watch this. And I feel like maybe it's implied he was some sort of sacrifice but maybe never said. But I don't think it was ever proven that she was responsible for his death. I'm not really clear on that but I think that might have happened. The young man had said to the first young woman, at some point he said roughly "maybe next time around". Meaning maybe he will love her next time around.

I feel like there was a time jump then and the women are reconnected as adults. The second young woman has become perhaps semi-famous. And it turns out she is now a priestess for a goddess. The goddess turns out to be evil and perhaps trying to bring about some sort of end of world scenario. At some point the second young woman seems to have the goddess kill someone with bees. Actually, hey're not that young anymore, the first woman catches on to what the second woman is doing and somehow stops the second woman and I think the second woman ends up dying. Meanwhile the first woman now works in some sort of Museum of Natural History. Something like that. And she meets the young man who died. Only he has been reincarnated. And they do fall in love even though he's a lot younger.

I really loved this book. I had a copy of it for a very long time. When I moved from one house to another my mother had some people come in my house and throw my entire Library away. I mourned my book collection for a good 5 years. I want to pick up this book again and cannot remember what it was called. If I still had my book collection I would know right where it is in the book case but I can't remember the title or author. If anyone can remember this book and give me the author or title I would appreciate it. So much!

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 3 comments This is solved. Someone on Reddit reminded me. It is "Waking the Moon", by Elizabeth Hand, I think is the author.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 3 comments Can someone help me move this to Solved? I only have a mobile device.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36503 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Jen. Here's the link - Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Waking the Moon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Hand (other topics)