SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
This topic is about Into the Drowning Deep
Group Reads Discussions 2018 > "Into the Drowning Deep" First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Yay! Seanan McGuire is finally on our club shelf! The world moves towards balance!

What do you think so far? Please, nothing about character actions/growth or plot specifics!

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have my hold set to go soon. I thought ahead and scheduled this out a bit so I could finish up the books I knew I wouldn't have had time to finish! Really curious, I've only read the first Toby Daye book by her, aside from her glorious tumblr/Twitter posts.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I'll be starting on the audiobook for this today. I loved Rolling in the Deep, as well as her other stuff that I've read, so I'm expecting to love this one too.

message 4: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1323 comments I have a hold for this but am so badly over committed....

Josen (josens) | 9 comments I started this the other day. I have to say I've never read anything about this kind of "sea creature" (as described in the synopsis) :) so I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it but so far so good!

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments I typically enjoy short books with a more succinct style. Drowning Deep is starting out like a soap opera and it's taking a while to get to the action. That said, I'm still enjoying it (zoning out during some of the wordier portions). The sea creatures sound pretty cool. I'm looking forward to getting to know them better...

Melanie | 925 comments ...I’m concerned this book might just be too scary! Am I alone? Does it mellow out?

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments It's definitely suspenseful, but I haven't found it to be scary like horror. It's more something like a Michael Crichton book.

Sarah | 2610 comments Oh gosh I didn’t have any interest at all until you said Michael Crichton. Now I’m going to have to try it. Better go put that hold in.

message 10: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 03, 2018 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
I knew this might happen, but I'm starting to rethink my decision to skip this one. My library seems to have it on the shelf, I may have to swing by tomorrow and get it. I'm hoping for more Seanan and less horror, and so far the comments sounds like that may be the case.

edit: I read the kindle sample and I kind of liked it! I'm intrigued by the ASL note.

Ariana | 657 comments Is it worth it to read Rolling in the Deep first? Or dive right into Into the Drowning Deep (no pun Nintendo)?

message 12: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1323 comments I was wondering the same thing....seems like one clearly preceded the other

Josen (josens) | 9 comments Bruce wrote: "It's definitely suspenseful, but I haven't found it to be scary like horror. It's more something like a Michael Crichton book."

Yes I agree. So far not too scary.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Ariana wrote: "Is it worth it to read Rolling in the Deep first? Or dive right into Into the Drowning Deep (no pun Nintendo)?"

So far it seems like it works just as well on its own. There are enough references back to the novella that there's not really a lot you're missing out on as far as I remember.

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've read six chapters and so far it looks like this is my fun read this month. I was not expecting that!

Meredith | 1352 comments Ariana wrote: "Is it worth it to read Rolling in the Deep first? Or dive right into Into the Drowning Deep (no pun Nintendo)?"

Grant definitely fills in enough in the early chapters that you don't need to read the novella (though it is a fun little read).

message 17: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1323 comments I read the samples for both - I’ll be farting back to them sometime this month - lol. I think I’ll leave that autocorrect typo hahaha.

Anyway I have a few reads but I’m intrigued- and I enjoyed her FEED series.

message 18: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

XD

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments Ariana wrote: "Is it worth it to read Rolling in the Deep first? Or dive right into Into the Drowning Deep (no pun Nintendo)?"

I didn't even know about Rolling in the Deep until you mentioned it. I don't feel like I missed anything at all. In fact, I think I could have used a good deal less explanation.

message 20: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

It's official, I really like this! I've only read 12 chapters, but there's so much I'm enjoying. Is it horror? Nope, not yet.

This can't be a spoiler, because it's not about the book. I've sometimes read parts in other books, where people are on a ship or in a submarine, somewhere out there where the bottom is so deep you can't even imagine it. Those scenes usually give me the creeps in the way that most people probably get from horror movies. The sort that it kind of scares you, but you can deal with it, it's almost enjoyable.

I was expecting to get that from this book, but so far I haven't. Maybe it's because it's supposed to be horror, so it'll feel different? Or maybe it's coming.

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments Anna wrote: "I've sometimes read parts in other books, where people are on a ship or in a submarine, somewhere out there where the bottom is so deep you can't even imagine it. Those scenes usually give me the creeps in the way that most people probably get from horror movies."

Kind of like Sphere? That did it for me, anyway.

message 22: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't read Sphere, so I don't know. It's usually in a harmless context. Like a documentary about the fish at the bottom of the sea or something, and suddenly I'm thinking about being stuck there in a tiny pod or something. Or I can be looking at a map of the world, and a part of the ocean catches my eye, and I start thinking how vast the mass of water is, and how deep. The depths of the oceans just feel so alien! Scary and cool at the same time.

message 23: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Abyss. Gadzooks.

message 24: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

The movie? I loved that as a kid!

Josen (josens) | 9 comments Ah the Abyss is one of my all time favorites!

I think I have a fear of the deep ocean. This story hasn't bothered me so much but just the idea of being underwater like that freaks me out. Has anyone seen that underwater waterfall at the Mauritius Island? Things like that freak me out. Lol!

message 26: by Kira (new)

Kira Wilson | 15 comments I know the feeling you're talking about very well, Anna! And Bruce is right, Sphere showcases that beautifully. I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't read it yet.

message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments My library has this already so I should be able to start tomorrow!

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I checked IMDB and I've marked Sphere as watched. I don't remember it at all. The book is on my tentative TBR, maybe I'll move it up.

And I looked up the underwater waterfall, it's beautiful!

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments This one sounds really interesting! Might have to jump on this one.

Rhonda Johnson (rhondazvous) | 5 comments There's actually a subgenre called science fantasy. I enjoyed Drowning Deep and am currently enjoying Feed (also by Mira Grant).

I've taken you guy's recommendation and added Sphere to my TBR shelf.

message 31: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Got a few chapters in and so far so good! Gonna try to get a large chunk read by the end of Sunday.

Rhonda Johnson (rhondazvous) | 5 comments I read all of it. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say hang in there. The best is yet to come.

Josen (josens) | 9 comments Rhonda wrote: "There's actually a subgenre called science fantasy. I enjoyed Drowning Deep and am currently enjoying Feed (also by Mira Grant).

I've taken you guy's recommendation and added Sphere to my TBR shelf."

Science fantasy? I'll have to do more digging into that!

message 34: by Rhonda (last edited Jun 11, 2018 04:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhonda Johnson (rhondazvous) | 5 comments Yes, writers are out there just doing it. I think the two most important questions a writer can ask are why not? and what if?

So you get all kinds of stuff. Science fantasy, space detectives, wizard detectives.

message 35: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1685 comments I was planning on using an Audible credit to get this mid-month, but they had a sale and I got it early. :)

McGuire/Grant is hit and miss for me--I have a low tolerance for her primary character type. But so far this is cool. I love Grant's depiction of the ocean, and the setup is nice and creepy. Looking forward to getting into the heart of things.

Josen (josens) | 9 comments Rhonda wrote: "I read all of it. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say hang in there. The best is yet to come."

Yup......I finished too.

Rhonda Johnson (rhondazvous) | 5 comments @Josen
Congrats for finishing.

message 38: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've started it! Loving the horror parts of it, wish the dialogue was tighter.

Melanie | 925 comments I need to stop reading this book at night!

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments Allison wrote: "...wish the dialogue was tighter."

That was my complaint also.

message 41: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bruce wrote: "Allison wrote: "...wish the dialogue was tighter."

That was my complaint also."

I'm'a have things to say in the spoiler thread. For now, I plug along.

Rebecca | 4 comments Just started this as my first book of the group. Pretty sure I am going to love it! Feels a bit like a B movie horror so far - not a criticism!

message 43: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welcome, Becky!! I hope you like it as much all the way through!

Rhonda Johnson (rhondazvous) | 5 comments Becky wrote: "Just started this as my first book of the group. Pretty sure I am going to love it! Feels a bit like a B movie horror so far - not a criticism!"

She does take time to set things up. But hang in there. The plot will thicken.

message 45: by J.W. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.W. | 219 comments I absolutely adored her Parasitology trilogy so I have high hopes for this one. Loved the brief intro.

Melanie | 925 comments It seems quality dialog was exchanged for philosophy, which is well done, but perhaps too pervasive.

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments Becky wrote: "Feels a bit like a B movie horror so far - not a criticism!"

I could see this made into a movie. James Cameron? 3D sea creatures?

message 48: by J.W. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.W. | 219 comments I just read the first chapter and I want to stay up all night reading it. But I have to get up for work and bring kids to daycare so I shan’t. I love Anne already. Can’t wait to dive back in on break at work. I think Mira Grant and her real name will end up on my must read list for tracking down everything I can find at this rate.

~ Giulia ~ | 146 comments I'm at about 25%
My first impression is a very slow, not particularly interesting setup. I could sum up everything that happened so far in a single sentence. I hope the exciting stuff starts soon. (Yes, I might be feeling a tiny little bit bloodthirsty at the moment :P)

Sarah | 2610 comments I'm at 9% (Chapter 3) and loving it so far. It does feel Crichtonesque. The opening actually reminded me a lot of that mockumentary Animal Planet did on mermaids a year or two ago- did anyone else watch that?

« previous 1