SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussions 2018 > "Ancillary Mercy" First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
It's June already!! And we're gonna cross a series off our collective TBR!

How you feelin' about that?

(Also, it is understood that there may be spoilers for - Justice and - Sword!)

Please focus on impressions and leave out specifics about characters or plot in this thread.

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
I love that the whole series is on the group shelf! Now if we could only get All Clear there, maybe I'd finally read that series, too.

My first impression: I started the book and read until 7 AM.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments I really liked the first two books so I started the audiobook a bit early last night. I really like the narrator and think she was a good choice for this book.

I’m about 10% in, it feels like we’re getting a lot of background and reminders about stuff that happened in the previous two books. I read them very recently so it’s feeling a bit repetitive, but I know I’d appreciate it if I’d taken some time between books.

message 4: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jun 04, 2018 02:07AM) (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
In case someone wants to refresh their memories, here are the discussions for the first two books:

Ancillary Justice (no spoilers)
Ancillary Justice (spoilers)

Ancillary Sword (no spoilers)
Ancillary Sword (spoilers)

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments Drinking every time tea is mentioned would be a very very dangerous drinking game.

If it’s possible there seems to be even more talking about tea in this book than in book 2.

message 6: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 946 comments I have my copy and will be starting soon. I enjoyed the first two books in the series.

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Steve wrote: "Ancillary series drinking game: Whenever tea is mentioned, take a drink (of arrack)

First sentence mentions tea.

Aatr's tits! I'm too drunk already to keep reading!"

lolol

message 8: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 946 comments Didn't the second book start with tea? I think Breq's nemesis is drinking tea, sort of a contrast of a refined activity amid destruction.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 33 comments There is tea drinking all the time.

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 1352 comments Steve wrote: "Holding the bowl of tea with one gloved hand, I gestured with my other gloved hand. "This is good tea," I said it was good tea because the tea was good. Ancillaries and Ships could know exactly how..."

This is Proper and Beneficial and therefore it is also Just.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina (teanah) | 55 comments Meredith wrote: "Steve wrote: "Holding the bowl of tea with one gloved hand, I gestured with my other gloved hand. "This is good tea," I said it was good tea because the tea was good. Ancillaries and Ships could kn..."

Lol. Just need to fit “Begging the fleet captain’s indulgence” in there somewhere :)

I can’t wait for the spoiler thread

message 12: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Just finished my re-read of the series. I love them all, but I think this one might be my favorite.

message 13: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 8 comments Tina wrote: "Drinking every time tea is mentioned would be a very very dangerous drinking game.

If it’s possible there seems to be even more talking about tea in this book than in book 2."

Not so dangerous if you drink tea! ;)

I'm just reading the first one. I'll read them back to back. Good to see that other people aren't disappointed. At least it gives me hope. I just finished a fantasy trilogy that got a lot of praise and I was very much disappointed by books 2 and 3.