Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Sunshine -- -- Roll Call and First Impressions **NO SPOILERS!**

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Please let us know if you are reading, or plan to read Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

And please, in this thread, **NO SPOILERS!**

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Listed before Finished.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I liked this book, not your typical vampire story since the vampires are genuinely scary.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2388 comments Mod
I read this one several years ago and don't remember it well, but I remember that I quite enjoyed it! No time for a re-read, but I bet the spoiler discussion will trigger my memory.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 521 comments I was struck by the cover on this one. Black, and a stygian shade of crimson, for a book titled "Sunshine."

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments So, without spoilers, do those who have read this one recommend it for Vampire-story lovers? For non-vampire-story lovers who might want to see how vampires can be used creatively? Or do non-vampire-story lovers need to stay away?

message 7: by Nick (last edited Jun 24, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Silvana wrote: "I liked this book, not your typical vampire story since the vampires are genuinely scary."

I think of Dracula and Carmilla as the prototypical ""Vampire" books. They are the best, and therefore are the ones by which I measure all others. And I find them scary.

How does Sunshine compare to these?

My feeling is that when you say "not your typical vampire story," you are making reference to contemporary Paranormal Riomance, such as the Twilight series and inspired books. ??

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 521 comments Yes. It is definitely not a typical Paranormal Romance vampire.

message 9: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Yes Nick, not typical paranormal/contemporary fantasy vampire.

It does not even stray to Anne Rice's vampires since they are all drop dead gorgeous.

I also like viral-based vampires in The Strain and The Passage.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 82 comments I sam loving the book It is a reread but it is a fun rread