Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Thank you Sue Burke!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:46AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Author Sue Burke has joined our group and has agreed to answer questions in a running Q&A on our sicence fiction pick of the month for June, her Semiosis

As a teaser, in a recent communication she had this to say:

“I just joined. Thanks for the invitation! I look forward to the discussion. One question has already sparked some discussion elsewhere: Each chapter has a different point of view character. What does it do to the storytelling? I know that it resulted in advantages and disadvantages. I had a reason for doing that and was willing to accept the consequences. It also turned out to be a difficult way to write a book.”

Sue thanks so much for participating.

We have set up a special Q&A thread in the BOTM folder for Semiosis. Please stop by with questions and discussion with the author!

Here's a link:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3379 comments Mod
Thank you, Nick, for setting this up, and thank you, Sue Burke, for agreeing to answer questions during our discussion of your book!

message 3: by Nick (last edited Jul 05, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Thank you Sue Burke for answering our questions! We appreciate your stopping by our group!

And now that you've joined, please let us know what you are reading, what you are up to, and what you might like to nominate for a future BOTM!

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Burke (sueburke) | 9 comments Right now, I'm reading "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Soon to be a major motion picture, apparently, and something you've already read here. I'll check the reviews when I'm done. I also read a lot of short fiction and just pre-ordered "Apex Book of World SF 5." Since I'm a translator, I have a lot of interest in SF from other countries.

As for a future BOTM, "Too Like the Lightning" by Ada Palmer has an interesting storytelling style and a surprising plot twist. Unfortunately it's a gateway drug, the first in a series.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 80 comments Yes Children of Time was great!

message 6: by Wekoslav (new)

Wekoslav Stefanovski (swekster) | 40 comments Sue wrote: "Right now, I'm reading "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Soon to be a major motion picture, apparently, and something you've already read here. I'll check the reviews when I'm done. I also ..."

I read Children of Time before I read Semiosis and they very much reminded me of one another, changing the viewpoint characters not just from a human to another human, but across a completely different and incompatible communication barrier and mode of thinking.