Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive YA/Children Group Read > 2018 June - The Black Stallion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8962 comments Mod
I loved the Black Stallion books as a child.
I have started this book and so far I like it.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have read a third of the book and it has been exciting so far.
Alec and the Black have finally arrived home and his parents agree to let him keep
the Black. They must have been very relieved to see their son after such an unexpectedly long absence.

message 3: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 03, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments I like but have never loved The Black Stallion (and have never read any of the sequels). I find it amazing that Walter Farley started writing the novel in high school, and the relationship between Alec and the Black and how he and Henry get along is depicted with both realism and tenderness. However, the entire Thoroughbred racing thematic and how even the Black's tendency towards fighting is often very positively approached and even downright celebrated has always bothered me a bit (and I really cannot stand how often especially Alec feeds the Black sugar cubes, as white sugar is really bad for horses, just like it is for humans).

message 4: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments (view spoiler)

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

When I was around 10 years old or so, I became obsessed with horse books, even though I had never ridden a horse.
Is there anyone in the group who went through a similar phase?

I finally did get to ride a horse when I was 19, my one and only time. I couldn't move the next day and smelled like the horse!

message 6: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Rosemarie wrote: "When I was around 10 years old or so, I became obsessed with horse books, even though I had never ridden a horse.
Is there anyone in the group who went through a similar phase?

I finally did get t..."

Riding a horse will give anyone a huge case of "Muskelkater" (I know that from experience). I have always loved horses because my parents bred horses but I was never that much into riding them as I am not all that coordinated and it drove my parents crazy how lopsided I sat on a horse even when I tried to sit straight. And indeed, my parent's place always smelled like horses (and still does). It actually was sometimes a bit of an issue when I returned to residence at university for some of my residence mates claimed that my suitcases etc. smelled like horses.

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 6300 comments Mod
Actually had an Aunt and Uncle who used Belgians around the farm. We rode them bareback all the time when we were growing up. I loved horses too! So majestic and their eyes you could just get lost in.

message 8: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jun 03, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

Lesle | 6300 comments Mod
Prince and Bob were their names! Uncle Robby picked their names from out of the blue I think! I still can here him calling out "Gee and Haw"

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 520 comments Lesle wrote: "Actually had an Aunt and Uncle who used Belgians around the farm. We rode them bareback all the time when we were growing up. I loved horses too! So majestic and their eyes you could just get lost in."

We used to ride ponies bareback, but I would have been scared to ride a Belgian without a saddle.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I enjoyed this book. It was a fast-paced novel about a boy and his horse, with lots of action and likeable characters.

I liked the scenes with the old horse, Napoleon.