Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] Voting for Pre-Poll

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we have decided to create another list for 2019.

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Suggestions for each poll will be open until 20 suggestions are received and then opened up for voting for one week. Each user will vote for their top 4 and bottom 4 topics in each mini-poll, resulting in 4 challenge entries from each (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

The Pre-Poll:
- Some members have expressed a concern that some themes are consistently popular and pull the votes from other interesting choices. They argue that these themes should be automatically included.
- But since we know there are many members in our group, we want to be sure their voices are heard.
- These are the six themes being considered:

* A previous suggestion that didn't make the list
* Reader's Choice
* A category from another challenge
* A Book from the GR Choice Awards
* A book you meant to read in 2018
* A book published in 2019

Voting ends June 7

Survey Link

message 2: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments Thank you Laura for doing all of this again for the up coming year.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments Yay Laura, you're the best! 😘

message 4: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments Thank you Laura!📚

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 943 comments Thanks Laura! I know this is a lot of work for you ladies, and I really appreciate all that you will do over the next few months. This is awesome and one of the most fun interactions of the group each year 😌

message 6: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Not a problem, everyone :) The love the list process and it's one of my favorite activities in the group!

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8321 comments Mod
Yayayayay! I'm so excited to get started with this!

message 8: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments Great thanks. But the pedantic in me (and probably the fact that I work in surveys every single day of my life!) thinks the categories don't match the question. The question really needs to be..Do you want all 6 themes to be automatically included in the 2019 RC?...with the list you have. With the question the way it is you need response categories as yes, include all 6, and yes, include some themes (record in q2). The no, i only want some themes isn't quite right (and confused me)....but at the end of the day, I'm sure everyone gets what you mean...so ignore me :P

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie | 820 comments Thanks from me too, Laura.

Got my vote in. That was surprisingly hard, considering it's the regular topics. I thought I knew where I stood on them, but when it came down to it, I was really torn.

The GR Choice Awards book is always one of the hardest for me to get hold of, so I don't really like it. But then it feels as though it belongs, that the list wouldn't be right without it, so I've ended up voting for it.

A previous suggestion that didn't make it is one of my favourites, but not knowing what any of those suggestions will be made me hesitate. Still went for it in the end though :)

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jun 05, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

Marie wrote: "Thanks from me too, Laura.

Got my vote in. That was surprisingly hard, considering it's the regular topics. I thought I knew where I stood on them, but when it came down to it, I was really torn. ..."

I was hesitant (and ultimately voted against it) about the previous suggestion as well. I feel like it's one of those catch-all types of prompts that I tend to shy away from (much like the close call or polarizing one from this year's 52). It's basically the same as a freebie or reader's choice, because you can choose anything that will fit a random category.

I love the GR choice one though! I totally understand having trouble getting your hands on those popular books, but I feel like by the end of the year, you should be able to get at least one (although if you're reading in order, having it for the second week may be a challenge...) I ended up reading 5 books (so far this year!) that could have fit that prompt, so I feel like it's a good one to include. (I only voted for the GR choice and the published in 2019 book.)

message 11: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Bec, all the mods work in different areas and, to my knowledge, none of them involve surveys ;)

Emily, the mods can take that idea into consideration once we start ordering the prompts. Maybe have the GR Awards prompt later in the year? (assuming it makes the list)

message 12: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments Laura wrote: "Bec, all the mods work in different areas and, to my knowledge, none of them involve surveys ;)

Oh I know it wasn't meant to be a criticism, just an observation (and my husband tells me I need to stop pointing out people's errors in surveys...the poor people at a tourist place we went to once got a lengthy discussion about overlapping categories when they had something like age, 15-24, 24-30...)

I love the GR challenge, I often don't read the recent books so it makes me feel like I'm up with everyone else when reading this one. I didn't pick Reader's choice as I figured the previous suggestion that didn't make the list is kind of readers choice as the list will be quite long you can almost make anything fit (I did this year, had the book then searched until I found a prompt to fit it). But I like the idea of the rejections list better than just free choice.

message 13: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I joined the group and challenge for the first time this year so I'm very excited to be part of the process for next year's challenge!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments I personally like the Goodreads Choice Awards and the book published the current year prompts, but the others are all essentially free choice to me. I mean, technically I guess all prompts are "free choice" since you can adapt it to fit your tastes as much as possible but the others listed above all seem to be especially easy ones to slip in just about any book you want. There are advantages to that for sure though, especially when you have specific books in mind that you want to fit in and don't seem to fit anywhere else.

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Rachel wrote: "I personally like the Goodreads Choice Awards and the book published the current year prompts, but the others are all essentially free choice to me. I mean, technically I guess all prompts are "fre..."

That's for sure! I'm reading out of order and I've finally hit the point where I need to be selective about what I'm reading so it will fit (or resign myself to a few side-reads). I do feel like Reader's Choice and other very open-ended prompts are a bit redundant though, because we already have a wild card that we can use (which I seem to use on the short stories prompt, forever and always). Just my perspective though! I'd be ok with any of these prompts.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 820 comments I like the suggestion that didn't win because I know there'll be something that I love during the voting process that doesn't make it, so it gives me one last chance to save it (I would've gone for "told in 2nd person" this year). Even if you used it to fit in whatever book you wanted, there's still that puzzle element of finding which category that specific book would fit - kind of how Team No Plan approach the challenge, I'd guess (I'm a planner, guessing's as close as I'll get!).

For GR Choice and 2019 it would definitely help me for them to be late in the list. It's good to know this year that I don't have to get a 2018 book until right at the end of the year, and it gives me the full year of new books to choose from. For GR Choice, I think that's usually early in the list to allow people to vote?

message 17: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I chose GR Choice because it feels right for this category to be part of the challenge.

I also chose a book published in 2019, because that forces me to look for new horizons :P

Readers choice, a category from another challenge and a category that didn't win sounds like the same thing to me, but I chose a category that didn't win, because that category gives me the sensation of giving a chance to that great suggestion I loved, but nobody else did :D

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I voted for them all to be excluded, and I’m now wondering if I’m the only one ... 😂

message 19: by Ira (new)

Ira | 308 comments I voted for Goodreads choice awards, book published in 2019 and a suggestion that didn’t make it.

I feel that Goodreads choice awards fits in this challenge and it gives me motivation to read a hyped book from the previous year. I usually avoid those books because I am scared that I will be disappointed. This prompt pushes me to try.

I usually focus so much to read books that Have been on my tbr shelf for ages, that I forget to check out the new releases. The book published in 2019 prompt gets me to look at new releases and I usually find a lot to choose from.

This group is so creative with the suggestions in every poll that I am always disappointed that some prompts did’t make it. This prompt is a great opportunity to try one of those prompts that I was sad didn’t make it. Can it be used as a free choice?Yes, but I feel you can choose how difficult this prompt is going to be. You can for example push yourself far out of you comfort zone.

message 20: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1547 comments Mod
Just a quick question for the mods to verify: if people mostly vote in favor of adding some of the prompts then the selected prompts will make the list, but the other not-as-voted-for prompts will still be available for people to suggest during the rest of the year? Or will they be treated as rejects?

message 21: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Jody wrote: "I voted for them all to be excluded, and I’m now wondering if I’m the only one ... 😂"

You're not the only one 😂 I only voted for the suggestion that didn't make it to be included (if I remember correctly). I am not really that interested in the GR rewards, so I found that to be bit of a pain this year. The book I ended up with was excellent though (The Hate U Give).

message 22: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Jody wrote: "I voted for them all to be excluded, and I’m now wondering if I’m the only one ... 😂"

I'm almost with you. I only voted for the GR awards. The rest of the tasks I would be happy to get rid off.

message 23: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I’m pretty sure the ones I really don’t want will get through, but that’s fine - it’s just two books. I just don’t really like reading brand new books - I have way too many old ones I need to get through first!

message 24: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Thanks so much for having the pre-poll! I really like the topics that we're considering for automatic inclusion because these prompts give us a wide range of choice. Some of the others we use are quite constraining, and that's fun, but this gives some balance. I like to be pushed a little by the other topics, but I also like the chance to explore on my own that these topics give us.

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Jody wrote: "I’m pretty sure the ones I really don’t want will get through, but that’s fine - it’s just two books. I just don’t really like reading brand new books - I have way too many old ones I need to get t..."

Haha! And I'm the opposite... why read the old, stuffy books when there are new, shiny books in front of you?! (See also, why I was a terrible literature teacher)

message 26: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

I also am the opposite, Emily! I add books to my TBR and then get distracted by new and exciting ones :)

Jackie, I would say this counts as any other poll. So it's essentially the same as if a suggestion is voted on once. I've heard people say they think a prompt should have 3 chances but I don't think we made a choice. How many chances do we think a suggestion have before it is excluded from future suggestions?

message 27: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I’m the same way Emily. Older books tend to take a back burner so I can read the shiny new books. I like the GR choice and the 2019 options because even though it’s the same prompt it’s always a new selection to choose from.

I personally think after two attempts an option should be out because by the third time I put it in my bottom 4 automatically. I feel like if it doesn’t make it the first 2 times enough people don’t want it and we should move on.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments I agree with Charity about the GR choice and 2019 options. It's the same prompt year after year, but at least gives a fresh range of options. In general, I don't tend to enjoy prompts where we have a very limited list to choose from so it's nice that these change each time.

I personally wouldn't automatically bottom 4 a prompt for being suggested too many times, but I think 2-3 attempts is enough usually for people to get the hint that it is not working. I'm always a little curious to see if there are any patterns to what kinds of prompts tend to be voted Top or Bottom 4. I'm sure it changes every year as we gain and lose members, but sometimes it seems really easy to predict winners and other times it's nearly impossible.

message 29: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I don't know... sometimes something can be suggested in the first couple of polls that are good, but not good enough to beat out the stuff we put up in the first suggestions thread. If it's reintroduced in a later suggestions thread, it may rise to the top.

I think we should let the prompts go as many times as they are suggested and seconded, and only throw out the ones that are voted into the bottom 4.

message 30: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Rachel wrote: "I agree with Charity about the GR choice and 2019 options. It's the same prompt year after year, but at least gives a fresh range of options. In general, I don't tend to enjoy prompts where we have a very limited list to choose from so it's nice that these change each time."

It's funny how we all see it differently. I see the GR Choice awards as being a very limited list - sure, it changes each year, but it feels like each year I'm digging for something that even vaguely interests me. 😩

Emily wrote: "Haha! And I'm the opposite... why read the old, stuffy books when there are new, shiny books in front of you?! (See also, why I was a terrible literature teacher)"

Hahahaha! I have just read way more terrible new books than old ones, so I'm generally more wary of reading something that's just been published than of something that's stood the test of time. That's not to say I haven't read some crappy old books though! I'm looking at you, Robinson Crusoe, you twat.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Robinson Crusoe is the worst!

I used to read mostly older books, but it has totally switched for me, and now I love reading new releases. I'm all the time looking at what's brand new at my libraries, especially since I read a lot of nonfiction. I like reading about topics that are very current.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I agree with Emily. We have in the past had prompts in the beginning of the year not being voted for and later on they have indeed made the list.

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments Gulliver's Travels is another one that is terrible. I read new releases for a while, then I swing back to classics.

message 34: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Oh Gulliver’s Travels was woeful.

I’m definitely trying to balance out my reading with more newer books now, so the GR Choice/Published this year prompts aren’t the absolute worst for me, but I think I’m just fatigued from seeing them very year.

message 35: by Perri (new)

Perri | 796 comments Laura wrote: "I also am the opposite, Emily! I add books to my TBR and then get distracted by new and exciting ones :)

Jackie, I would say this counts as any other poll. So it's essentially the same as if a su..."

I think two chances is enough.

message 36: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I enjoy the voting process every year. The only problem is the wait in between voting. Lol

message 37: by dalex (last edited Jun 08, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments I voted against including the GR Choice Awards because I am not a huge fan of the prompts that force me to choose a book that is on a list (especially a relatively short list). I prefer the freedom of choosing my books and figuring out a way to make it fit a prompt.