Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Challenge 2018 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Dusty Shelf Book Scavenger Hunt- July

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:11AM) (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 917 comments Mod
Every other month, I will post up a Scavenger Clue (theme) and that will determine what you choose to pull off your shelf (or the library's shelf) to read.
This will be a difficult (but not too difficult) challenge in that your book has to meet two qualifications.
1. It has to match the Scavenger Clue Theme.
2. It has to have been published over 2 years ago.

That's right! We're aiming at those oldies, but goodies that have been left behind to gather dust for the bright and shiny newer releases.
Any format may be admissible.

Your Clue: Anything Austen/Austenesque goes!
Yep, you read that right. I am going easy on you for this month. Let your fingers do the walking along your shelves and let your mood take you during the lazy days of summer (northern hemisphere, types, anyway). So, the only rule is that it has to have been released for more than two years.

If you're game, leave a comment with your choice by July 1st and then begin reading after the 1st.
As you read or when you complete your read, stop back by and update everyone.
If you run into something in your book that you want to discuss or ask about, sure thing, leave a comment so we can hash it out with you.

message 2: by Kristin (new)

Kristin I'm going to go for The True Darcy Spirit (published 2006) ☺

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Oh, good one, Kristin. I need to think what I want to pick.

message 4: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Great theme!!! :)

Leaning towards.... The Deception at Lyme Or, The Peril of Persuasion (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #6) by Carrie Bebris

message 5: by Georgiana (new)

Georgiana 1792 | 38 comments Ok, I'll find something to read. I've a very dusty attic full of Austenesque books! 😂

message 6: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Oh, Sophia, you were easy on us. Thanks for this post. I love this category... I am really cleaning out my TBR pile between this and the Someone else pick it for me... because those are old ones too.

message 7: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments I'm in, too! I'll get out the feather duster and see what I can find.

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Okay, for the present, I'm going with Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos. It looks like a light summery read. Stay tuned, though... I keep changing my mind. There are several dusty ones to pick from. LOL

message 10: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Well, I went deep into my TBR pile and chose A Most Civil Proposal. It was published in 2013 so that counts. I like these fun challenges that help clear out the old stuff.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Good choice, Jeanne. I last read this about 3 years ago, but I still remember it. Hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments I'm choosing The Earl's Conquest. Been meaning to read this forever!

message 13: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Debbie, that goes so well with An Unwavering Trust. I loved both books. Since you have already read An Unwavering Trust... it will make more sense than if you tried to read it alone.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments I do remember how much I loved Rebecca Fitzwilliam (the Dowager Countess, Anne Darcy's mother and Lady Catherine's stepmother) in An Unwavering Trust. Other books keep elbowing their way in front of The Earl's Conquest. In July, it goes to the head of the line!

message 15: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 545 comments I have had The Three Colonels by Jack Caldwell on my TBR for a couple of years now, about time I read it... Released in 2012.

message 16: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments J. W. wrote: "Well, I went deep into my TBR pile and chose A Most Civil Proposal. It was published in 2013 so that counts. I like these fun challenges that help clear out the old stuff."

I think I'll join you in that one, Jeanne. I'd forgotten I had it and your mention of it jogged my memory. I really like Colin Odom's writing. Consequences will stay in my memory for a long, long time. Lots of tissues needed there!

message 17: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments What fun reading the same book. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed 'Consequences." I own it but have not read it. See you in July.

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana (danarlynn) | 118 comments I am going to dig into Fitzwilliam Darcy An Honourable Man by Brenda J. Webb . It was published in 2011. I have owned it forever, but just haven't gotten around to reading it.

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana (danarlynn) | 118 comments J. W. wrote: "What fun reading the same book. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed 'Consequences." I own it but have not read it. See you in July."

I really enjoyed both.

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Dana wrote: "I am going to dig into Fitzwilliam Darcy An Honourable Man by Brenda J. Webb. It was published in 2011. I have owned it forever, but just haven't gotten around to reading it."

Super, Dana! I think that was my first book by her. :)

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments Morning all,
I am a little new to this group. But I do have a dusty TRB pile so I will start with Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris and with a refresh of Pride and Predjudice itself

message 22: by Sophia (new)

Susan wrote: "Morning all,
I am a little new to this group. But I do have a dusty TRB pile so I will start with Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris and with a refresh of Pride and Predjudice itself"

Yay! Glad you could join us as we dust off the oldies from our shelves. Oh, that's indeed a great candidate. :) Welcome Susan!

message 23: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Welcome to the group Susan. Hope you enjoy cleaning out the dusty TBR pile.

message 24: by Debbie (last edited Jun 23, 2018 05:54PM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Susan wrote: "Morning all,
I am a little new to this group. But I do have a dusty TRB pile so I will start with Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris and with a refresh of Pride and Predjudice itself"

Susan! Always happy to greet a newbie to our little cult of Austen lovers!

I don't know why, but Carrie Bebris is an author whose books I've yet to sample, even though I have some on my TBR pile. I think I may have to read that one in July in addition to the one I already picked. It'll be interesting to see if you and I have the same impressions.

And re-reading Pride and Prejudice is ALWAYS a good idea!

message 25: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Susan wrote: "Morning all,

Welcome! Lol... I'm reading her Persuasion mystery. I haven't read the P&P one yet...I'm odd that way.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments Thank you very much for the warm welcome. Looking forward to getting lost in another time.

message 27: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments The Deception at Lyme Or, The Peril of Persuasion (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #6) by Carrie Bebris

I finished this in the wee hours. Undecided between 3.25-3.5(a violation of my #1 JAFF rule... although considering whom it is.../a few over the top elements but an interesting story to be sure). Going with 3.5(thus a Goodreads 4 star) because of the conclusion to a love triangle. :)

message 28: by Sophia (new)

Look at you, Kirk! All finished and pleased with the outcome if not a few other elements. I wanted that outcome for the love interest, too.

I stayed up to the wee hours, but that was with an Asian historical. Now, I just started my book, Definitely Not Mr. Darcy. So far, getting off to a slow one. We shall see.

message 29: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sophia wrote: "Look at you, Kirk! All finished and pleased with the outcome if not a few other elements. I wanted that outcome for the love interest, too.

I stayed up to the wee hours, but that was with an Asian..."

Yes! Wishing you a better middle and fantastic end for your book. Hmmm...I have an Asian non-JAFF book on my TBR pile. Maybe some day!

message 30: by Sophia (new)

Yes! It's more fiction than romance with many pages so I expected it to have a slower pacing and take it's time. I don't mind if the detail and build up are to a purpose and are interesting, but... I do hope it grabs my interest soon. LOL

message 31: by Dana (new)

Dana (danarlynn) | 118 comments Kirk...I read the first three of those books several years ago. I can't remember hardly anything about them!

message 32: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Dana wrote: "Kirk...I read the first three of those books several years ago. I can't remember hardly anything about them!"

Interesting! I don't think I've read the 1st two. The Sanditon one is far far far and way my favorite. I think it is the only one I'll reread....maybe for a fall challenge.

message 33: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Aaarrrgggh! The month is almost over and I forgot about this month's pick! Okay, will get to my choice as soon as I finish reading my current book. There's still time to get it in under the wire!

message 34: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 545 comments You are not alone Debbie. I totally forgot and to make matters worse... I have unsubscribed Bookmate where the book was... Well, I will have to buy it I suppose.

message 35: by Dana (new)

Dana (danarlynn) | 118 comments I completely forgot about that book. Sigh. Not sure I'll get to it since I have two deadlines looming.

message 36: by Debbie (last edited Jul 24, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Ha! I went to pull up the book--The Earl's Conquest--and discovered that I'd read it a year ago but never wrote a review. When I opened it, it was on the last page. Don't recall details, but I did recall a little of the story when I skimmed a bit of it. (THIS is why I need to always write a review!)

So I've picked a different Dusty Shelf book that I HAVEN'T actually read- Mansfield Restored: Miss Crawford's Return. Am reading it now.

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Wow! Buried treasure! Finished it and wrote my review. Even though it's primarily about Mary Crawford, virtually all the Mansfield Park characters have their roles (except Lord Bartram, who's deceased). I see a lots of influence from Lady Susan here, too. Great story!

message 38: by J. W. (last edited Jul 24, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Finished with time to spare... sounds interesting. I've read one other story of Mary C and have several in my TBR pile that I am holding at arms length. I'm beginning to want to read about her opinions and her side of the story. Thanks for pointing this one out for me. I already had this on on my Amazon wish-list... I just hadn't posted it on GR.

message 39: by Debbie (last edited Jul 24, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments This is a SEQUEL to Mansfield Park, and Mary really doesn't try to justify her actions from that time period, although she references them from time to time. (She wishes Henry had married Fanny, reflects on how much fun they had preparing for the ill-fated play, etc.)

But, yeah, it's a really good story.

message 40: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Oh crap... she's still looking back with those rose-colored glasses and doesn't see the disaster that was about to happen. Hmmm... I'll have to think about it. Since you thing it is a good story... I'll take your word for it.

message 41: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments I don't know. It was not one of my favorites. one of my low ratings I ever gave.

message 42: by Debbie (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments I don't think it's for everyone. Reading a story that's presented through a series of letters rather than more traditional narration is a completely different reading experience. Also, there are no love letters included or any description of a character yearning for that special someone, so there's a definite lack of romance.

I really enjoyed how cleverly and (mostly) credibly the plot unfolds. The author does a great job of distinguishing the individual "voices" of the various letter writers. I am so impressed with the difficulty of the concept and the brilliant execution.

My only criticism--and I didn't mention it in my review because I understood the importance in driving the story forward--is that a couple of letters recounted LONG conversations within quotation marks. Who writes a letter like THAT? But it was only once or twice in the entire book.

Jeanne, it's really hard to respond to your comment without giving out spoilers. If you read it (with the foreknowledge that it's all letters and not very romantic), I think you won't be sorry.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments in cleaning out my room I came across Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Helen Halstead

been on my TBR pile for a long time.

message 44: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Just finished my pick for this month A Most Civil Proposal by C.P. Odom. I know Jeanne was reading the same book this month - she gave me the idea to sig it off that verry dusty shelf, in fact. Like all of Mr. Odom's works, I really enjoyed it and it's a shame he hasn't published anything new for a while. Some people might find there's a little too much mature content after the wedding (shock horror, Darcy and Elizabeth get married!) but it'll get ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ from me.