Classics for Beginners discussion

What Maisie Knew
This topic is about What Maisie Knew
Archive 2018 > June 2018: What Maisie knew

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina | 449 comments In June 2018 we read What Maisie Knew by Henry James. Gisela will lead the discussion. You can put any thoughts, comments, questions, .. here. Happy reading!

Gisela Hafezparast | 116 comments Hi All,

What Maisie Knew was on my to-read list for a long time. I am not sure and it is absolutely not rational, but I have always had a "fear" of Henry James's novels.

However, taking my duties as lead seriously, I have read it and have loved it and I can't wait to hear what you think about the following:

How did you enjoy his style of writing?
I thought the characterization was brilliant, what did you think?
When I read the book, I thought that it could just as easily be set in today's especially rich society?
What do you think would have happened to Maisie? How would she turn out?

Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Gisela

Gisela Hafezparast | 116 comments Nobody interested in this book? I have finished it and I really enjoyed it!

Annerlee I've been thinking about it, Not sure whether it'll be hard going. The subject seems quite dark and the language a bit contrived... any thoughts?

Annerlee Ok - I can get a digital copy of this for free, so I'll give it a go, . I've never read anything by Henry James before.

Should start on Friday at the latest, once I've finished my current read.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 449 comments Ohhh, Annerlee, that is interesting information :-p Is that free copy somewhere online?

Gisela Hafezparast | 116 comments Annerlee, it is not a difficult read at all, but I had the same worries. For some reason I have always associated Henry James with difficult language. Probably picked it up from books :)

However, this is an easy read. True it is all about two parents who should have never married let alone have a child together and what happens to that child, but it very interesting, especially the historical context. Moreover, it could be written in 2018.

Give it a go. There must be a free copy in your library. You won't regret it.

message 8: by Tania (new)

Tania | 25 comments Nina, you can download a free copy of this book from Project Gutenberg. I will try to get to this book, but I have a bit of a backlog at the moment.

Annerlee Theres a free kindle version at Amazon too with a cheap audio version to go with it.

Annerlee I started reading yesterday. The writing style is a bit dated, but now I've got into the rythmn of it, it's ok.

I'm at chapter 11
Cant get over how immature and selfish the adults are. They are so wrapped up in themselves that they underestimate Maisie completely. I wonder how Maisie will develop as she grows older. Up til now she's innocent and trusting and doesn't see the whole picture. But that will change...?

Gisela Hafezparast | 116 comments Annerlee wrote: "I started reading yesterday. The writing style is a bit dated, but now I've got into the rythmn of it, it's ok.

I'm at chapter 11
Cant get over how immature and selfish the adults are. They are s..."

I don't want to comment early, but all I'm saying if you look at how children adapt now to warring parents, there is no difference. What is incredible is how society/government (and Maisie really is a rich girl) takes no responsibility for this child whatsoever. No church person either. Nobody seems to really care about this child. I guess again there are many children like this now.

Heather L  (wordtrix) Finally past the halfway point!

In reference to what others have said about the language, it's not that it is a difficult read, I'm just NOT a fan of his rambling page-plus long paragraphs. Makes it difficult to find a good stopping point sometimes, especially when reading in public/on public transit.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What Maisie Knew (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Henry James (other topics)