Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > June 2018 Group Read - Close to Home, by Cara Hunter

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Jun 01, 2018 12:22AM) (new)

David Gooch | 4084 comments Mod
Close to Home, by Cara Hunter

They know who did it. Perhaps not consciously. Perhaps not yet. But they know.

When eight-year-old Daisy Mason vanishes from her family’s Oxford home during a costume party, Detective Inspector Adam Fawley knows that nine times out of ten, the offender is someone close to home. And Daisy’s family is certainly strange—her mother is obsessed with keeping up appearances, while her father is cold and defensive under questioning. And then there’s Daisy’s little brother, so withdrawn and uncommunicative . . .

DI Fawley works against the clock to find any trace of the little girl, but it’s as if she disappeared into thin air—no one saw anything; no one knows anything. But everyone has an opinion, and everyone, it seems, has a secret to conceal.

Discussion Leader - Beth
Book Link - https://amzn.to/2swNRab

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments This was an OK read for me. My major issue was that the characters were not developed to the point where you cared about any of them. I suppose the inspector's personal life was included to make one empathize with him in this situation but for me, it didn't work. There were other side stories, such as the husband's older son, that I think we're likely included to develop an individual character but for me, it didn't work. The ending was a complete surprise because it involved one of those totally undeveloped characters

message 3: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4084 comments Mod
Right I'm half way through and it is ok as a story but I have to say that the continuing interruption of the story with the inane twitter rubbish is annoying and to me pointless and ruining the read.
I don't need a dozen attempts at giving you people's twitter responses to get an idea, one or two would do. Or the police saying the Twitter is kicking off over the disappearance and it appears to be xxxx, would do.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 605 comments I thought the twitter feed was fairly polite compared to what I have seen so right away it didn't work for me and could have been excluded from the narrative.

Perhaps just saying that public opinion was outraged at the parents would have been sufficient.