Deadly Divas Book Club discussion

June 2018 - The Lucky Ones > Spoiler Section - The Lucky Ones

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) *Spoiler Alert* Let us know all your thoughts as you read The Lucky Ones - please feel free to leave spoilers.

message 2: by Amy Mc (new)

Amy Mc I just finished this morning, and I loved this book! I struggled to get into it at first, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

So many thoughts.. but I can't quite put them together at the moment. I'll be jumping in to the discussions though as they come in!

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) I normally don't start our monthly book until closer to the live show but I've been hearing great things...soooo I decided to try the 1st 2 chapters and I don't want to stop reading!

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jun 23, 2018 12:24AM) (new)

Rachel (theracheldays) | 20 comments Just finished the book. I really enjoyed the world that was created. In terms of the location of the house. I think that's what I loved the most about the book (I am longing to move back home which is by the sea! :D)

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kutsch | 2 comments Just finished this book. Loved it! Gave it 5 stars.

message 6: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 17 comments Just read chapter 1. Sounds interesting. Will read more later.

message 7: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Courts | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "Just finished the book. I really enjoyed the world that was created."
5 Stars!!! I need to get to this soon!!! I was going to wait until next week but I am going to try to start it tomorrow!!!

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 5 comments I just finished The Lucky Ones! I rated it 4/5 stars. I really did enjoy it a lot after I got over the fact that all the adopted children in this family were doing the nasty behind their adopted fathers back. Adopted/foster siblings that fall in love is a trope I really dislike. But the fact that the rest of the book was done well made up for it! I think all the characters were all really interesting people and it really was a creepy, mystery read! Can't wait for the live show

message 9: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Franklin | 10 comments Finished this book tonight and it definitely kept me guessing and enthralled the whole way through. I gave it four out of five stars because the ending hit me just a tiny bit weaker than I expected. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this entire book and would definitely recommend.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin I think the amazing things about books are the difference in opinions that everyone can have! I swear it is like we read different books! Like Jessie, I have a problem with the adopted children/sex, falling in love thing! I will be following along here to see what everyone else thinks!

message 11: by Jessiebee (new)

Jessiebee Well I was a little underwhelmed personally. The book seemed to drag on at the beginning, and even when things were getting interesting, it felt like it was sometimes interrupted by more drag. The last 20% or so was pretty interesting.

I also thought all of them having sex was strange! It didn't make sense how Allison was so upset about McQueen, then she went out to see her family and started sleeping with her adopted brother that she hadn't seen in thirteen years. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I gave this one a low 3/5 stars.

message 12: by Addie Dehart (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:08AM) (new)

Addie Dehart | 27 comments I finished this last night. I think it's probably a 3.5 for me (which is a pretty high rating for me).

I think my biggest problem with the book was the pacing. While reading the beginning of the book I actually flipped over the book to read the back cover because I wasn't sure if I was reading a thriller or a romance. It took a pretty long while to get to the mystery.

Then the last 50 pages of the book to me were incredibly dull. After the big climax with Dr. Capello it seemed to take forever to resolve everything and I found the conclusion to be pretty boring.

The middle however I loved. I found myself taking notes and hypothesizing about what was going on. It was fun.

Like others I also had trouble accepting Roland's and Allison's relationship. It didn't seem very realistic:
1. Allison goes from broken over McQueen to in love with Roland in a blink of an eye.
2. Roland drops his calling as a monk with no hesitation or qualms. (As someone who was raised Catholic I don't buy it).
3. The incest aspect of the relationship.
I know the author tried to explain away all 3 problems but I still struggle with the relationship.

I also don't understand why could Roland, Thora, and Deacon accept their psychopathy if it was caused by a brain tumor but not accept it if it was caused by an error in their brain chemistry/ physiology? If both could be treated by surgery and both result in the same behavior, why is one worse to handle than the other?

Also did anyone else find the pot smoking scene to be one of the most cringy scenes to read. Sometimes I liked the humor between the siblings and other times it fell flat for me.

Overall I liked the book. I would love to make it to the liveshow to discuss it with you all but my son has a baseball tournament that evening (although I've thought I was going to miss all the previous ones and have managed to be there for at least part of it so who knows)

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara Conrad | 6 comments When I first started reading the book my boyfriend asked me what it was about. When I mentioned Dr. Capello, he said "I bet he's experimenting on them." and I disagreed with him, I truly thought one of the former kids had pushed Allison down the stairs. I like that even though I was reading it, I didnt get that sense from the book so that when I got to the end I thought, HOLY CRAP... my boyfriend was right.

I had a little trouble with the not quite incest (and the fact that my grandfathers name is Roland made it a little uncomfortable to read the sex scenes.)

Also who has a 6 six year sex relationship and gets over it in one night of sex with their not really brother?

Over all though it was a good book, which I think will get a 3.5 from me.

message 14: by Reggie (new)

Reggie I finished the book yesterday and while it kept me mostly interested, I had several issues with the book. The main issue was that I don’t like explicit sex in my thrillers and there was quite a bit of it in this book. I did however rate it 3 stars which is average for me.

message 15: by Addie Dehart (new)

Addie Dehart | 27 comments Reggie I read some reviews on the book and apparently the authors's other works have all been erotica and this her first foray into nonerotica. It surprised me too, I didn't really mind it but I wasn't expecting it.

message 16: by Reggie (new)

Reggie Addie- Thank you for letting me know that. Now I understand more about the author. I will just not read her work anymore, because I don’t think she toned it down quite enough for me.

Evil Queen Books  (evilqueenbooks) | 3 comments 2 stars from me. DNF at 194 pages. Good writing style. My main gripe with this book was the romance featured in it. It just took over the story way to much for me. I wanted more of a focus on the mystery surrounding what happened to Allison.

message 18: by Shannon (last edited Jun 18, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments Oh boy, where to start? I guess I'll start with the fact that I loved this book, 5 stars for me. It raised SO many moral and ethical questions, most of which the characters struggled with just as much as I did as the reader, and I don't really have a solid answer to how I feel about.

First off, is it incest if there's no blood relation between any of them? I can understand both the argument for yes and the one for no.

To Addie's question, why could they accept a tumour as a reason for what they were like, but not a brain/chemical imbalance? Maybe because a tumour is basically a "foreign invader" and not part of how they were born?

Is what the doctor did to them wrong or unethical? I completely understand that other kids died and that is tragic, but most (if not all) of the medical advances we have/make today started a long, long time ago with something that by today's standards (even sometimes by that day's standards) was cruel or barbaric, and many, many people died as a result. Where is the line drawn between necessary and unethical/wrong? I honestly don't know.

This book was basically one huge conundrum for me, and I loved it. I don't know the answer to anything I mentioned above. I honestly don't know if there even IS an answer, but it was a lot of fun and very interesting to think about.

Can't wait for the live show ladies!!!!!

message 19: by Addie Dehart (new)

Addie Dehart | 27 comments Shannon I went back and forth on the invest issue too. I feel like Thora and Deacon definitely were incestuous. But I never really came to a conclusion onRoland and Allison. I got my son's ball schedule for Friday and he plays at 6 CST. So I should be able to be there for at least a little of the live show. Yay!

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments Addie wrote: "Shannon I went back and forth on the invest issue too. I feel like Thora and Deacon definitely were incestuous. But I never really came to a conclusion onRoland and Allison. I got my son's ball sch..."

Yay! Can't wait! And yes, SO many moral/ethical dilemmas! I absolutely loved how thought provoking this book was!

message 21: by Sandi (last edited Jun 18, 2018 04:03PM) (new)

Sandi Sullivan | 21 comments Sandi Sullivan |
This book had very little mystery and way too much romance. I have a lot of issues with this book and the relationships within it. The book starts with McQueen breaking up with Allison and she leaves to go home to Oregon because her foster father is dying and in a very short time she's having sex with her foster brother who is now a Benedictine Monk???? And who in their right mind would stay around after your Foster dad tries to kill you. He was sick and twisted , but dying or not I would have kicked his sorry ass down the stairs. Then when I think Allison is finally making a smart decision in leaving, nope she’s staying in crazy town. WTF ????? This book was just bizarre from the first page until the last page. I gave this book 3 stars and that was being generous.

message 22: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Calhoun | 8 comments I struggled to get over the “sibling” relationships. I then guessed who pushed her with 2.5 hours left in the audiobook. It was a unique story, and really twisted.

message 23: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 5 comments Just finished - I'm conflicted on my rating, maybe 3 - 3.5

Totally agree, the last part of the book after the climax was DULLSVILLE. That is where my rating took a hit, I just stopped caring and was constantly rolling my eyes.

Too heavy on the romance. I don't hate the foster thing, it was cringy at times but what got me was when she would constantly "think back to when he was 16 and she was 12" during their foreplay... uh no.

I was hoping it would be revealed that Allison was also a ragdoll at the very end. Not sure if the the author wanted us to think she was also a subject?

Just loved the idea so much, wish there was more twisty brain stuff instead of all the foster sibling sex.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Jordan (bkjordan) | 8 comments This book was OK...it was more of a steamy romance novel with a little mystery thrown in. It started off with a bang and I was looking for more suspense and excitement which never developed. However, I wanted to see the story through to the end. I wouldn’t really consider it a thriller. The relationships were strange and a little hard to wrap my head around...2.5 stars for me.

message 25: by Candice (new)

Candice (candicerosado) | 21 comments I just finished the audiobook and I have it 5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. I can't wait for Friday's discussion.

message 26: by Marnie (new)

Marnie Griffith | 4 comments This was an interesting read. The topic of incest is one I haven’t read before even tho technically they weren’t biological siblings and then the medical experiments. I found myself flip flopping btwn yes I think what Dr Cappella did was right and then I would think no this is immoral. Overall this was a good book. I listened to the audio and the narrator was great.

message 27: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments Hope you can all make it on Friday for the liveshow ...lots to discuss

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 6 comments Wow, lots of really diverse opinions on this one. I can't wait to raise all these ideas in the live show!

message 29: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (tealsmom) | 6 comments Well, i didnt like this. I dont care for romance, and there was a lot in this. Not a thriller for me.

message 30: by Cookie (new)

Cookie (thebookcat) | 1 comments This was a fantastic live show ladies. While I only gave this a 3 star rating, I really enjoyed the discussion around mental illness and I now see this book in a different light. I’m really looking forward to next month’s reads. Thank you Jen for recommending The Book of M. I am excited to dive into that one!

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 12 comments Really enjoyed the live show discussion!! Thank you ladies! Own both of July selections, and very excited about Book of M.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Quinn | 23 comments I agree Rita, the live show was so much fun! There was a lot of different opinions, so it was a great discussion! Can't wait for July's picks!

message 33: by Therese (new)

Therese (avablue14) | 36 comments I was late to the live show but still enjoyed being part of a special group! I had a tough June so I didn’t get past two chapters. I bought the book new on Amazon but it didn’t cost much and I’m going to read it with an open mind and give my thoughts - kind of like a do over, starting new, like the past few months have led to me feeling this way. Can’t wait for the rest of 2018! I’m lucky to be part of this group!

message 34: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 5 comments Just finished the book and that it was a solid story. I did not have as much of an issue with Roland going against his calling as a monk. My thoughts are his big reason for becoming a monk was the event that happened with Allison on the beach 13 years ago. Allison coming back in his life and basically absolving him of what happened when they were kids, may have made it easier to put aside his commitment.

My favorite character was Deacon, just loved his attitude. He felt to me the glue that kept them all so close. I also loved that Allison found her family and because of this she was not afraid to be “alone”.

Loved the live show and hope to catch it next month.

message 35: by Trish (new)

Trish (jpolking) | 135 comments Happy you enjoyed the book and hope you can make July’s liveshow xo