Reading the Detectives discussion

A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
This topic is about A Quiet Life in the Country
Group reads > June 2018 - A Quiet Life in the Country

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10526 comments Mod
This is the general discussion thread for our discussion of A Quiet Life in the Country by T.E. Kinsey, published in 2014.

Please do not post spoilers here, thank you.

This is one of only a handful of 'new' novels, written in the GA style. We normally seem to be purists and vote for books which are published in that inter-war period, or there about.

This was also, I believe, first self-published as a series of inter-weaving stories and then combined into a novel. As such, I am interested to hear what we all think of it.

I actually picked it up as an Audible Deal of the Day. I found it a very enjoyable story - although I think you can tell it comes from different stories, as there are a lot of different storylines running at the same time. Perhaps, had it been written as a novel, in the first place, the author might have kept it simpler, but I liked it generally. Interested to hear your thoughts.

message 3: by Judy (last edited May 31, 2018 11:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9419 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "This was also, I believe, first self-published as a series of inter-weaving stories and then combined into a novel. As such, I am interested to hear what we all think of it..."

You're right, Susan, according to the author page for T E Kinsey - somebody asked how he revised the first two books, and he replied:

The first two books were originally self-published. They were each a collection of four "episodes" (longer than short stories, shorter than "novellas"). When they were republished by Thomas & Mercer I reworked them so that they became novels.

It's difficult to describe the exact process without giving away spoilers, but some of the stories were merged and interweaved to form two single narratives.

message 4: by Judy (last edited May 31, 2018 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Apologies, but there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this book!

I've just noticed that the reply above by the author appears to be misleading - because, looking at the Goodreads blurb for the older edition, it mentions 4 short stories or "episodes", but 2 of these are not actually included in the novel!

I think, at least initially, we should keep our discussion to the two stories that are included in the novel, The Body in the Woods and The Case of the Missing Case.

Two other stories, The Circus Comes to Town and The Half Death of Günther Ehrlichmann, mentioned in the Goodreads blurb are not included in the novel - I've now checked and it looks as if these are not reworked in the second novel in the series either. Talk about confusing. :(

message 5: by Judy (last edited Jun 01, 2018 12:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

To avoid further confusion, I did just look to see if I could get hold of an older edition on Kindle to compare the two versions, but it looks to me as if it has been withdrawn.

After googling this a bit more, I am guessing that bits of the other two stories are probably included in the novel, but he has got rid of the main storylines for those to avoid too many mysteries in one novel. So it probably won't matter in terms of spoilers if these do get mentioned in our discussion. :)

If anyone would like to know more about the author and the Lady Hardcastle mysteries, he has a website with an amusing bio included:

http://www.tekinsey.uk/index.html

T stands for Tim, but I don't think he reveals what E stands for!

You know, I kind of assumed (obviously incorrectly!) that the author was female...

I thought it was likely to be a female writer, too - I think because it is a female narrator, plus the fact that other female writers such as JK Rowling have published under their initials.

Is anyone planning to carry on with this series? I will give it a miss as I didn't like this one much.

message 10: by Pamela (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pamela (bibliohound) | 395 comments Judy wrote: "Is anyone planning to carry on with this series? I will give it a miss as I didn't like this one much."

No, but I've decided I'm going to give any modern GA authors a miss, with the possible exception of Nicola Upson's Josephine Tey books. I don't find them as enjoyable as the ones actually written in the GA period, and there are plenty of those that I haven't read yet.

I wouldn't mind listening to the next on Audible. I quite enjoyed it and it was easy listening in the car. I am currently listening to Death in a White Tie

Sandy | 3015 comments Mod
I'm not planning on continuing the series; there are just too many more I like better.

I think it was, generally, a bit of a 'thumbs down,' from the group. Never mind.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 899 comments I started out liking it a lot but just when I wanted it to take a turn for the serious, it took a turn for the silly. Even Gervase Fen considers murder a weighty matter! I do not expect to read on unless I hear of a sibsequent one that is highly regarded.

A Talent for Murder is currently winning the vote. If it wins, I am now a little nervous about how another modern take on GA fiction will be taken - gulp!

message 16: by Judy (new) - rated it 2 stars

I have nothing against modern takes on GA in general, Susan, just didn't enjoy this particular one! I'm going to carry on with Nicola Upson and would be interested to give the Christie ones a try too.

message 17: by Alan (new)

Alan I have A Talent for Murder out from the library, so I'm hoping it wins!! :) Even if it doesn't, I'm looking forward to starting it in the next few days.

message 18: by Jill (last edited Jun 19, 2018 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2179 comments I didn't vote for A Talent for Murder but I have now found I have the second book so hoping it is good.

There are so many good books in the poll this month, I would happily read any of them. One of the things I thought might appeal about A Talent for Murder is that it deals, in a fictitious way, with Christie's disappearance, which, of course, we read a buddy read about a while ago. I was interested to see what everyone thought of this take on events...

Tara  | 831 comments I agree that this was silly, but I would still want to hang out with Lady Hardcastle and Armstrong. Its a light read that was fun to listen to while I was busy doing other things.