Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (5 Beautiful Stars)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 254 comments In The Language of Flowers, the debut novel of Vanessa Diffenbaugh, she weaves together themes of the foster care system, the relationships between mothers and daughters/sons and finding home all while showing how sometimes you need to turn to things besides words (like flowers) to communicate what you really want to say.

The story is told from the perspective of Victoria Jones and chapters alternate between her life beginning with her emancipation from foster care and what happens afterwards and her childhood in foster care. Along her journey, she encounters people both old and new to her life who each chip away at the areas she has hardened herself in and show how authentic human connection coupled with green growing things can help heal deep wounds and cause something beautiful to grow instead! Diffenbaugh's prose is captivating and with it she tells a story that is both heartbreaking and hopeful.

I can't say more without spoiling the end of this beautiful story but what I can tell you is to have a tissue box nearby because you are going to need it! Make sure to not skip the special appendix at the end!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this when I read it as an ARC many years ago.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I’ve had this on my TBR forever. I really need to get to it this year!

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments Thanks Hayjay! This sounds special

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9375 comments I thought this was a beautiful book! Something about it you never forget. Rough in places.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I agree Amy. I still remember it really clearly.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read this with my book club some years back. We all enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars.

message 8: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 290 comments Without looking it up it was a 4/5 stars for me. A lovely surprise as it was one of those books I picked up because of the cover art.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments punxsygal wrote: "Without looking it up it was a 4/5 stars for me. A lovely surprise as it was one of those books I picked up because of the cover art."

I think the cover sold me on this one, too! I remember that I kept looking up flowers to discern the "hidden" meanings!

message 10: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1644 comments I loved this book when I read it and it is still memorable to me, so many years later. I keep hoping that the author will write another book.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9375 comments She did write another book. Which wasn’t bad. But you have to be able to get through the toughness of the first chapter or two. I almost couldn’t make it! But then I was glad I read on.

message 12: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1644 comments Amy wrote: "She did write another book. Which wasn’t bad. But you have to be able to get through the toughness of the first chapter or two. I almost couldn’t make it! But then I was glad I read on."

I'll have to check it out. Thank you for letting me know!