Classic Trash discussion

Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)
This topic is about Hollywood Wives
Hollywood Wives > Hollywood Wives: In Progress ( No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1082 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please.

Cheryl | 949 comments I'm about a quarter of the way through the book. What a trashy read! Even the sex scenes are hilariously bad. I'm still trying to figure out if Jackie Collins was that bad of a writer or if she purposely wrote it that way. I'm not sure how the murder in the prologue fits in, but that storyline is continued through the book. So far, not many characters to like. Montana and perhaps Angel. I wish the book was a little shorter. I don't know if it really requires 510 pages (in the edition I'm reading) to tell this story.

message 3: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 949 comments A little over a third of the way through now. The story has bogged down a bit, and there's too many unsexy sex scenes that are thrown in to pad the story. There's more about the murder, but still not sure how it'll tie in to the Hollywood characters. I think this book is better when read in shorter bits than if you read alot of chapters at a time. Otherwise, it feels a bit overwhelming.

Good to know!

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments Maybe it’s one of those romance novels where you skip ahead to the good parts. Not that I do that...I heard some people do. 😏

Cheryl | 949 comments Sarah wrote: "Maybe it’s one of those romance novels where you skip ahead to the good parts. Not that I do that...I heard some people do. 😏"

If you mean the sex scenes as the good parts, they really aren't very well written. I might skip ahead to read the actual story - which isn't all that interesting to me, either. It's all about this hot new movie that's going to be made and what actors will be in it. There is that odd murder sideplot, too. I'll stick with it for awhile yet.

Cheryl | 949 comments At fifty percent in, the plot has picked up again and has become more interesting. The book could probably use about 100 pages edited from it. It is holding my interest, so it looks like I'll finish it.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments I’m still waiting for the library to unhold my copy. It’s a surprisingly hard book to find around here.

message 9: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 04, 2018 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 949 comments Sarah wrote: "I’m still waiting for the library to unhold my copy. It’s a surprisingly hard book to find around here."

Wow, that's interesting. Maybe the library cleared alot of older books like that from its shelves - especially if it hadn't been checked out alot?

Well after the fifty percent mark, the book really takes off. There's a big Hollywood party for the film being made, and it's pretty amusing. Alot of the many individual plotlines intersect here. I'm reading through the chapters pretty quickly now.

I am really enjoying all the little digressions where Collins gives everybody's shocking backstories.

Cheryl | 949 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am really enjoying all the little digressions where Collins gives everybody's shocking backstories."

I liked those, too. I think you'll really enjoy the second half, because backstories become a more frequent part of the book.

Collins also name checks Bagwan Shree Rajneesh. He's everywhere!

message 13: by iasa (new) - rated it 3 stars

iasa | 3 comments I was just going to read a few chapters this morning, but I zipped through three quarters of it. I agree the sex scenes are not well written, but at least they are short. I am perplexed by the murder side plot, I mean it's pretty obvious where it is heading but it seems a little over the top

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments Man! I see what Cheryl was saying about it lagging in the middle. This thing kind of fails in the over-arching plot category, not that this is a deal-breaker, but the bad scene description should be killing it. But - it’s nevertheless juicy. I do wish the sex scenes were better. Has anyone read the sequel? Is it worth it?

Iasa wrote: "I was just going to read a few chapters this morning, but I zipped through three quarters of it. I agree the sex scenes are not well written, but at least they are short. I am perplexed by the murd..."

I am hoping everyone dies in the end.

Cheryl | 949 comments Sarah wrote: "Man! I see what Cheryl was saying about it lagging in the middle. This thing kind of fails in the over-arching plot category, not that this is a deal-breaker, but the bad scene description should b..."

Keep reading. Once you get to the big party scene, the plot vastly improves. Also, much more is revealed about the murder plot and that becomes the major focus in the second half. However I agree - the sex scenes do not improve. They do become less frequent, though.

Cheryl | 949 comments Iasa wrote: "I am perplexed by the murder side plot, I mean it's pretty obvious where it is heading but it seems a little over the top  ."

Lasa,

Everything about this book is over the top, and on purpose. I think the author just wanted to make a sleazy bestseller and threw everything she could think of into the plot.

Cheryl | 949 comments Adelaide wrote: "I am hoping everyone dies in the end. "

Ha! That's what I was thinking when I was reading it. Lots of twists at the end.

I am about halfway through, and I've decided I like the bad sex scenes. I don't really want any details about what these people are doing. Ew.

Also, I hope we learn more about the guy who keeps peeing in the pool.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments Did you get to the part where two people get “stuck?”

🤮

Sarah wrote: "Did you get to the part where two people get “stuck?”

🤮"

NO I HAVE NOT. I CANNOT WAIT.

I am still reading this! I just took a break for awhile.