Play Book Tag discussion

Those Who Save Us
This topic is about Those Who Save Us
Archive: Other Books > Those Who Save Us 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 380 comments This is a WWII story told from the German perspective. It is the story of Anna and her daughter Trudy who was a baby during the war. We learn the things both heroic and questionable that Anna does just to survive. It is also the story of the affect this has had on Trudy 50 years later. Anna refuses to talk about the subject and Trudys' memories are spotty as she was so young. I have to admit I never really gave a thought as to the suffering the "average" German citizens went through. The book was in turns horrifying in the atrocities described and inspiring in the heroics and risks people took to help others. I couldn't read this fast enough.

Booknblues | 6856 comments I read this recently and was impressed by her use of the moral dilemmas presented in the book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9342 comments This is one of my favorite authors, and I have loved this book. I actually really liked the storm chasers too. Although folks Have not liked that as much. She has a new one out, but I think it’s titled the lost family.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8421 comments Cheryl wrote: "This is a WWII story told from the German perspective. It is the story of Anna and her daughter Trudy who was a baby during the war. We learn the things both heroic and questionable that Anna does ..."

I have been reading a lot of WWII books as of late, for a number of reasons. I have only found one from the German viewpoint(and it is fictional)One Man's Flag. Adding this one to my TBR shelf-thanks for the review!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Joanne wrote: "I have been reading a lot of WWII books as of late, for a number of reasons. I have only found one from the German viewpoint(and it is f ..."

Here are two more for you ...
Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi
The Reader by Bernard Schlink

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review. I have this on my TBR and I’m looking forward to reading it.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9342 comments Rachel, that one is a winner. You are so much fun to follow this year.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5156 comments The Book Thief is also from the German point of view.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Rachel, that one is a winner. You are so much fun to follow this year."

This week as been too busy for me. I'm looking forward to reading more soon and getting to this book.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8421 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I have been reading a lot of WWII books as of late, for a number of reasons. I have only found one from the German viewpoint(and it is f ..."

Here are two more for you ...
[book:Sto..."

Thank you!