Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Looking for a Gothic Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 31, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Hey all! I love Gothic novels on the line of Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights, Rebecca and My Cousin Rachal, or even more recent, The Thirteenth Tale. Any recommendations along those lines?

message 2: by Serene (new)

Serene  Djent (tintagliafyre) | 4 comments PLEASE read Tess of the D'Urbervilles = I don't know it has a Gothic novel but I think there are elements that make it so, like there is a feeling of complete hopelessness throughout the novel. It's one of my favourites so you have to tell me how you found it :)

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 696 comments It may be too old-school-sentimental, but perhaps the most famous historical gothic is The Mysteries of Udolpho. Written at the end of the eighteenth century but set in the sixteenth, I believe. Not that there’s any historical accuracy.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Serene wrote: "PLEASE read Tess of the D'Urbervilles = I don't know it has a Gothic novel but I think there are elements that make it so, like there is a feeling of complete hopelessness throughout t..."

Yes, I love Tess of the D'urbervilles! Already read and thanks for helping me remember this one. I need to put his under my reviews!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Abigail wrote: "It may be too old-school-sentimental, but perhaps the most famous historical gothic is The Mysteries of Udolpho. Written at the end of the eighteenth century but set in the sixteenth, ..."

I will put it on my TBR list. Thank you!

message 6: by Ann☕ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Best Gothic Books Of All Time on Listopia.

I'd suggest The Woman in White, The Canterville Ghost, or The House at Riverton. Kate Morton's novel has a gothic feel to it, although she is a contemporary author.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann wrote: "Best Gothic Books Of All Time on Listopia.

I'd suggest The Woman in White, The Canterville Ghost, or The House at Riverton. Kate Morton's n..."

Thanks! I just put them all on my TBR list!!

message 8: by Chris (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:17PM) (new)

Chris | 466 comments D.K. wrote: "Ann wrote: "Best Gothic Books Of All Time on Listopia.

I'd suggest The Woman in White, The Canterville Ghost, or The House at Riverton. Kate Morton..."</i>
</i>
I actually thought the House at Riverton was more like Downton Abby but Morton's [book:The Distant Hours
had quite the gothic feel to it. Certainly almost all the Victoria Holt books and many of the Mary Stewart and Barbara Michaels books fall into the gothic category. Also Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey

message 9: by Ann☕ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:25PM) (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Chris wrote: "D.K. wrote: "Ann wrote: "Best Gothic Books Of All Time on Listopia.

I'd suggest The Woman in White, The Canterville Ghost, or The House at Riverton. [autho..."

I haven't read The Distant Hours, so thanks for the comment.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read all the Victoria Holt books and Jane Austen. I'm going to add The Distant Hours, as well. Thanks!

message 11: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 579 comments I'm not sure how historical it is, but The Shadow of the Wind definitely had the Gothic vibe.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I'm not sure how historical it is, but The Shadow of the Wind definitely had the Gothic vibe."

Ahhh, The Shadow of the Wind is my all time favorite book! Yes, very Gothic feel and I have yet to find one to match it.

message 13: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 63 comments Umm, maybe house of shadows by nicola cornick?