Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Tess of the D’Urbervilles
This topic is about Tess of the D’Urbervilles
Thomas Hardy Collection > Tess of the d'Urbervilles: Discussion No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9873 comments Mod
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy is our June 2018 Group Reread.

We read this book in 2013. Hope you can join with us for this read.

Matt (mmullerm) | 880 comments I am currently reading the intro to Tess of the D’Urbervilles and learned that Thomas Hardy was born on June 2, 1840, so June is a good month to be reading this!

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt wrote: "I am currently reading the intro to Tess of the D’Urbervilles and learned that Thomas Hardy was born on June 2, 1840, so June is a good month to be reading this!"

I didn't know that. How apropos.

George P. | 582 comments I got an early start and am nearly half though "Tess...". I have read one previous Hardy, Far From the Madding Crowd which I liked very much. I am enjoying Tess as well. They both have a framing of romantic troubles though they are not what I would consider "romance" novels.
Interesting that Hardy was a mature man of 50 when writing this book. He certainly had an impressive ability with language which you don't usually see in a writer under 40. He could still make you feel the pull of romantic attraction though.

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I will be starting this in a week or so. I really enjoy Hardy's works so I am really looking forward to it.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 5121 comments Mod
Having started reading this in late March, I was about half way finished when Kimberly nominated it for re-reading. I’m glad it won I am looking forward to following the discussion. I have now read three books by Hardy and have truly enjoyed his writing and storytelling. I now consider him a favorite author and I will be reading more if not everything he wrote. As for Tess, a solid 5 stars for me.

Bobbie | 101 comments I have had this on my TBR for awhile so was glad it was voted to be read this month. I should be ready to begin in a couple of days.

Carlo | 206 comments I like the unusual (but believable) story behind the durbyfield name and how Tess’ father suddenly puts on airs and graces. I’m looking forward to how he changes his attitude towards his friends and peers.

The book then takes on a sinister tone towards the end of the first part. The writing was so subtle I had to do a double take to digest what really happened there.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carlo wrote: "I like the unusual (but believable) story behind the durbyfield name and how Tess’ father suddenly puts on airs and graces. I’m looking forward to how he changes his attitude towards his friends an..."

Ooo, tell me more, but in the spoiler thread.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I like Hardy's descriptions of the various locations in the book. I read the book many years ago and still remember the vivid description of the dairy.

Nente | 780 comments I'm starting now.
Rosemarie, it's so true about the description of places in his books. I also read and loved The Return of the Native, where Egdon Heath is almost another character in the novel, and not a minor one either.

Nente | 780 comments Also, does anyone plan to read both this and The Mill on the Floss? If so, I hope you have an absolutely happy and shining month apart from reading, because surely the two together would get down even a twinkling fairy...

George P. | 582 comments Nente wrote: "Also, does anyone plan to read both this and The Mill on the Floss? If so, I hope you have an absolutely happy and shining month apart from reading, because surely the two together would get down e..."

Yes, in Far from the Madding Crowd some of the main characters are dead or in prison by the end- Hardy has a reputation for dark plots.

George P. | 582 comments Carlo wrote:
The book then takes on a sinister tone towards the end of the first part. The writing was so subtle I had to do a double take to digest what really happened there. .."

Hardy certainly was very indirect and only gave hints where sex was concerned; certainly very different from most of today's novels, isn't it!

Bobbie | 101 comments I got started on this yesterday but not far along. It is starting out very well, I believe I will enjoy it. This is my fifth Thomas Hardy book.

Carlo | 206 comments I found Tess’ mother’s reaction to her daughter’s predicament appalling. I long for a sense of justice and redemption in this book but something tells me I’m not going to get it. Reading on ...

message 17: by Wend (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Just starting as a re-read from many moons ago. Hardy was a real favourite of mine, however I've only read a few of his books.Let's see if this is as good 40 years on!

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Nente wrote: "I'm starting now.
Rosemarie, it's so true about the description of places in his books. I also read and loved The Return of the Native, where Egdon Heath is almost another character in the novel, a..."

I agree heartily with your statement that Egdon Heath was another character in the novel.

Carlo | 206 comments Got a bit sick of d’Urberville popping up out of the blue every five minutes like some ghost from Scooby-Doo.

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love just listening to the music of Hardy's words as he describes the scenes in the book.

message 21: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally I'm just commenting so I'll get updates and will be reminded to actually read this this month. Looking forward to it!

message 22: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hope you can join us. I'm about halfway, so should finish this month.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 30 comments Nente wrote: "Also, does anyone plan to read both this and The Mill on the Floss? If so, I hope you have an absolutely happy and shining month apart from reading, because surely the two together would get down e..."

Thanks for the warning Nente. I remember when I read this book. I felt such incredible pain. I felt wrung out by the unfairness of her life. I was probably only 20 at the time, when my emotional reactions were often intense. (I try to remember that whenever I wish I were 20.)

I really want to read something by George Eliot, and The Mill on the Floss appeals to me the most. I'm also reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I've always loved.

Bobbie | 101 comments I am in the last 100 pages and I am anxious to finish so I can read the Spoiler thread. I want to heard what others think after finishing, Thomas Hardy is so disheartening most of the time.

message 25: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Lopez Just finished Phase 1; like it so far! Very intriguing!

message 26: by Yu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yu | 9 comments What do you guys think about Alec D'urbervilles? Do you hate him?

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Just finished Part 3 - Phase the third. A rather pleasant interlude in poor Tess's life. My main takeaway from this section is the way Hardy can set the scene. His descriptions of the environs down to the flies really makes the setting come alive

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm in the section of Angel's courtship for Tess.

Jehona | 182 comments I just started this. I read the introduction last month and stopped there. I have a bias against this book. It was mentioned in 50 Shades of Grey.

message 30: by MKay (new) - rated it 4 stars

MKay | 277 comments Reading this behind schedule, but wanted to get to this one.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

MKay wrote: "Reading this behind schedule, but wanted to get to this one."

I hope you enjoy it. Although it is not a happy novel.

Ashley Adams | 40 comments MKay wrote: "Reading this behind schedule, but wanted to get to this one."

I'm with you MKay! Still about 150 pgs to go.

George P. | 582 comments MKay wrote: "Reading this behind schedule, but wanted to get to this one."

Better late than never- it's definitely worth reading and those of us who have finished will probably still respond to your comments or questions.

message 34: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Apr 30, 2021 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3633 comments Mod
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy is the Revisit the Shelf Book for June 2021. This is the No Spoiler Thread. Careful, some of the earlier posts do border on spoilers. Do you plan on joining the discussion? Have you read this book before, or will this be a new read for you?

Personally, I read it in about 1985 and saw the movie at about the same time. I have not reread since. That is long enough that I barely remember any details.

Michaela | 757 comments I want to read it, as it´s probably the only Hardy I never read, though I´m a big fan. Never saw the film either, so totally new to me.

Nente | 780 comments Well Michaela, as you're a Hardy fan you'll know it's heartbreaking and will be ready. Definitely worth it anyway.

Lori  Keeton | 958 comments I have not read this or seen the movie but have it on my Bingo challenge. Definitely excited to join although should be preparing for a heartbreak.

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 5121 comments Mod
I'm a real fan of Hardy and Tess is top notch, a true favorite, enjoy.

Terry | 1864 comments I read this many moons ago, and enjoyed it, but I won’t be joining this month as I have too much already assigned!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I've wanted to read this for a long time, so I'm joining in. Looking forward to it.

message 41: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6109 comments Mod
Hoping you all enjoy this book, especially those coming to it for the first time. I adore Hardy.

Janelle | 712 comments I love this book! I won’t be rereading but look forward to the discussion.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) | 512 comments I will be rereading and joining in the discussion.

message 44: by LiLi (new) - rated it 5 stars

LiLi | 149 comments I have not read this book, but it is next on my TBR. I read another Hardy a few years ago amd was very impressed by his work.

message 45: by LiLi (new) - rated it 5 stars

LiLi | 149 comments Is there a reading schedule?

message 46: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 4 stars

No, no reading schedule. For the category Revisit the Shelf, a book is read in one month's time. We usually set reading schedules and multiple spoiler threads for long-read books. In that category we take three months to read a book. Still, a thread is never closed. If you do not finish in one month and wish to comment later, please do.

message 47: by LiLi (new) - rated it 5 stars

LiLi | 149 comments Okay. It sounds like I should perhaps not join the discussion until I've read the book, if it's all going to be in the same thread. I'll try to read quickly!

Sorry, I think this is my first read with this group so I didn't know the format. :)

message 48: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 4 stars

LiLi wrote: "Okay. It sounds like I should perhaps not join the discussion until I've read the book, if it's all going to be in the same thread. I'll try to read quickly!

Sorry, I think this is my first read w..."

No apologies necessary. You can decide if you want to wait to the end, or if you do want to say a few things along the way. I have read parts of spoiler threads before finishing the book. I have not felt that any discussion ruined a book for me. Some people may be more sensitive to that though than I am.

Angelique | 31 comments Goodmorning!

Of all books for June, Tess was the only one lurking on my kindle (well, apart from Dune, but I finished that last year), so I guess I'll join you on this one. I need to finish The Shell Seekers first, and I'm not a quick reader, specially not on my e-reader, but I'll do my best.

message 50: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Penhallow | 62 comments I'm excited to read this and started last night. Far From the Madding Crowd is one of my favourite books but I've never read another Hardy so that needs to be rectified.

Only a few chapters in and I am already getting the same expansive countryside feeling. It has sent me down a rabbit hole of googling where all the settings are based on.

This Wiki is very useful.

« previous 1