50 books to read before you die discussion

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Book Disscusions Nominated Books > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Buck (spectru) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer was voted our group read for June 2018 from open nominations.

Buck (spectru) I read this a year or two ago. It's good; I enjoyed it, but I'll need to be prompted to remember details.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments Same here

Buck (spectru) Guernsey is an island in the English channel, south of England and closer to France. Until I read this book I hadn't known that it was occupied by the Germans in WWII.

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 73 comments I listened to this audiobook and just loved it. I especially liked the pig farmer, Dorsey. The format ... using letters as narrative ... is very clever and engaging.

Annie (annie_thomas) This was a good read with the location making all the difference. Watched the movie too recently and I liked it even better than the book (rare event!)

I also like the history behind how the book was published - posthumously. Blurb from the authors page in goodreads
"Mary Ann Shaffer worked as an editor, a librarian, and in bookshops. Her life-long dream was to someday write her own book and publish it. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was her first novel. Unfortunately, she became very ill with cancer and so she asked her niece, Annie Barrows, the author of the children’s series Ivy and Bean, as well as The Magic Half, to help her finish the book. Mary Ann Shaffer died in February 2008, a few months before her first novel was published."

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 73 comments Annie wrote: "This was a good read with the location making all the difference. Watched the movie too recently and I liked it even better than the book (rare event!)

I also like the history behind how the book ..."

Oh I did not know that! What a shame, but wonderful that she left such a legacy. I will have to look for the movie!

Maybel | 2 comments Oh I should definitely watch the movie then because this is one of my favourite books of the year! The letter format was so engaging, and had me thinking why don't we write letters anymore? I don't think I will be able to ever compose such brilliant heartfelt letters in as concise words. There was so much emotion and connection reading each letter as we watched friends bonding and new relationships being formed. So brilliant a read!

Christine Maybel wrote: "Oh I should definitely watch the movie then because this is one of my favourite books of the year! The letter format was so engaging, and had me thinking why don't we write letters anymore? I don't..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I have it on my Kindle but haven't read it yet. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Maybel | 2 comments Christine wrote: "Maybel wrote: "Oh I should definitely watch the movie then because this is one of my favourite books of the year! The letter format was so engaging, and had me thinking why don't we write letters a..."

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it too!

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 16 comments Also loved this book and will watch the film as well

Elina Tola (Bookeliina) (elinatola) | 1 comments This year I have been trying to read the book before watching movie (not always)
My coppy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society arriwed last week and I read it in two sittings.
The storyline, characters and it being an epistorial book - it was so amazing that it was hard to belive that it was work of fiction. And the backstory about author makes it even better.