Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2018 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments August 2018 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by Melanti (last edited Jun 02, 2018 04:04AM) (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments In case anyone misses it, we actually currently have a tie for our July book. It's a contest between Cold Comfort Farm and Giovanni's Room.

I've set up a Run off Poll to determine the winner.

Voting will stay open through the 7th.

Note: Whichever book does not win the run-off poll will be included in the list of books for August.

message 3: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I'd like to nominate Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

message 4: by BAM the enigma (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

BAM the enigma I nominate Deliverance by James Dickey

message 6: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1854 comments I would like to nominate The First Circle by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn from 1968

message 7: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 25 comments I'll second Deliverance.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra I'd like to nominate The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami from 1994.

message 9: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate War & War by László Krasznahorkai , first published 1999.

message 10: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments I would like to nominate Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Since we are nominating for August it seems appropriate to nominate Light in August by William Faulkner.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I nominate Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (562 pp, pub 1991).

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 803 comments I nominate Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov. 143 pages. Published in 1953.

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 393 comments I'm full on seconding The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Now that is a book you can discuss for days!

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 881 comments Janet wrote: "Since we are nominating for August it seems appropriate to nominate Light in August by William Faulkner."

I second Janet’s nomination of Light in August by William Faulkner - I’ve been wanting to read more Faulkner after reading The Sound and the Fury last year.

message 16: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Tammy wrote: "I'm full on seconding The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Now that is a book you can discuss for days!"

I will also second, don't think i will read it unless it's a group read

message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Matt wrote: "Janet wrote: "Since we are nominating for August it seems appropriate to nominate Light in August by William Faulkner."

I second Janet’s nomination of [book:Light in Aug..."

Thanks again Matt!

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Tammy & Wend.

message 19: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1854 comments Zofia wrote: "I'd like to nominate Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami."

"5.) Only one book per author"

message 20: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) J_BlueFlower wrote: "Zofia wrote: "I'd like to nominate Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami."

"5.) Only one book per author""

Sorry!

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina Seconding Wild Swans. One day this has to win too!!

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Brina wrote: "Seconding Wild Swans. One day this has to win too!!"

Thanks again Brina :)

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 185 comments Candi wrote: "I would like to nominate Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood"

Seconding this

message 24: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma CluckingBell wrote: "I'll second Deliverance."

Thanks!!

message 25: by Adrianna (new)

message 27: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments There's been a discussion in the run-off poll comments regarding the runner up.

Since we won't know which book is the winner until the morning of the 8th, that will put the runner up into a great disadvantage in the new nomination process, since many of you will have already nominated or seconded something by then.

What we've decided is that the runner up for the July poll will be added as a 6th book in the August poll.

So, no need to reserve your nomination/vote in case your favorite doesn't win. It'll get a second chance for August.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to nominate Independent People by Halldór Kiljan Laxness

message 29: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I would like to nominate a book by Philip Roth to commemorate his recent passing on the 22nd of May: Portnoy's Complaint

message 30: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Marina wrote: "I nominate The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf."

I'll second The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf published in 1968 and 185 pages.

message 31: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 380 comments Janet wrote: "Since we are nominating for August it seems appropriate to nominate Light in August by William Faulkner."

Yup. I will second/third Light in August.

message 32: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I would like to second Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint.

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark André I will enthusiastically second Halldor Laxness' Nobel Prize winning masterpiece, Independent People! - )

message 34: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Pillsonista wrote: "Janet wrote: "Since we are nominating for August it seems appropriate to nominate Light in August by William Faulkner."

Yup. I will second/third Light in August."

Thank you.

message 35: by Pillsonista (last edited Jun 03, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

Pillsonista | 380 comments Janet wrote: "Thank you."

The pleasure is mine. It's my absolute favorite of his, and he is absolutely my favorite American author of the 20th century.

When I was in high school I cut a full day of classes just so I could finish it without being interrupted.

message 36: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Loretta wrote: "Marina wrote: "I nominate The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf."

I'll second The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf published in 196..."

Thanks, Loretta, also for adding publication date and number of pages, which I forgot to do :)

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments Marina wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Marina wrote: "I nominate The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf."

I'll second The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf ..."

A third for The Quest of Christa T from me.

message 38: by Loretta (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Marina wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Marina wrote: "I nominate The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf."

I'll second The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf ..."

My pleasure Marina. I always add publication date and number of pages. It's just something I do. 😁

message 39: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Thanks, Karen!

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tina | 114 comments I'm also for Light in August!

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Petrichor wrote: "I would like to nominate a book by Philip Roth to commemorate his recent passing on the 22nd of May: Portnoy's Complaint"

I second this.

message 42: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments AnnaCecylia wrote: "I second The Secret History by Donna Tartt""

Another second for The Secret History.

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Marina wrote: "Thanks, Karen!"

Thanks Tina.

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I second Deliverance.

message 45: by Leslie (last edited Jun 05, 2018 03:46AM) (new)

Leslie | 145 comments I second Deliverance.

message 46: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Carol wrote: "I second Deliverance."

Thank you!

message 47: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Leslie wrote: "I second Deliverance."

Thank you!

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 145 comments I had actually recommended it a few months ago. :-)

message 49: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I'll nominate Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki.

message 50: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Pam wrote: "I’d like to nominate Independent People by Halldór Kiljan Laxness"

I'd like to second this one :).

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.