Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Favorite Discussions > The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd (June 1- June 30_

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:44PM) (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3229 comments Mod
Hello all- we are going through the devotional The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd by Sandra Byrd The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd and it's been a real blessing so far to walk through it together day by day. Pop in when you can, feel free to comment when you can and if you don't have a copy of the devotional be sure to enter our year long giveaway that is happening. ( Link to thread here---> https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... ) This month Cheryl will be leading the discussion and we hope that you can join in when you have a chance.

reply | delete | flag *

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I will be leading the first week as Cheryl and her family are still planning Dave's mother's funeral. Please keep them in your prayers.

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

June 1 - Watchful and Wary

Sandra asks us a very important question today that we should ask ourselves in everything we do: "Does this person, activity, or thought lead you closer to or farther away from Jesus and all that He stands for?"

She focuses on "frenemies" today. People who pretend to be your friend; but in their treatment and actions, are someone who wants to hurt you. We've all encountered those people sometime in our lives. Sometimes it can even be a member of our own family. That's when we have to ask ourselves Sandra's question and make the tough decisions.

message 4: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

June 2 - ThisClose

We all have a close friend with whom we can share anything and everything. My BFF is a woman that I team taught with for 23 years. We call each other our "sister by choice." Even though we now live thousands of miles away from each other, we talk almost every day via Facebook, telephone, and e-mail. If we find ourselves in the midst of a major problem, we turn to one another instantly.

This is the kind of relationship we also need to have with Jesus, and He should be the closest friend of all. Do you turn to Him with all your joys and concerns? If you don't, then start developing that relationship with him today.

This hymn chorus says it all:
What a friend we have in Jesus all our sins and grieves to bear
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer
Oh what peace we often forfeit of what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer

message 5: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

June 3 - Experiencing the Love of God

One of my high school classmates and I were just discussing this very topic yesterday. Even though we graduated from high school MANY years ago. There was a group of us that went from Kindergarten through 12th grade together. We have kept in touch with each other throughout all these years. But it always seems that Linda or I have to initiate something for a get together. The others always say they have such a wonderful time, but they never return the favor of initiating something.

I loved Sandra's concluding questions. I got set back by the one about asking Jesus questions. I don't think that I ask many questions other than the usual "Why?" Which one is something you needed to think about and why?

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments First off, I want to thank Loraine for being so kind and covering the devotionals this past week while we have been dealing with details for my mother in laws memorial service as well as have started to box up all of her things. It is sort of therapeutic for us daughter in laws, as well as the four sons to go through her things. She was such a wonderful woman and I hope to be half the wife, mother and grandmother that she was.

Moving on to our devotional today.

June 4- All that Glisters

I admit that I will read through the Old Testament books and just shake my head at the Israelites and think- my goodness why can't you just get rid of those Asherah poles and high places used for idol worship once and for all and be done with it!! Or in this story- really you couldn't just wait at the base of Mt. Sinai and wait for Moses to be done conferring with the Lord, you had to go and get into trouble by fashioning your own golden calf idol? Its so easy from where I sit to pass judgement on them. But then I take some inventory in my own life and ask God to show me my own golden calves that can so easily trip me up- those things that I think are treasures,- my phone for one, can take me away from being present in the moment, it's so easy to just check Facebook one more time or play my little word game, etc, etc. I want to be available for what God has for me and to be investing my time, talents and treasures in the areas that He has called me to- not reaching for false treasures that aren't really treasures at all. And whatever treasures God has for me, I pray that I am generous with them and using them for God's glory.

message 7: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I so agree, Cheryl, that we all have our own golden idols that draw us away from time that we could spend with God and in God's work. The pull of things like Facebook, a game on my cell phone, or even getting lost in genealogy or a good book. I soon look up and wonder where the time has gone, and then I head to bed and ask myself "why didn't I get my devotional reading done today?"

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Well said Loraine- definitely praying that God can whisper in my ear when I'm getting off track with those darn golden calves! :)

June 5th- No Ceiling, no limit

I really love how Sandra takes an experience that most of us have experienced and draws out the spiritual truth from the moment. My last job was working for a non-profit that came alongside at-risk pregnant women. If you have ever worked for a non-profit, you know that there is never enough money for whatever your mission is, so there will always be fund-raising to help keep things running. For us at our non-profit, our auction was always the biggest fund-raiser of the year bringing in a big chunk of our funds for the program. Boy, I remember some pretty good bidding wars going on- usually the signed "Russell Wilson" football got people waving that paddle furiously. I thought to myself, wow, they must have a lot of extra income to be able to spend that much money on a football. :) To take a moment today to think on the precious price or bid that God made for us is well worth taking the time to think on. Thank you Lord for seeing us as so precious that you would offer up your own beloved son for me.

message 9: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

We have a silent auction each year at Daughters of the American Revolution to raise money for the scholarships we award to local high schoolers. Even though it is silent, it gets really crazy during the last 5 to 10 minutes as ladies armed with their pens stand next to the item they want and keep increasing the bid whenever someone ups it. I am so blessed that God surrendered his only Son for me because I know the price was beyond anything I could afford.

message 10: by Wendy (last edited Jun 06, 2018 01:09AM) (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Loraine wrote: "I am so blessed that God surrendered his only Son for me because I know the price was beyond anything I could afford. "

Amen!

Cheryl wrote: "To take a moment today to think on the precious price or bid that God made for us is well worth taking the time to think on."

Absolutely! We can get so casual about the fact we are saved, that we forget about the enormous price that was paid to secure our salvation. (At least, I know I can!)

I felt Sandra really gave a good illustration with this devotion. I was left with a "Wow! Thank You! I love You!" praise moment.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Ah Wendy- I love those praise moments! They re the best!

June 6th- Easy on the salt

Ah I can remember many "cute things" that my girls said when they were little. I remember with my youngest Bethany that I never corrected her because I knew she was my last one and I so enjoyed her little mispronunciations so much because they reminded me that she was still little. :)

I loved Sandra's remark about- "a little bit of guidance with a whole lot of love," as well as being "salty" but still exalting God int he process by shaking a little at a time. The last thing we want to do especially with folks that are seeking or young in their walk is to overwhelm them as there is so much to learn in following our Lord. :) Be salty but with lots of love :)

message 12: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jun 06, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

The first thing that came to mind when I was reading easy on the salt was an April Fool's joke my brother and I played on our parents in our younger days. We emptied the sugar out of the sugar bowl and filled it with salt. When we all sat down to breakfast, our mom and dad filled their cereal bowls and proceeded to sprinkle on what they thought was sugar. Needless to say, they were not happy campers when they took the first bite. A little salt goes a long way when in the right dish! In the wrong dish, it accomplishes nothing. I found this information this morning which I thought was very interesting:

Salt is a preservative that works only when it penetrates into food, and becomes useless when contaminated by other chemical substances. It must remain pure to do its job. Jesus says that Christians, likewise, must penetrate society while keeping themselves from being influenced by sin in the world.

message 13: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 07, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 7- Keep Sowing
Ah the fruit of long said prayers, one of my favorite things to think on. I think I've discussed my prayer ladies that I meet with weekly to pray for our kids before in previous posts. The stories we can tell as a result of our prayer times... from health issues to struggles in school, to boyfriend/girlfriend break ups, job searches, wedding stress, labor prayers as they start to have families of their own. We are not perfect ladies and our kids are not perfect , but we know how to sow seeds of prayer in our kids lives and have seen miracles occur as a result. My daughters have all done relatively well in school, I had one of my girls fail a writing portion in 4th grade on a state given standards test that really shook her up.
I remember praying for my daughter with my prayer friends and the beauty of it is, that I have seen God so beautifully use that "failure" in my daughter's life to light a fire under her to work really hard towards her goals and her school work. She may have to take more time to study the material, but she has learned how to be successful and her work ethic is amazing. She ended up graduating from high school with the highest GPA of all of my daughters. I don't say this to brag, I say this to say that my prayer ladies rejoiced with me at every turn of my daughter's academic success giving all glory to God because He answered our prayers in such an amazing way. Thanking God for His answers whether we see them immediately or years down the road. It's amazing to have that moment where you realize, "Wait a minute, God has answered that prayer that I prayed so long ago!" Just keep on sowing!

message 14: by Wendy (last edited May 10, 2019 06:07PM) (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Cheryl wrote: " Thanking God for His answers whether we see them immediately or years down the road. It's amazing to have that moment where you realize, "Wait a minute, God has answered that prayer that I prayed so long ago!" Just keep on sowing! "

Amen! And thanks for sharing your answered prayer story, Cheryl.

I found this devotion really encouraging.

Sandra says "My husband had told me that he prayed for me many years before we met. Under the guidance of a wise youth pastor, he began praying for me when I was barely a teen and in an unbelieving family. I struggled through trials, but looking back now, I can see how God bought people to help me. Was it due to my husband's prayer? I believe so. I do not think anyone else was praying for me during those years."

I had been praying for my future husband since a teen, but it was more along the lines of "please may I have a godly husband". About my mid-twenties I started praying 1 Cor 13 for us both.

In 2012, I bought Praying for Your Future Husband Preparing Your Heart for His by Robin Jones Gunn soon after it released. It had 12 prayers to pray for him and also to pray for yourself, plus at the back a verse to pray for him each week of the year. Robin and Tricia also wrote their stories, one who waited for marriage, the other who didn't, but found grace in His eyes despite her mistakes. I've prayed those prayers day in, day out. I noticed a shift change. As I was praying certain things for him, I found I it was holding me accountable. Were the things I was wanting and praying for him, things I was actually doing/being in my life?

Then early last year I came across and subsequently bought 31 prayers for my Future Husband by Jennifer Smith . I was a little disappointed to start with. The prayers were good, but it was just a prayer book, with then a couple of blank pages after to write your own prayer. Since 2014 I've been using Stormie Omartian's The Power of a Praying® Woman by Stormie Omartian and have discovered the power of praying God's Word to Him. I was expecting a similar kind of book with the 31 prayers. It was then I had an idea. In pencil I've written references throughout the prayers that support what the prayer is saying. Then, if I don't know the verse off by heart (which is the case for a lot of them!) I've written it out in the blank pages. If I don't know a verse to put there, I've looked at the same topic in the The Power of a Praying® Woman to see if there's one in there, or gone onto Bible Gateway to search out a keyword.

I then "happened across" an old blog post I had written a while back on a review I did on a book about praying. Anyway, I read how I was impressed that the author prayed verses for his children from the time they were born and also would have prayer times with them and anything that troubled the child they would find a verse to pray together that supported the request. When the children graduated and left for College, he presented them with a Bible with all the verses he had personally prayed, plus the ones they had prayed together, highlighted for them to take with them. I thought when I read the book that that was what I wanted to do when I had children. Now reading the review, I had another idea. Why not buy a Bible and highlight all the verses I am praying for him and present it to him when we are married so that he can
1. See for himself all the prayers I've prayed for him
2. When he is discouraged, worried, bothered about something and he looks in that Bible, hopefully he will be able to see that I've already been praying for him to have wisdom/comfort/leading/help etc
3. If he has to go away on a trip he can take the Bible with him - essentially taking a visual reminder that I'm praying for him and my prayers are with him. (For this 3rd reason I decided to go for a pocket Bible.)

This has kind of snowballed into a huge project that I hadn't expected when I first thought about praying for my future husband. And in devotional times and sermons I still come across a verse that speaks to me, and I think Oh I need to pray that one for us. So I go and find the prayer it would suit and add it to his, plus also to mine in the The Power of a Praying® Woman book - I can't expect to pray for him to be like it, and not expect the same of myself!

August last year I had some doubts hit. What if I never got married? I was spending all this time and energy praying for someone that might not even be a part of my life, and setting time aside to get to highlighting the Bible I'd chosen for him. Was this a good use of my time? Was this what God wanted me to do? So I laid out a fleece. And God answered. I still smile when I look back on that and hold firm when the doubts come about whether I should be continuing.

Sandra's comment I do not think anyone else was praying for me through those years spoke to me and made me realise it's just possible he doesn't have family praying for him. The fact that I might be the only person praying for him is something that had never occurred to me. Not only has it encouraged me, it has made me more determined to keep going.

The parable of the persistent widow came to mind, and that I always ought to pray and not lose heart Luke 18:1

I'm holding on to the verse Sandra left us with in Mark 11:24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.

And so Cheryl, I'm looking forward to the day when I can say "Wait a minute, God has answered that prayer that I prayed so long ago!" In the meantime, I'll keep on sowing!

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Wendy wrote: "Cheryl wrote: " Thanking God for His answers whether we see them immediately or years down the road. It's amazing to have that moment where you realize, "Wait a minute, God has answered that prayer..."

Oh wow, Wendy- thanks so much for sharing this faith filled story! That's amazing and your relationship with the Lord is so inspiring. Praying that the Lord gives you patience in the wait! :) What a gift you will be to your future husband!

June 8- Fishing for keepers

Wow- what a clear picture Sandra gave us today- fishing in a septic pond is never gonna work out for us! It certainly made me stop and think today about what things in my life that might be "septic pond" equivalents, where I'm fishing for affirmation at a source that is not what God intended?

I loved her last line- "Cast your line toward the one who loves you unconditionally. He will always give you the affection, affirmation, love and attention you need and what he offers is always a keeper."

message 16: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jun 08, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Looking back on June 7th's devotional. An elderly friend of mine shared something with me when I was a young mother that might be good for any of you who still have unmarried children. She said to go out and find a beautiful handkerchief for each of your children (might have to look in antique stores these days) and then place it on your bureau or nightstand. Each night pray for the future spouse of your child/children. Then give it to them on their wedding day to either carry (especially for girls) or to keep and pass on to their children. I thought this was a beautiful idea.

message 17: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jun 09, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Cheryl wrote: " Thanking God for His answers whether we see them immediately or years down the road. It's amazing to have that moment where you realize, "Wait a minute, God has answer..."

Wendy this is an incredible post. Thanks so much for sharing.

message 18: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 09, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Loraine wrote: "Looking back on June 7th's devotional. An elderly friend of mine shared something with me when I was a young mother that might be good for any of you who still have unmarried children. She said to ..."

Oh my goodness Loraine- I've done this very thing!! Although just a little variation in that the handkerchief's that I have are from both of my Grandmother's - I've been praying for my girl's future spouses for a while. I have one married daughter and I give them the handkerchief as the "something old" for their wedding day. :)

June 9-The Best Medicine-
Not sure if this is the artwork that Sandra was talking about but it was the most prevalent artwork when I googled it- here is the link

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group..."

It is good to think on our Lord laughing and enjoying life and those around him. Imagine being able to do that when he knew the road before him and all that He would face. I'll be honest and say that when my husband went through his tough moments in the hospital where I didn't know if he would live or not, that I forgot how to laugh. I'm happy to say that because of who Jesus is in my life and his healing care, he has brought my laugh back. Laughter really is good medicine and I pray that my life and my laugh looks and sounds more like Jesus every day.

message 19: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Loraine wrote: "Looking back on June 7th's devotional. An elderly friend of mine shared something with me when I was a young mother that might be good for any of you who still have unmarried childr..."

The one for my grandson is from my mother - his great grandmother!

message 20: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I love this picture of Jesus laughing. Makes me think of how much he loved the little children.

message 21: by Wendy (last edited Jun 10, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Loraine, I love the hankies idea.

What a great way to pray for the future spouse of your child/grandchild!

I love how you are using one of your mother's and Cheryl is using hankies from her grandmothers. Such a nice touch! Cheryl, your daughter must have felt so blessed when you gave her that hanky on her wedding day for her something old, knowing it represented the prayers you had prayed for her groom!

There are lots of verses about joy in the Bible - I'm sure He must have laughed. Yet, it's not often the visual we have of Him. I'm glad Sandra mentioned it - it's given me a new aspect of Him to ponder on! :)

A baby's laugh brightens my day. My 8mth old nephew delighted me with his smiles and laughs when he was up visiting a week ago! I plan on watching the YouTube videos of babies laughing sometime soon, as Sandra suggested. I know I won't be able to stop smiling!

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 10- Experiencing the love of God. Today's was still on the topic of laughter :) I'm pretty sure that the sketch she is talking about is the one that I posted yesterday. So here's a basic question- what makes you laugh ? :)

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 11- The Perfect Spouse

Oh I love this- exploring the wedding vows and what they mean in terms of our relationship with our Lord. Our covenant with our God is our first and most important promise. This is going to be a great time I can tell.

message 24: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

June 10 - What makes me laugh? My 6 year old grandson's knock-knock jokes!

June 11 - I am really looking forward to this exploration of the wedding vows. I have a feeling it is going to be very interesting.

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 12- Fidelity

Just like it is a free will choice in our choice to commit to a marriage, it is our free will choice to choose to enter into a relationship with God. I love the questions she is having us look at here . And having just read through the parts of the old testament- 1 and 2 Kings and 1st and 2nd Chronicles where time and again all of these Kings chose idol worship and were not faithful to God, I would breathe a sigh of relief when I would finally read about one that "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord". The questions as the end- like "Do we truly depend on God or on our own efforts? " and "Do we give Him best slice of our time, affections, and energies or does something or someone else receive those?" are great questions to think on. Offering our fidelity to our God, our "To have and to hold from this day forward" to our God is the goal. :)

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Cheryl wrote: "June 12- Fidelity

"Do we truly depend on God or on our own efforts? " and "Do we give Him best slice of our time, affections, and energies or does something or someone else receive those?" are great questions to think on. Offering our fidelity to our God, our "To have and to hold from this day forward" to our God is the goal. :) "

Absolutely!

Reminds me of the hymn "I Surrender All".

I'm liking this look at the wedding vows and our relationship with the Lord.

message 27: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I am liking this theme also. Gives a completely different perspective than the usual.

message 28: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 13, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 13- For Better or for worse

I don't know about you, but where I am currently in my life, I have to say that the folks who are brave enough to be transparent and share their struggles ,or, who I know have been a facing a difficult trial tend to be the folks that either minister loudest to me, or me to them. There is a strange sense of camaraderie that comes with sharing your trials with others. When I read today's devotional I was like ok, this is yet another day when I realize yet again why I like Sandra Byrd so much. She has some "life experience" with the whole better or worse thing. In our relationship with God, just like in a relationship with a spouse, we just can't ever give up when things get tough . God is always faithful to us, He can't be anything but faithful, as it's His nature, but like she said, we can be a little fickle at times. :) I love the concept of viewing our relationship with God as a vow, I want to keep my promise to God and be faithful and loving to Him with my whole life for better or worse. :)

message 29: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I am ministered so much by those who live here in our senior community. Some of them are struggling with serious health issues, a couple of them have just lost children to cancer, and yet they are always smiling and praising God and praying for one another. I see evidence every day of them loving God for better or worse. They are definitely role models for those of us who are younger then they are.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Loraine wrote: "I am ministered so much by those who live here in our senior community. Some of them are struggling with serious health issues, a couple of them have just lost children to cancer, and yet they are ..."

That's amazing Loraine- their joy and strength are rooted firmly in the Lord- how very encouraging.

June 14- For richer or poorer, in sickness and in health

Good old Job- had it all- lost it all- and never cursed God or turned his back on Him. Kind of exactly what you described in your senior community Loraine, the ability to praise the Lord, whatever the circumstance.

That praise song comes to mind- "Blessed be the name of the Lord," particularly the line-
"He gives and takes away, He gives and takes away.
My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name."

Our faith truly does grow in those times that test us. And the hope that we have in our Lord that no matter what He will restore us to Him is amazing to think on. Now I'm going to be humming that praise song all day long! :) Have a blessed Thursday :)

message 31: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

You have that song in my head too and I'll be singing it all day. Did you know that when you can't get rid of a song in your head it is called an "earworm?"

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 26 comments I didn't know that, Loraine. Now I will be thinking about earworms every time a song gets stuck in my head. Lol.

message 33: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

My bit of trivia for the day!

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Ever Faithful is the song I thought of, and consequently had it as my earworm throughout yesterday - (Thanks for that bit of trivia, Loraine!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n3gp...

And when I struggle and doubt when in the fury, then I put this song on, and keep playing it throughout the day - or days - until I can confidently believe it and actually sing it myself.

The line "He has never failed me yet" is the one I have to keep reminding myself of during those times. And of course, having His names proclaimed gives me the focus back on who He is, and who I need at this time.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments I love our new ear worm saying- thanks for educating us Loraine and Wendy- what a wonderful song- and so very true- He is Ever Faithful!!

June 15- To love and to cherish

Today's devotion touched my heart- the thought that we are God's very cherished treasure and that He will ensure that we are transported safely home by wrapping us in His love, his compassion and HIs protection. Beautiful thoughts.

As a side note- I am a huge fan of tea cups- it's the British side of me coming out- tea just tastes better to me in a beautiful tea cup. Sandra has a tea cup exchange that she sponsors every year for those that are signed up for her newsletter so if you are a tea cup lover :) it sure is a fun thing to be a part of :).

message 36: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

My mom had a huge tea cup collection that we added to over the years. When she passed, I kept the entire collection. When Cliff and I moved to senior living, I didn't have room for them all; so I kept some of my favorites and donated the rest so other ladies could enjoy a lovely teacup.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments They must have loved that Loraine! How very special.

June 16 Till Death Do Us Part

I guess the beauty of this part is that it doesn’t exist with our relationship with the Lord , in fact the opposite it will be our first face to face with our Lord and joy to be in His presence when our death happens here, it will usher us into new life. Thank you Lord that we will never be parted from you!!

message 38: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

This is the greatest comfort that God can give us. Knowing that we will see our Lord and Savior in the "Sweet Bye and Bye!" (OK another earworm for those of you who like Gospel music!) One of my favorite contemporary hymns is "I Can Only Imagine" I told my husband I want that sung at my funeral.

message 39: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Loraine wrote: "This is the greatest comfort that God can give us. Knowing that we will see our Lord and Savior in the "Sweet Bye and Bye!" (OK another earworm for those of you who like Gospel music!) ..."

I'm one of those who like Gospel music, and yes, I can tell that will be my earworm for today, Loraine. I'm already humming it!

It's so nice to hold on to the fact that death won't separate us from Him, it will make us closer! And until we see Him In the Sweet By and By it's also a comfort to know He never leaves us when experiencing The Nasty Here and Now!

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 17- Experiencing the Love of God

Fun things to think on- Do you have any outward symbols of your commitment to the Lord?

I have a cross wall in my house that I just have collected crosses over the years- and people have given them to me as well. My parents did a Holy Land trip with their church and brought me back a couple and those are very special to me. I am going to collect until 33 and then will stop- one for each year of our Lord's life. I don't buy them just to buy them, they usually have some symbolism attached to them and my daughter's have made some or brought them back from a mission trip, etc. My other favorite things are going up the Stairway of our home I have 6 framed verses- one for each of my 4 daughters and my husband and myself. I had friends make them up for me one year after gathering everyone's favorite verse. My favorite thing to do ( yes I know I'm bad) is when I have a daughter who is dating a boy, I ask him which one is the verse that corresponds with the daughter he is seeing. It's my test of sorts- how well does he know my daughter? I'm happy to say that one of the 4 daughters is married and my son-in-law picked it out correctly. :)
Lastly, I have some a beautiful sketching of our Lord Jesus by Frank Cannon. There is something about the eyes that just move me. Can't wait to hear your stories!

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 18- No More Noise

I'm playing catch up as yesterday was a busy day with my nephew graduating and Father's Day celebrations! But it was a great day and I'm so thankful to be able to celebrate it with both of the most important men in my life. As I have learned well, one does not know what tomorrow holds, so being grateful and thankful for today is very important.

Anyway, back to our devotional- :)- I think when I have those moments where my brain is generating those "inner notifications" or perhaps another phrase might be "stinking thinking", I try my best when I catch myself thinking negatively about someone, or myself, or being generally negative to truly try and stop it in its tracks and think on the verse- "...take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." ( 2 Cor 10:5b) I also try and pray for the situation/person etc., that has got my thinking off track. The mind is a battlefield for sure, so staying vigilant is super important for me because its so easy for me to go sideways .

message 42: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl wrote: "June 17- Experiencing the Love of God

Fun things to think on- Do you have any outward symbols of your commitment to the Lord?

I have a cross wall in my house that I just have collected crosses ov..."

I have a small wall of crosses in our apartment. I also have several favorite quotes framed and hung in various places throughout the apartment. I also have a collection of cross necklaces. When Cliff and I could still travel, we each thought of a small souvenir we could bring back from wherever we were so some I have is a Waterford Crystal cross necklace from Ireland, a black coral cross from Grand Cayman, and a Greek cross from Greece (my mom added this to my collection).

message 43: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl wrote: "June 18- No More Noise

I'm playing catch up as yesterday was a busy day with my nephew graduating and Father's Day celebrations! But it was a great day and I'm so thankful to be able to celebrate ..."

One of our pastors said he had two spirits fighting in his soul - a black spirit and a white spirit and whichever he fed the most would be how he would act and speak.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Loraine yes I’ve heard of that before as well- wise words!
June 19- Reaching for peace
I really enjoyed today’s devotional. I know for myself , with more and more things in my life threatening my “peace” that for me seeking God’s peace has become a very active pursuit as in I am not passively sitting by and expecting it to come but doing the things that I know to do to find that peace- relying on the powerful word of God, seeking Him out in prayer and looking to surrender my will to His- but another part for me is truly getting a bit on the offensive and learning to stand firm by praying on the armor of God and sort of defending my peace by trusting in God’s power and protection-that is where peace lies for me, I don’t know if that all makes sense to everyone but it has been a very personal spiritual journey that God has placed me on and has been a game changer for me.

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 20- A Certain Hope

sorry all- I've had numerous folks staying with us over the last week, so I'm afraid I'm a little behind, but playing catch up now.

I thought when I read this- wow, what a great friend. In a polite but honest way she essentially called Sandra to trust in God instead of trying to control the situation with her "Do you have anything new to add?" As in don't dwell on it, because God has things under control. Especially when our child is involved, yes even when they are all grown up. It's tough to relinquish that controlling mom hat at times. This was a wonderful reminder- whatever the situation- we should never try to fight God for control- He's got this!

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 21- Pennies from heaven

Those small reminders in our every day life of our dear Lord's love. I call them God Winks- those little things throughout my day that remind me that God sees me and that He loves me. It might be the warmth of a sunbeam on my face or a verse that keeps popping up meant just for me for that day, etc., etc. God is good.

My husband Dave always picks up pennies- his reasons are a little different, his thought process was that a penny is worth so little in most people's eyes that it's not worth the effort to bend down and pick it up. But pennies remind him of our compassion child who doesn't have a lot of pennies at all and it reminds him to pray for her.

message 47: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I LOVE Dave's reasoning for picking them up. I hope she knows how much she is being prayed for.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura | 26 comments Yes! Dave's reasoning has changed how I will look at a penny, too. I love the different perspective.

message 49: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Laura wrote: "Yes! Dave's reasoning has changed how I will look at a penny, too. I love the different perspective."

Same here!

message 50: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 22, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments June 22-Seeking What's right

This was a great day! As it has been my own personal journey these last few years to overcome fear with faith, etc the reminder at the end of today's devotional was a wonderful reminder- "if we train our minds to seek what is right and not what is wrong, we will find it." It's so very true, isn't it?

My 4 daughters all wore braces in their teen age years ( can you say cha-ching?) Anyway, our orthodontist is a wonderful Christian man who shared how his work needed to stay at work because it is all about perfection and getting the teeth perfectly straight, but going home with that mentality of everything being perfect was not good for the family so he had to be careful, like this devotional talked about, to look for what was "right" at home and not for what was wrong. Phil 4:8 is that wonderful "power tool" in the word to remind us of this concept. The mind is truly a powerful thing and to train it to think on the right stuff is so important! :)

« previous 1