The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 25.6 - Diane Whitney's Task: Pure Michigan

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 31, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5329 comments Mod
25.6 - Diane Whitney's: Pure Michigan!

It’s summertime in northern Michigan! Due to its proximity to the Great Lakes, Michigan is a very cloudy state, averaging only 180 full days of sunshine per year. We have especially gray winter and spring seasons due to lake effect clouds and snow.

To “celebrate” the sun’s appearance, choose two different options and read a book that fulfills the requirements for each. REQUIRED: State which options you choose.

No book with the genre "Children's" or "Kid's" on the book's Good Reads main page may be used for this task.
The COMBINED total of both books must be at least 500 pages.

Option 1 - The Mitten: Michigan is the only state to consist of two peninsulas. The lower peninsula is often noted to be shaped like a mitten.
Read a book with a mitten or mittens (not a glove or gloves) on the cover. REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 2 - The U.P.: The upper peninsula, often referred to as “the U.P.” is separated from the lower peninsula by the Straits of Mackinac (pronounced Mac-i-naw) and connected by the Mackinac Bridge.
Read a book by a single author whose name contains both the letters U and P.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 3 - The Motor City: Michigan is widely known as the center of the U.S. automotive industry, being home to the headquarters of the country’s three major automobile companies: General Motors, Ford and Chrysler, often referred to as the “Big Three”.
Read a book that is #3 in a series. It must be identified as #3 in a series in the Goodreads metadata, “Title” (series name #3).

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 4 - The Great Lakes: Michigan is bordered by 4 of the 5 Great Lakes (Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior). The acronym “HOMES” is an easy way to remember the 5 lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior).
Read a book whose title begins with any of the letters H, O, M, E or S.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

Option 5 - Pure Michigan: “Pure Michigan” is a very popular and successful advertising campaign for the state of Michigan voiced by Tim Allen to promote travel and tourism.
Read a book set entirely (“Pure”-ly) in the state of Michigan. REQUIRED: If it is not evident from the book's page, please provide a reference for the setting.

Trivia! (view spoiler)

message 2: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Approved-

Option 5: set in Michigan
Worth Killing For
The Man in the Crooked Hat

message 3: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5329 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Hi,

Would this book be ok for Option 5?

Worth Killing For (Julia Gooden Mystery, #3) by Jane Haseldine

It's set in Detroit, although the GR description doesn't say it.
The first 2 books in the series, do:
The Last Time She Saw Him
Duplicity

And in Amazon it states that Julia Gooden, the main character, is a Detroit reporter;
https://smile.amazon.com/Worth-Killin...

Thanks!

message 6: by Diane Whitney (last edited May 31, 2018 10:18PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Unfortunately, I haven't read read this book but, I will be adding the series to my TBR as it looks good. The book's description clearly states the main character is a Detroit reporter. Reading the reviews of the book, especially Beth's, it's clear the book is set in Michigan, so I will approve.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3974 comments QUESTION re Option 4: Read a book whose title begins with any of the letters H, O, M, E or S.

Are we including or excluding leading articles: A, An, The?

message 8: by Shannon SA (new)

Shannon SA | 4 comments Love your Trivia! - Very interesting!

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash (essentiallyash) | 63 comments For option 4, does every beginning letter of the title have to be ones of those letters? Or just the first word?

Probably a dumb question

message 10: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:21AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Book Concierge wrote: "QUESTION re Option 4: Read a book whose title begins with any of the letters H, O, M, E or S.

Are we including or excluding leading articles: A, An, The?"

The first letter of the first word of the title of the book needs to be H, O, M, E or S.
A, An, The don't work.

message 11: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Ashlea wrote: "For option 4, does every beginning letter of the title have to be ones of those letters? Or just the first word?

Probably a dumb question"

There is no such thing as a dumb question!
The first letter of the first word of the title of the book needs to be H, O, M, E or S.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3974 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "QUESTION re Option 4: Read a book whose title begins with any of the letters H, O, M, E or S.

Are we including or excluding leading articles: A, An, The?"

The first letter..."

Suggest you add "All words count" to the task description so that it's clear.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16698 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Suggest you add "All words count" to the task description so that it's clear. ..."

See the FAQs:

"I. What about articles, prepositions, etc.?
A word is a word. Articles and prepositions are words, just like any other. "

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1071 comments Hi Diane-just wanted to tell, as a Michigan girl, Great job on this challenge!

message 15: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Joanne wrote: "Hi Diane-just wanted to tell, as a Michigan girl, Great job on this challenge!"

Thanks!

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 370 comments Just want to confirm for option 2 editors do not count as authors. I am thinking of a poetry collection by a single author with a single editor. Author has both U and P in his name.

message 17: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:58PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Stephanie wrote: "Just want to confirm for option 2 editors do not count as authors. I am thinking of a poetry collection by a single author with a single editor. Author has both U and P in his name."

No, editors are not authors.

This is from the rules of the challenge: Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreward, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

Hope this answers your question.

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2695 comments Hi. I'm trying to find an author with U and P for Option 2, and so far the only one I've come up with is Philip Pullman! Could you confirm that La Belle Sauvage DOESN'T have Children's as an MPG.

message 19: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Trish wrote: "Hi. I'm trying to find an author with U and P for Option 2, and so far the only one I've come up with is Philip Pullman! Could you confirm that La Belle Sauvage DOESN'T have Childre..."

From the Mod's Genre Verification Thread -
"If you are planning to use a book for a genre task and fear that the genre may disappear, post a link to the book in this thread. We will not "lock in" the lack of a childrens or kids genre on the main page."

So, for this reason, I am unable to confirm your request.

message 20: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Trish wrote: "Hi. I'm trying to find an author with U and P for Option 2, and so far the only one I've come up with is Philip Pullman! Could you confirm that La Belle Sauvage DOESN'T have Childre..."

If I may help, I'm planning use Jhumpa Lahiri to fulfill Option 2. I can also recommend The Bronze Horseman Series by Paullina Simons, I'm planning to read the final book of the trilogy to fulfill Option 3.
Other authors I've read and enjoyed -
Pamela Kaufman
Paulo Coelho
Paula Hawkins
Ruta Sepetys

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16698 comments Mod
Diane Whitney wrote: "Trish wrote: "Hi. I'm trying to find an author with U and P for Option 2, and so far the only one I've come up with is Philip Pullman! Could you confirm that La Belle Sauvage DOESN'..."

It struck me when I was looking that anyone named Paul/Paula/Pauline is going to work - so I started by searching on those names.

message 22: by Trish (last edited Jun 03, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2695 comments Diane Whitney wrote: ""If you are planning to use a book for a genre task and fear that the genre may disappear, post a link to the book in this thread. We will not "lock in" the lack of a childrens or kids genre on the main page."

So, for this reason, I am unable to confirm your request."

Fair enough. Here's hoping it hasn't appeared if I use it for the task!

Thanks for the tips on the Paul/Paula/Pauline and their variants.

message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3682 comments I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book description does not mention the setting, but one of the reviews on the books main page states that it takes place in Detroit. Is that enough confirmation for this book to qualify under option 5?
Thanks,
Andy
I had originally meant to use it for another task, but it seems tailor made for this one.

message 24: by Diane Whitney (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Andy wrote: "I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book description does not mention the setting, but one of t..."

I found this on the author's web page -http://www.harrydolan.com/the-man-in-...

The Publisher's Weekly review and description of the novel provides the reference required for setting.

message 25: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3682 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book description does not mention the setting,..."

So if I reference this link when I post the task, this book is acceptable for Option 5?
Thanks,
Andy

message 26: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Andy wrote: "Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book description does no..."

Yes, I entered it in the approved for option #5 list above, see message #2. Say "approved in help thread" when posting. The reference is supplied in post #24 for mods to see.

message 27: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3682 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book descri..."

Will do,
Thank You

message 28: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3682 comments Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "Diane Whitney wrote: "Andy wrote: "I just finished reading The Man in the Crooked Hat
and found that it takes place entirely in Detroit and its suburbs. The book descri..."

Thank you