The Sword and Laser discussion

Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
This topic is about Night's Master
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #325 - Mythology Ideology

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1737 comments Mod
We're very excited about the Expanse coming back and Gail Carriger's plans and that the "What are we drinking" segment got a good review! Plus the different takes on mythology from our two latest book picks.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2018/5/...
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/19162445

message 2: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments There’s a lot of awesome in this episode but my entire takeaway is OMG EVERYONE WATCH BROOKLYN NINE NINE. It’s funny, joyful, inclusive, diverse, and it never punches down. There’s a lot of despair in the world right now and Brooklyn Nine-Nine always cheers me up. It’s relentlessly positive.

/PSA. (No, I wasn’t paid to say any of that, haha)

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1687 comments I too love Brooklyn Nine Nine. All characters are funny in their own way.

message 4: by David H. (new) - added it

David H. (farrakut) I thought Veronica was supposed to be the one to mispronounce something, but it sounded to me like Tom pronounced Dozois as "Doh-zoy" when it's "Doh-ZWA." :)

Ken Liu's Dandelion Dynasty is set in the land of Dara, in case Veronica wanted to continue being confused about Dara's name.

Tom, my take was different on Alcon's "gamble" with The Expanse. They certainly made more money for themselves by splitting up the distribution, but when I heard the general terms of the deal, I was *not* surprised Syfy canceled the show (I'm more surprised that they even picked it up without any streaming rights whatsoever). It's quite a big risk to hope that someone else would pick it up in the event, but I feel like it would've been more likely to stay on TV had Syfy had at least full domestic rights. But you're the cord cutter not me!

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara wrote: "There’s a lot of awesome in this episode but my entire takeaway is OMG EVERYONE WATCH BROOKLYN NINE NINE. It’s funny, joyful, inclusive, diverse, and it never punches down. There’s a lot of despair..."

I haven't watched it, but I'm a huuuuuge Terry Crews fan, so I should probably start!

terpkristin | 4226 comments I liked the show. I also agreed with Tom on Asrean's character. He's not evil, just selfish. Everything for him.

I've never watched Brooklyn 99 or The Expanse. Guess I may have more opportunities in the future, though...

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1276 comments Dara wrote: "There’s a lot of awesome in this episode but my entire takeaway is OMG EVERYONE WATCH BROOKLYN NINE NINE. It’s funny, joyful, inclusive, diverse, and it never punches down. There’s a lot of despair..."

^^ this!!
I love B99

message 8: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Veronica wrote: "I haven't watched it, but I'm a huuuuuge Terry Crews fan, so I should probably start!"

Terry is kind of the best. Do it! It's so easy to blow through episodes too since they're 22 minutes.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 9086 comments I find B99 to be pleasant but never laugh-out-loud funny. I generally watch the reruns during the night so some of the slight continuity is lost on me.

Terry Crews, though, I would watch that guy do anything. The funeral episode (season 3, I think) where he got drunk and started doing the Carlton was a series highlight in my book.

message 10: by Tom, Supreme Laser (last edited Jun 07, 2018 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1163 comments Mod
David wrote: "Tom, my take was different on Alcon's "gamble" with The Expanse..."

Certainly a fair interpretation but my guess is they get a bigger payday from Amazon now that they have established it on SyFy than they would have if they went with Amazon from the start. And something with a fanbase liek that has a very good chance of being picked up by Amazon and Netflix or even Hulu, all of whom have as big or bigger checkbooks than the traditional networks.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2565 comments A bit off topic, but what iOS App would people recommend for listening to the podcast? I have been using the default Apple one, but it has progressively gone downhill with each update to the point of being almost unusable.

terpkristin | 4226 comments I use Downcast. It works well enough for me, allowing simple things I need. YMMV.

message 13: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

AndrewP wrote: "A bit off topic, but what iOS App would people recommend for listening to the podcast? I have been using the default Apple one, but it has progressively gone downhill with each update to the point ..."

I like Overcast personally! I also have used Breaker.

message 14: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also have used Downcast and recommend it. I'm on PocketCasts mostly these days.

message 15: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1670 comments Tom wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I too love Brooklyn Nine Nine. All characters are funny in their own way."

Certainly a fair interpretation but my guess is they get a bigger payday from Amazon now that they have established it on SyFy than they would have if they went with Amazon from the start. And something with a fanbase liek that has a very good chance of being picked up by Amazon and Netflix or even Hulu, all of whom have as big or bigger checkbooks than the traditional networks."

I know I've had a few drinks tonight, but I've reread this a few times and have absolutely no clue how that quote relates to that statement. Tom, did you mean to reply to someone else, by chance?

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 9086 comments What is it about these apps that people like or dislike?

I’ve only used the Apple app that came with my iPhone (original, non-updated app) and with my newest iPad (latest version of the app) and the original version is much easier to use with controls that are right there. In the latest version, you have to open a secondary window to access things like “skip back 15 seconds”, which is a control readily at hand on the original version. I actually use that function quite a bit, so it’s annoying that it’s buried. (And I had my new iPad for 5 months before I discovered how to even get to that secondary window. What is it with Apple and their lack of manuals?)

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2952 comments I've used Downcast and Overcast. Castro is very nice too. Note that some have iPad and watch apps (Overcast) and some are iPhone only (Castro). Oh and a couple have CarPlay integration.

I think you have to try them. Overcast is free I'm not sure about Downcast and Castro but they're cheap if not free.

message 18: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1276 comments I’ve been getting annoyed with the default iPod app so I think I need to try something new!

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 527 comments I could write an essay on my troubled relationship with the native iOS app!

I've very successfully transitioned to Overcast. The free version is probably all that most people would need. Unfortunately doesn't support video podcasts, but otherwise I haven't looked back.

message 20: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Another vote for Downcast.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2565 comments Thanks everyone, I will give Downcast a try.

message 22: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (Nevets) wrote: "Tom wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I too love Brooklyn Nine Nine. All characters are funny in their own way."

Certainly a fair interpretation but my guess is they get a bigger payday from Amazon now that..."

Yeah wrong button. Ammended.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (dythya) | 10 comments Overdrive holds are not the same world over.
Your comment on overdrive saying you don't have hold times for books.
I have often ended up having to be in a wait queue as all the Overdrive "copies" are on loan. Just went to get Circe I'm in the queue :-)
Same for Borrow Box.