Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's May '18 (tra la)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3136 comments A Time to Hunt: Stephen Hunter
Bob Lee Swagger, Marine sniper, tries to figure out some strange events that happened back in Viet Nam. (A-)

Breaking Silence:Castillo, Linda
Almost reminds me of Julia SPencer Fleming, but in Amish country. Still with the somewhat forbidden love, and unseemly things lurking under the veneer of civilization. (A-)

Bannerless:Carrie Vaughn
The world after we have destroyed i, recreated by the survivors with a series of rules meant to forestall the potential Malthusian future. Things still happen though, and there is still the need for police, only in this case, an investigator we get to know well as a person while she solves her case. (A-)

Old Black Magic: Ace Atkins
I think Atins really get Spenser now. The trademark Spenser humor is back, the characters are alive, and reek of Boston. Spenser is looking for a lost painting, and has to reach to both the police and the underworld in the chase. His interactions with mobsters, more than anything else, will definitely shape the future of novels to come. (A-)

Pray For Silence: Linda Castillo
An Amish family is slaughtered, leaving the formerly Amish chief of police to figure out what happened. (B+)

Gone Missing:Linda Castillo
Still with the Amish stuff, only now girls are going missing and Kate and Tomisetti must find out why, and try to save them (B+)

Where Would You Be Now: Carrie Vaughn
A Novella giving some insight to Katie, from Bannerless. (B)

Noir; Christopher Moore
Most certainly a caper, taking place immediately after WW2 in the vicinity of Roswell, and populated by a variety of goons, gangsters, con artists, and just maybe a live and kicking man from space. As always with Moore, some very interesting turns of phrase. (B)

The Sound and the Furry: Spencer Quinn
Further adventures of Bernie and his dg CHet, as seen through Chet’s eyes (and nose) (B)

Leopards Kill: Jim DeFelice
Sort of DeFelice’s version of Heart of Darkness, only set in Afghanistan where a mercenary goes off the rails and believes he can defeat the Taliban by raising a private army. (B)

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3136 comments I 'lost' about 10 days of reading to this year's epic motorcycle journey (NC, TN, Georgia)

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Glad to see you're giving the Kate Burkholder books a shot! I have Bannerless in The Pile and am reading Spenser now.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments Barry, I'm sure the break while on your epic motorcycle journey was well worth it for the change of scenery! (TN!) One of these days when you are near by... we'll have to catch-up.
Good list of books! I need to try Linda Castillo someday, interesting that you compared her to Julia Spencer Fleming. I also look forward to Noir

Barry wrote: "I 'lost' about 10 days of reading to this year's epic motorcycle journey (NC, TN, Georgia)"

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1120 comments I want to try the Castillo books. Good month Barry.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Barry wrote: "I 'lost' about 10 days of reading to this year's epic motorcycle journey (NC, TN, Georgia)"

You didn't call me!!!!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments "reeks of Boston"?

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3136 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: ""reeks of Boston"?"

You have a better adjective?

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Barry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: ""reeks of Boston"?"

You have a better adjective?"

I think it's a verb, but yes.

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Barry wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: ""reeks of Boston"?"

You have a better adjective?"

I think it's a verb, but yes."

Reeks implies a foul odor. I've been to Boston. I don't think it reeks.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3136 comments from popular culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apEc...

Dirty Water, The Standelles

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Noir (other topics)