SQHS YLL discussion

The Adjustment - Suzanne Young

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments The Adjustment – Suzanne Young
Review by Cassie Matter

The Adjustment is the fifth book of The Program series. It takes place in a world that has just overcome a raging suicide epidemic. During the epidemic, there was a place called “the program” where anybody showing any signs of depression or suicidal-thoughts would be taken to and stripped of their “bad” memories. The program would erase any past trauma, any significant others, basically any memory that could be linked to depression. The Adjustment follows Tatum (Tate) Masterson, and Weston (Wes) Ambrose. Tatum and Wes had been dating for two years when Wes was taken into the program. In the middle of his treatment, the program was shut down and Wes was sent home. He had no memory of Tatum. Regardless, they begin to speak to each other and become close again. During their “new” friendship, Tatum tells Wes little things here and there about their past together. Somewhere along the way, they hear about “the adjustment,” where a returner from the program can get their memories donated from who was close to them. The couple decides to go through the adjustment, with Tatum being the donor. But memories are a matter of perspective, so when Weston’s feelings don’t match up with the implanted memories, it becomes a problem. Tatum and Weston’s whole world turns upside down as secret after secret is revealed.

The Adjustment has become my favorite book out of the whole Program series! The previous books have all been about memories getting erased, but this one is about memories coming back. It is so fascinating! I am definitely a fan of mystery and dystopian stories, so this book is very satisfactory. Learning all of the lies and uncovering all of the secrets was so intriguing. You not only see how Tatum and Wes were affected by the Program, but you see how their community as well as society as a whole were affected too. Some parts of The Adjustment had made me so stressed that I almost cried. I’m not even joking. The Adjustment draws you in to the point where you don’t want to put the book down. This is such a good book, I highly recommend it to everyone!

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Munzanreder | 13 comments What behaviors from the citizens is considered as them having depression? Do some people hide that they are depressed? I know this book made you really mad at times so I'm surprised you liked it so much. I think the last book sounds really interesting too though so maybe I'll have to read this series for that.

message 3: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 10 comments I believe I remember you posting about the book previous to this one and I was already so interested! I find it interesting that they follow off of the idea that memories are a matter of perspective. You then stated that secrets were uncovered, with this adjustment can you pick an choose which memories are implanted or are they all implanted? Overall this sounds like an interesting series I will have to check out.

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Sounds like a very interesting book, taking bad memories and erasing them. And it's even more interesting for the characters that go through "The Program."

message 5: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 11 comments it sounds like a good book

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 12 comments What is the title of the first book in the series? I'm really interested in reading it.

message 7: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Abby wrote: "What behaviors from the citizens is considered as them having depression? Do some people hide that they are depressed? I know this book made you really mad at times so I'm surprised you liked it so..."

Any signs of depression in the real world were seen as signs of depression in the book (self-isolation, crying, and "drawing black spirals," the last one seems more specific to the book,though). Except in the book they took any sadness and treated it like depression. People definitely tried to hide it! Everyone was terrified of the program. And yes, it did seem like I didn't enjoy it. But honestly, the more a book makes me mad, the more I like it. I only get mad if I'm deeply invested into it. It is such an interesting series! I think you would like it.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 10 comments Interesting, I like the idea of it. It illustrates what would happen if urges of suicide and depression was forcefully treated.

message 9: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Kylie wrote: "I believe I remember you posting about the book previous to this one and I was already so interested! I find it interesting that they follow off of the idea that memories are a matter of perspectiv..."

The donor of the memories gets to choose the memory, but with guidelines. The doctors want them to pick memories of a specific time or feeling in order to make more memories come back naturally. I don't think that really makes sense, but if you read the book it will become clear! I'm glad you're interested, you should definitely read it! It's an amazing series.

message 10: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Kylie wrote: "I believe I remember you posting about the book previous to this one and I was already so interested! I find it interesting that they follow off of the idea that memories are a matter of perspectiv..."
Yes, the series is super complicated and very, very interesting!

message 11: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Isaiah wrote: "it sounds like a good book"

It's an amazing book!

message 12: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Catherine wrote: "What is the title of the first book in the series? I'm really interested in reading it."

The title of the first book is "The Program."

message 13: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments Adrian wrote: "Interesting, I like the idea of it. It illustrates what would happen if urges of suicide and depression was forcefully treated."

The idea of the book is definitely cool! And the author writes it in a way that seems scientifically correct, which makes it even better!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments this sounds like great and very interesting book