SQHS YLL discussion

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda- Becky Albertalli

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda- Becky Albertalli
Review by Jadyn Hawkinson

Simon Spier is an average High School Junior living in Georgia. He loves his Oreo’s, his music, and spending time with his best friends and family. The only thing is, no one knows he’s gay. He is in love, but he’s not ready for the world to know. Everything seems to be going ok until one day, someone discovers that he’s been talking to a secret someone via email and reveals his secret. Simon’s world is flipped upside down as he’s blackmailed into trying to set up his best friend; and his once stable relationships are stretched to the breaking point as he continues to search for his secret admirer and find out more about himself. This book is engaging, thought-provoking, and, most importantly, humorously relatable.

I absolutely LOVED this book. Simon is an incredibly relatable character, with his passion for junk food and his love of music and distaste for school. And even though there are quite a few curse words in this book, I felt they enhanced Simon’s character. They were never used to insult or put any one down, but I feel like they emphasized his anger or his feeling of “I cannot believe I just did that” which are, again, some of the more relatable moods of my years in high school. And while this book made me laugh a lot, it also made me think about people in our school and how they could be going through the exact same thing. Of course, just because I read a book about a homosexual kid doesn’t mean I’m going to be able to understand any peer of mine that is identifies with any of the traits defined by LGBTQ. But I do feel like I kind of understand the fear behind it, and the importance of coming out how you want to and who you want to come out to. This book is an incredible read, and a very easy one as well.

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 12 comments The movie looks amazing. I had no idea that it was a book first. I can't wait to read the book and watch the movie.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay | 13 comments Sounds like a good book. I like how it deals with the bravery of an individual even though it may be embarrassing. Overall it does sound like a good book

message 4: by Moe (new)

Moe | 10 comments I've been wanting to read this book for a while, and the movie looks good too. I like the inclusion and representation of LGBT, and I think people having something like that is important, especially for people who are in the LGBT community and want a character to relate to. I personally cannot wait to read the book finally and see what it is like myself.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
This book only recently came on my radar (because of the movie), so now I want to read it before seeing the movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

I recently finished Aristotle and Dante DIscover the Secrets of the Universe, which is also a coming-of-age story dealing with LGBT issues, and I highly recommend it! The style was a little jarring at first (very staccato), but the book -- especially the characters -- really drew on me. Check it out!!

message 6: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Thank you for the recommendation! I've heard so much about this book since the beginning of the semester, and it sounds really good!

message 7: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Moe wrote: "I've been wanting to read this book for a while, and the movie looks good too. I like the inclusion and representation of LGBT, and I think people having something like that is important, especiall..."

I've been really wanting to see the movie too. I really hope they do the book justice, because this is such a relevant topic in this day and age and I feel like it's awesome how they chose to represent the main character.