SQHS YLL discussion

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
This topic is about The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 12 comments The Maze Runner (First book in the series) – James Dashner
Review by Catherine DiSpigno

Thomas wakes up in a dark elevator with only the memory of his name and nothing else. The doors open to reveal a community of boys living in a place that they call the Glade, which was a type of farm surrounded by high walls. At first no one really explains anything to Thomas like what the walls are or how they got there, and why can’t they remember anything. Instead he gets a tour of the Glade. He then finds out that the walls are a maze that in the two years the boys have been there they have not been able to solve. Everyone in the Glade has their own job and Thomas want to be a runner. A runner goes out into the Maze and well runs around to then later map the part they ran, runners are the best of the best and definitely a job for a new comer. The second day that Thomas was there the box (the elevator) comes up again and with the box a new surprise to everyone in the Glade. With that surprise everything has changed.

The Maze Runner is a definitely a good read. I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. But when I finished the book and watched the movie I was really surprised as to how different the two are. If I was in the story I would have built a really tall ladder to the top of the maze. But any way I liked all the characters and how different they are to each other. There were times when a character annoyed me, Gally and Alby, like when they wouldn’t explain what’s happening to Thomas or answering any of his question or with Gally just being a jerk. I would recommend this book series to anyone who like dystopian novels like The Hunger Games or Divergent.

message 2: by Moe (new)

Moe | 10 comments I've read another book by James Dashner called The Eye of Minds, and I enjoyed it a lot. I think he has a good writing style, and it makes his books interesting to read. I have not read The Maze Runner but I've heard a lot about it, and I'd like to read it more to see more of Dashner's work. I think if you really liked his style, you should check out Eye of Minds and see if that one is as good. It might be interesting to compare his different works and I'll definitely be doing that.

message 3: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah | 11 comments it sounds like a good book

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby Munzanreder | 13 comments I really enjoyed all of the movies to the books you said (Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner) so I am interested in the books but did Maze Runner get boring sometimes since they're like stuck in walls? I know sometimes it can be difficult to describe boring times in a book while being entertaining. Movies always over dramatize from the book so I'm not sure if the book was sometimes hard to get through or if it was entertaining like the movie was.

message 5: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments I've read this book as well as seen the movie, and I agree that it is a good dystopian novel! I also feel the same way about Gally, I was constantly annoyed by him. Its interesting to see other peoples opinions on the book! About your statement, "I would recommend this book series to anyone who like dystopian novels like The Hunger Games or Divergent," I would say I prefer The Hunger Games and Divergent over The Maze Runner. Regardless, it was still a good read. Which of those three series do you prefer?

message 6: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 12 comments Abby wrote: "I really enjoyed all of the movies to the books you said (Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner) so I am interested in the books but did Maze Runner get boring sometimes since they're like stuck..."

For me personally I didn't find it boring because there is always something happening, or they are figuring something out. It was entertaining like the movie and you get more understanding of the characters. Also, the ending of the movie is different from the ending in the book.

message 7: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 12 comments Abby wrote: "I really enjoyed all of the movies to the books you said (Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner) so I am interested in the books but did Maze Runner get boring sometimes since they're like stuck..."

Well in all honesty I have only read The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner and nothing else in their series. But I do think they were both good reads.

message 8: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 10 comments Did you like the movie or the book more?

message 9: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
You said the book was really different from the movie. How so? (If you can say without revealing spoilers!)

message 10: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn Hawkinson | 12 comments Your review was awesome! It really hooked me in and reminded me of the intensity and action of the book. I loved it so much! Who was your favorite character, and what qualities did they posses that made you love them so much?

message 11: by Jayden (new)

Jayden Hogue | 13 comments This book sounds really interesting! Did the book ever get boring since there is really one main setting (the field with all the people)? Why was a new person such a shock? Do they find a way out of the maze? I bet I would really like this book because I really enjoyed the hunger games and divergent.