Beetle Boy
This topic is about Beetle Boy
Beetle Boy by Margaret Willey

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kylie (new) - added it

Kylie | 10 comments Beetle Boy by Margaret Willey
Reviewed by Kylie Wells

Charlie Porter would’ve never guessed that at the age of 7 he would be a published author, especially when the stories aren’t his own. His mom left just before Charlies rise to fame, not only did this crush Charlie but it crushed his brother, even more so it crushed his father. Charlie only wanted the best for his father, so he tried cheering his father up the way his mother would cheer Charlie up, with a bedtime story. Charlies father believed that these beetle stories that Charlie told were his sons greatest creations, without letting Charlie explain he wasn’t the author of the stories. Charlie didn’t want to disappoint his father by speaking of his mother, so he went with it. Next thing you know “Beetle Boy” wasn’t only a published child book series but he was touring the greater Grand Rapids area doing book signings and school presentations, until he was “too old” in his father’s eyes. Now being 18 and currently bed ridden due to a freak accident, Charlie now has time to reflect on his books and his past that continue to haunt him every day. It doesn’t help that his girlfriend wants to know about this past, Charlie has found ways to cover it up with lies but what happens when Clara brings people of the past back in his life?

I thought this book was very insightful, starting out the book I was very angry with Charlie because Clara has every right to know about his past for two reasons she’s his girlfriend and she opened her home to him and let him live there. The least he could do is explain why he’s so standoffish about his past. His mother didn’t play as big of a part in this book as I wish she did, you hear about her when he first introduces the books and towards the end. Charlies little brother Liam has a bigger part than his mother. Overall, I thought this was an amazing story, it was a story I was able to relate to, most teens should be able to relate at least due to Charlies rebellion against his father. I would recommend this book to anyone whose looking for a quick read, or anyone who wants to read about familial hardships.

message 2: by Moe (new)

Moe | 10 comments I've never heard of this book, but the title caught my attention. This seems like it may be a good book to check out one day. I like to have relatable main characters so this might be a good choice. I also would hope the story he tells is in the book too, as I'd like to know about that too.

message 3: by Kylie (new) - added it

Kylie | 10 comments Moe wrote: "I've never heard of this book, but the title caught my attention. This seems like it may be a good book to check out one day. I like to have relatable main characters so this might be a good choice..."
The story flashes back and forth from present day to dreams to his past (probably something I should have mentioned in my summary) but he does tell you what his books are about but unfortunately doesn't share the physical story. I too was super intrigued by the title!

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments I'm surprised that if it's relatable it isn't very popular, as I feel like many people like to read books that they can relate to. I'd say I'm the opposite, I like more action and adventure books. However, this book still sounds good! I feel as if I'd get mad at the beginning like you did, though. I just might have to check this book out!

message 5: by Kylie (new) - added it

Kylie | 10 comments Cassie wrote: "I'm surprised that if it's relatable it isn't very popular, as I feel like many people like to read books that they can relate to. I'd say I'm the opposite, I like more action and adventure books. ..."
As you continue to read the book it will be easier to understand why
Charlie did what he did but like I said i wish he would have opened up more! He had an amazing story to tell but with how he felt about the people involved with the situation he just decided to act as if it never happened. But yes definitely give this book a chance, I went back and forth between two books till I finally settled with this one and I think its a great read.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments This book sounds very interesting. It makes me wonder what kind of accident he got into and why his mom left.

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Original premise for a book! So if he didn't write the stories, who did? How did he happen to get published at such a young age? Who "discovered" his stories?