Short & Sweet Treats discussion

Books, Books, Books > Banned Book Read Out

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:29PM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) | 4443 comments Mod
Every burned book enlightens the world. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Exercise your right to intellectual freedom!

Here we will "read" passages or quotes from some of our favorite banned or challenged books.

message 2: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jul 31, 2014 06:58PM) (new)

"Oh, I see;" said the Tin Woodman. "But, after all, brains are not the best things in the world."
Have you any?" enquired the Scarecrow.
No, my head is quite empty," answered the Woodman; "but once I had brains, and a heart also; so, having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart."

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Banned numerous times in history, including in 1928 arguing that the story was ungodly for “depicting women in strong leadership roles”.

message 3: by Julia (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:47AM) (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) "They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee ((challenged/banned for racism, use of rape as a plot device being "immoral" (1966), language)

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) "I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues."

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (banned in 1971 for "criminaliz[ing] the forestry industry")

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) "When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time. You'd be shocked at how many adults are really dead inside -- walking through their days with no idea who they are, just waiting for a heart attack or cancer or a Mack truck to come along and finish the job. It's the saddest thing I know."

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (banned/challenged for sexual references, in regard to the subject matter about the main character being raped)

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) "It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart."

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (banned/challenged for being to sexually explicit, and in some cases for being too graphic or depressing for the age group)

message 7: by Lauri (new)

Lauri "Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is."

Gone with the Wind by, Margaret Mitchell (banned for racist language).

message 8: by LaLaLa Laura (new)

I like that you put why it was banned or challenged. great idea!

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg Julia wrote: ""It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are ..."

I love that!

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg Laurie wrote: ""Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is."

Gone with the Wind by, Margaret Mitchell (banne..."

Great one Laurie, strikes me as darkly humorous and made me chuckle but it's a little sad too.

message 11: by Lauri (new)

Lauri "There is more beauty in truth, even if it is a dreadful beauty. The storytellers at the city gate twist life so that it looks sweet to the lazy and the stupid and the weak, and this only strengthens their infirmities and teaches nothing, cures nothing, nor does it let the heart soar."

East of Eden by, John Steinbeck (banned/challenged for profanity and it's portrayal of prostitution).