Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > The Bear and the Nightingale - Katherine Arden (4 happy stars)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2677 comments A very brief review because I’m on the app and I hate it, lol ...

I loved this book, set in the remote northern region of medieval Russia, where the old golds (both powerful and ordinary) have their foothold. Vasya and her close-knit family find themselves playing parts in a folk story that turns out not to be so much of a story after all. Conflict with stepmother (not wicked, just troubled) and all. When an egotistical fire and brimstone priest comes to the village, far from being saved, the people find themselves exposed to death and destruction.

One of my favourite books of the year so far.

message 2: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments This book looks so good to me. I was going to read it for June if fairy tales won but I'm not sure if it fits magical realism or not.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments It definitely fits for both fairytales and magical realism. I actually loved this book. And I’m planning to read it sequel, the girl in the tower for June. In fact I have a whole bunch of books out from the library that fit magical realism. If I can get there. There’s actually a third to complete the set, and they’re calling the whole thing the winter night trilogy.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8441 comments I also am reading the The Girl In the Tower this month! Loved The Bear and Nightingale.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments Joanna, love that we’re going to get to read a book together. I’m starting it as soon as I finish catcher in the Rye. Which should be pretty easy to finish if I wasn’t so crazy this week. This is my slowest month in Goodreads/PBT history.

message 6: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I'm currently working my way through this right now as an audio book and really enjoying it; the priest has just arrived at their village, so I'm expecting it'll be picking up steam here quickly. It won't be done this month though, so I'll be claiming it in June for magical realism, I guess!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments Good choice! Maybe you’ll want to read the sequel with us.

message 8: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Oh good hopefully I'll get to it then! Glad to hear it fits magical realism too.

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2677 comments The sequel is out?? Woot!

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm definitely reading it now!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments The third is out or on its way out. The sequel has been out. So a lot of people are going to read this this month which I love

message 12: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I might try to get to this one this month, but I have some others in the pipieline.

message 13: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2677 comments It’s a great fit for magical realism for sure