Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Duo Team Challenge (6/12/18-?) > Sarita & Grace (M) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 216 (216 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 31, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9611 comments Mod
Sarita & Grace, this is your thread for chatting and planning. :)

Link to Review Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

RULES

*Team Roles: Assigned categories can be divvied up however each team would like. Keep in mind that for a team to complete a category, only one member of the duo needs to read a book for that category.
*Page Count: Unless the category you are completing gives a specific page count, there is NOT a minimum page count for this challenge.
*Format: You can read any format you like (eBook, audiobook, print, etc).
*Genre: As long as your book matches the instructions for the category you are completing, you can read any genre you like (picture books, poetry books, manga, travel books, fiction, nonfiction... anything goes!).
*Read Dates: You can use books you've started reading at any time, however you must finish the books on or after the challenge start date.
*Rereads: Books read for this challenge must be books you are reading for the first time (no rereads).

So, as long as you will be finishing your book for the first time during this challenge, and your book works for the category you are completing, go for it! :)

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Categories:

*Read a historical novel
*Read a suspense novel
*Read a contemporary novel
*Read a Biblical fiction novel
*Read a fantasy/sci-fi novel
*Read a YA novel
*Read a book with 100-199 pages
*Read a book with 200-299 pages
*Read a book with 300-399 pages
*Read a book with 400+ pages

*Read a book that has a man and woman on the cover
*Read a book with a single woman on the cover
*Read a book with a single man on the cover
*Read a book with a person on the cover NOT showing their face
*Read a book with a moon on the cover
*Read a book with a water on the cover
*Read a book with a bridge on the cover
*Read a book with a mostly white cover
*Read a book with a mostly black cover
*Read a book with a mostly blue cover

*Read a book with a mostly green cover
*Read a book with a mode of transportation (car, boat, bicycle, etc.) on the cover
*Read a book with a dog or cat on the cover or in the title
*Read a book with a baby on the cover or in title
*Read a book with three or more people on the cover
*Read a book with a road (dirt or paved) on the cover
*Read a book with a dress on the cover
*Read a book without people on the cover
*Read a book with a hat on the cover
*Read a book with a fence on the cover

*Read a book that DOESN'T have the words "A, An, or The" in the title
*Read a book that DOES have the words "A, An, or The" in the title
*Read a book with a family relationship in the title (son, daughter, mother, etc)
*Read a book that has "And" in the title
*Read a book with a one word title
*Read a book with a hyphen in the title (e.g. Christmas Cover-Up)
*Read a book with an apostrophe in the title (e.g. Grace's Pictures)
*Read a book with a number in the title (e.g. The 30-Day Praise Challenge / Three Little Words)
*Read a book with a profession in the title (Doctor, midwife, etc)
*Read a book with a double letter in the title (e.g. Falling for You - double "L"' in Falling)

*Read a book published in the spring (March-June)
*Read a book published in the summer (June-September)
*Read a book published in the fall (September-December)
*Read a book published in the winter (December-March)
*Read a book that is the first book in its series
*Read a book that is the last book in its series
*Read a book that is NOT part of a series
*Read a book that is part of a trilogy (only three books in the series)
*Read a book that is part of a series with 4+ books
*Read a book with 5 or more vowels in the title (e.g. The Rose of Winslow Street)

*Read a book that is set during a war
*Read a book set OUTSIDE the USA
*Read a book with a police officer or soldier (must include text which mentions them)
*Read a book with a doctor or nurse (must include text which mentions them)
* Read a book with something musical on the cover or in the title (i.e. an instrument, musical notes, etc.)
*Read a debut novel
*Read a book that was not originally published this year (2018)
*Read a book with stars on the cover
*Read a book with a suitcase/luggage on the cover
*Read a book with an author with three names (must be on the cover)
e.g. Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1) by Robin Jones Gunn

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Challenge officially starts 6/12/18, so make sure you finish your books on or after that date.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

I created a spreadsheet for you, which you guys can use if you want. :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Thanks Melanie! The spreadsheet looks like it will be very helpful!

message 8: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Thanks Melanie

message 9: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Grace, how would you like to tackle this challenge?

I looked through all the categories and do not have books in my immediate to-read list for the following categories - do you perhaps have?

*fantasy/sci-fi
*moon
*dog/cat
*baby
*hyphen
*profession
*debut novel
*stars on cover
*suitcase/luggage

Maybe you can also see which categories you don't have and if I have those, I can read those categories?

Then I figured we can just post here and say what book we are reading and to which category it will apply and follow a process of elimination?

So I think we can maybe begin by identifying the categories we might struggle to find books for, as per my list above to see if the other person has options?

Let me know your thoughts.

message 10: by Grace (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:15AM) (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments I like your idea!

I can definitely find a book for both the *fantasy/sci-fi and the one with *stars on the cover as I tend to pick up books in that genre often. I have to think if I have one with the *moon on it though.

I can also find books that will fit
*dog/cat
*suitcase/luggage

I might have one for *baby
If I am able to get my hands on it, then I might have one for *debut novel
I think I will have one for *profession if a police detective counts. If not, then the book might still have a doctor or another profession in it.
And I think I just found one with a *Hyphen!!!! YAY =D (I looked for a long time for that one lol).

I am pretty fixable about which book I can read for the challenge, as my TBR is huge and I get most of my books at the library. But here are some of the books that I think I will have problems finding (and I will get more of an idea after I start ordering some books from the library)

Books I might have a hard time finding:
*Read a book that is set during a war
*Read a Biblical fiction novel
*Read a historical novel
(I sometimes read these books, but I tend to be picky with this one and can't think of any right off hand, but I could still probably read one if you don't have one for this.)

And just posting here to say what we are reading for which category will work fine.

Oh, I can't wait, just around 10 more days! =)

message 11: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Hi Grace

I have a few historical fictions, books set during a War and Biblical fictions, so I will tackle those categories.

I'm just checking on something wrt these with Melanie:

But I will tackle these for us as well :-)

As we post what we will be reading, we can update the spreadsheet as well.

Looking forward to this challenge :-)

message 12: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Okay thanks Sarita! Can't wait! =)

message 13: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Only 5 more days before the challenge starts.

I think my current book will be finished before the challenge starts.

My planned next read will be Raptor 6 (Quiet Professionals #1) by Ronie Kendig

It fits a few categories, by I was thinking of using it for the category: *Read a book with a number in the title (e.g. The 30-Day Praise Challenge / Three Little Words)?

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Yeah, I think Raptor 6 by Ronie Kendig will work great for the category: *Read a book with a number in the title (e.g. The 30-Day Praise Challenge / Three Little Words)

My planned read for the challenge is Free-Wrench (Free-Wrench, #1) by Joseph R. Lallo

I was thinking about using it for the category: *Read a book with a hyphen in the title (e.g. Christmas Cover-Up)

As I had a hard time finding a lot of books with a hyphen in the title, lol!

Just 5 more days! Oh boy! This is going to be fun! =D

message 15: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments That will work great for the "books with a hyphen in the title".

I have a few books which covers a few categories, but thought I will try to clear the more difficult categories first :-)

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Sarita wrote: "That will work great for the "books with a hyphen in the title".

I have a few books which covers a few categories, but thought I will try to clear the more difficult categories first :-)"

Sounds good. =)

message 17: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Yeah the challenge has started :-)

So, after my current read, my next planned read is: Worth the Wait (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1.5) by Karen Witemeyer

It fits all of the following categories:
*Read a book with 100-199 pages
*Read a book that has a man and woman on the cover
*Read a book with a mode of transportation (car, boat, bicycle, etc.) on the cover
*Read a book that DOES have the words "A, An, or The" in the title

For all the above categories I do have other options as well. Which category do you prefer we cover first?

message 18: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Hooray! The challenge is finally here! =D

Hmmm....

I think that Worth the Wait by Karen Witemeyer would work good for *read a book published in winter (December-March) but you're right about it working well for a lot of categories. =)

So the other day I was looking through the categories and saw that I misread the one about the profession. Apparently the profession is supposed to be in the title not really in the content in the book.

*Read a book with a profession in the title (Doctor, midwife, etc)

So I don't have a book with police detective in the title. My bad, I must have been tired or something.

I do however have this book The Novelist by Angela Elwell Hunt

Do you think that book would work with the category of having a profession in the title? If so, then I can make that book my next read after my current.

message 19: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Grace, the Novelist works for profession in title.

message 20: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Also, there is a different category that is for a police officer in text. :)

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Melanie wrote: "Also, there is a different category that is for a police officer in text. :)"

Melanie wrote: "Grace, the Novelist works for profession in title."

Thanks Melanie! Then I'll make The Novelist my next read after my current for the challenge.

I knew I saw one category about a police officer in the text somewhere. lol. Well, I will keep that in mind for a future book.

I want to thank you again for all the hard work you put in making these challenges. They are a lot of fun! =D

message 22: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words 😊

message 23: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Great, I was also thinking to get the published periods out of the way first :-)

message 24: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Melanie, I agree, I always enjoy the challenges :-) Thank you :-)

message 25: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Thanks, Sarita! 😊

message 26: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Grace, I have updated the spreadsheet with the books we have so far.

message 27: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Sarita wrote: "Grace, I have updated the spreadsheet with the books we have so far."

Thanks Sarita. =)

message 28: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments I might be offline next week. My manager told me to go on leave next week :-), so we might go somewhere in the nature with no reception.

After Worth the Wait, I'm planning on reading Brentwood's Ward

Was thinking of using it for *Read a book with an apostrophe in the title (e.g. Grace's Pictures)?

message 29: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Sounds good! Enjoy your trip, Sarita! =)

I think that Brentwood's Ward would work great for *Read a book with an apostrophe in the title.

message 30: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Hey, Sarita! I'm not sure if you are back from your trip yet, but I hope you had a great time. =D

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that finished reading Free-Wrench and will now be starting to read The Novelist.

Melanie said here that it is okay not to post reviews for the moderate categories. And because I have been very busy and haven't been able to read very much the past few days, I have decided not to do a review for that book, at least at this time.

I did put the book in our review thread and updated the spreadsheet. =)

message 31: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments So after I read The Novelist, I was thinking about reading this book Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

It fits all of the following categories:
*Read a book with 300-399 pages (it has 368 pages)
*Read a book with a single woman on the cover
*Read a book that DOESN'T have the words "A, An, or The" in the title
*Read a book with a double letter in the title (e.g. Falling for You - double "L"' in Falling)
(Double "O" in Moon)
*Read a book that is NOT part of a series

Which one should do you prefer we cover?

message 32: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Hi Grace - I think all of those is fine. But maybe one of the categories wrt the cover? The pages and published should be easy to cover later?

Our trip was great, just short. But loved being in nature without electronics.

I finished my 3 books. Will write a review and post it in our review thread this week. When I have access to a computer again.

I just started Deadly Safari - it is set in Africa, so I figured I would use that for the category - “not in USA” if you are ok with that?

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Okay, I'll read Moon Over Manifest for *Read a book with a single woman on the cover then.

I'm glad that you had a wonderful time on your trip! =) And yay on finishing your books!

Yeah, I think Deadly Safari would work great for the category *Read a book set OUTSIDE the USA

message 34: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Ok, just posted all my completed books in our review thread. And updated the spreadsheet for the finished dates.

So my next planned books is:

Against the Tide by Elizabeth Camden - it will work for:
*Read a book with a person on the cover NOT showing their face

Which one do you think we should use this one for?

Then I'm also planning on reading: The Innkeeper's Daughter (The Bow Street Runners #2) by Michelle Griep

I thought I could use this for *Read a book with a family relationship in the title (son, daughter, mother, etc)?

But will also fit :
*Read a book with a police officer or soldier (must include text which mentions them) (also have other options for this)
*Read a book with 300-399 pages (also a few other options for this)
*Read a historical novel (also a few other options for this),

message 35: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments We can use Against the Tide for *Read a book with a mode of transportation (car, boat, bicycle, etc.) on the cover I just love the ship in the background!

As for The Innkeeper's Daughter, I totally agree that it will work good for *Read a book with a family relationship in the title (son, daughter, mother, etc) I think that this is the one we should use for that book. =)

message 36: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments 100%

message 37: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Morning Grace

Hope you are well. We are enjoying cold weather here.

I'm currently reading Gideon's Gift (Red Gloves, #1) by Karen Kingsbury - I checked with Melanie - this will work for the category: *Read a book with a mostly white cover

So thought I could cover that one if you are happy with that.

message 38: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Hey Sarita! Yep, I have been doing good, just reading slow because of work, lol. We also have been having some cooler weather than normal for this time of year. It feels good, expect when I wake in the morning and brrr! lol

Yes, I think Gideon's Gift will work great for the mostly white cover.

message 39: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Don't stress about your reading pace - reading should be fun :-)

This month was a good month for me reading wise. Not sure what next month will be like :-)

message 40: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Yep, I have been having a blast with this challenge and just reading in general!

The book I am currently reading --- The Novelist --- has so far been the best book I have read in a while. I have been loving every minute that I have been able to have with it. =)

I'm glad that this month has been a good reading month for you! Hope that you will find time and good books for next month as well. =)

message 41: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Updated our review thread for the books read.

message 42: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments So my reading plans for July include:

1. The Innkeeper's Daughter (The Bow Street Runners #2) by Michelle Griep - catgory: *Read a book with a family relationship in the title (son, daughter, mother, etc)
2. Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar - Biblical fiction or blue cover?
3. Secrets She Kept by Cathy Gohlke - *Read a book that is set during a war - WW2?
4. Broken Wings (Second Chances, #4) by Terri Blackstock or Chasing Secrets (Elite Guardians, #4) by Lynette Eason - *Read a book that is the last book in its series

Let me know if this works for you or if there was a category in the above possibilities you would like to use for your books.

message 43: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Yep, I agree with your plans. With Pearl in the Sand could you read that one for Biblical fiction? I might have a blue book later on, not sure yet though, waiting to see the books I get from the library. =)

So my reading plans should include:

1. Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2) by Shannon Hale -*Read a fantasy/sci-fi novel

2. River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) by Shannon Hale - (I honesty don't know which cover edition I will get from the library yet but if I do get the edition I want then it would work great for the *blue cover). If I don't get the right edition then it would work for *Read a YA novel

3. Disowned (Allegiance #1) by Sarah Addison-Fox - (if you think it would work for *stars on the cover. If not then I got others I could work for that one.)

message 44: by Sarita (new)

Will use Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar for biblical fiction.

Disowned (Allegiance #1) by Sarah Addison-Fox - It def looks like stars on the cover, so will work for that category :-)

message 45: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Hey Sarita,

I was able to go to the library to pick up my books and these are the editions I got:

Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern #2) by Shannon Hale which I was going to use for -*Read a fantasy/sci-fi novel

River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) by Shannon Hale which this is not really the blue edition.... =( But I could use it for -*Read a YA novel instead.

Also I plan on reading Enna Burning and River Secrets right after I finish The Novelist, since River Secrets is a interlibrary loan so I will not be able to renew it. I still plan on reading Moon Over Manifest, I just will get to that after I finish those three. I am going to have a few days off this week, so I should get in some reading time. ;)

message 46: by Sarita (new)

That is totally fine. I understand how reading plans change with when certain books become available.

message 47: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Hey Sarita!

I just got "The Novelist" read and and making my way through "Enna Burning"!

I updated the review thread and the spreadsheet as well.

Also I was thinking about using River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) by Shannon Hale for *Read a book with a water on the cover---- instead of *Read a YA novel---- if that is okay with you. I thought it would work better.

Hope you are having a nice day! =)

message 48: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Hi Grace.

That would work well for water on the cover. I'm 100% fine with that :-)

After a freezing and cold weekend last week, we have a sunny one this week. We are hoping we can actually go find snow at a town nearby tomorrow. Hopefully we can still find some before everything is melted!

message 49: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 206 comments Since snow is unheard of this time of year where I live, I'm trying to imagine it being that cold right now. With it being in the 80's a couple of days ago, we could use some snow. =) But I guess I will have to wait and see if we'll get some this winter.

By the way, were you reading Broken Wings or Chasing Secrets for *Read a book that is the last book in its series ?

message 50: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 1310 comments Think I will read Broken Wings for last in series.

« previous 1 3 4 5