Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Magnificent Ambersons - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Is anyone else reading this one?

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "Is anyone else reading this one?"

I have it Kelly but I haven't started it yet. You?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Loretta wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Is anyone else reading this one?"

I have it Kelly but I haven't started it yet. You?"

Yes, I finished it. I enjoyed it very much. 4 stars.

message 5: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. | 10 comments Started reading The Magnificent Ambersons today and finding it enjoyable, humorous and illuminating of a bygone era and the changes in society during this period. Love spoiled Georgie so far!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Started reading The Magnificent Ambersons today and finding it enjoyable, humorous and illuminating of a bygone era and the changes in society during this period. Love spoiled Georg..."

I can't wait to follow your thoughts!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 276 comments Okay--I found the thread! I feel like I better wait before committing absolutely, but this is something I definitely would like to get to. I feel I need to clear my plate a little bit first though.

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bryan wrote: "Okay--I found the thread! I feel like I better wait before committing absolutely, but this is something I definitely would like to get to. I feel I need to clear my plate a little bit first though."

No worries Bryan. Like I said, these threads stay open and members do come back and discuss when other members comment.

If you do read the book I'll look forward to your thoughts. 😊

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrickofsylvania) | 13 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Spoiled Georgie indeed! I'm really interested in hearing how this plays out.

I'm currently participating in a free online course sponsored by Yale called The Science of Well-Being. I'm fascinated by research on our happiness and the ways our brain tricks us into being unhappy.

I'm reminded of the course because I know Georgie's life is about to change. I'm curious to see who loses it and who says to themselves "things aren't as bad as we think."

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Patrick wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Spoiled Georgie indeed! I'm really interested in hearing how this plays out.

I'm currently participating in a free online course sponsored by Yale called The Science ..."

I hope you will tell us more when you finish.

message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Patrick wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Spoiled Georgie indeed! I'm really interested in hearing how this plays out.

I'm currently participating in a free online course sponsored by Yale called The Science ..."

Patrick, this online course you're taking sounds really good! Please let me know the end result. 😊

message 12: by Patrick (last edited Jun 13, 2018 05:53PM) (new)

Patrick (patrickofsylvania) | 13 comments Loretta wrote: "Patrick wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Spoiled Georgie indeed! I'm really interested in hearing how this plays out.

I'm currently participating in a free online course sponsored by Yale cal..."

Hi Loretta and Kelly, I think you can still enroll. We're just starting week 3 of 10. It charges $49 if you want a certificate. If not, the course is free.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-sc...

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Patrick wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Patrick wrote: "I'm about 1/3 of the way in. Spoiled Georgie indeed! I'm really interested in hearing how this plays out.

I'm currently participating in a free online course spons..."

Thanks for the information Patrick. I'm going to look into it!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 276 comments Finally started this today. Kind of an abrupt switch from what I've been reading lately, but I'll get used to it.

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bryan wrote: "Finally started this today. Kind of an abrupt switch from what I've been reading lately, but I'll get used to it."

I look forward to your thoughts Bryan.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Bryan wrote: "Finally started this today. Kind of an abrupt switch from what I've been reading lately, but I'll get used to it."

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.