Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Hitchhikers Guide - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments While it is not entirely faithful to the book in every detail, I do think that the film takes enough material from the book in a faithful manner to the extent that if you end up liking the book you will probably like the movie.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 429 comments MJD wrote: "While it is not entirely faithful to the book in every detail, I do think that the film takes enough material from the book in a faithful manner to the extent that if you end up liking the book you..."

I loved the book but didn't like the movie. I found it too weak in that IMO the humor wasn't conveyed in the best way. It was some time ago, though, and I basically forgot the movie (which says a lot...), so I couldn't be more precise.

message 4: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments Marina wrote: "MJD wrote: "While it is not entirely faithful to the book in every detail, I do think that the film takes enough material from the book in a faithful manner to the extent that if you end up liking ..."

I should be more clear with my recommendation. As a stand-alone movie, I don't think that it is too great; but I that it has merit to people that like the book as it can be interesting to see parts of the book on the screen. For example, the part in the book where Marvin first encounters the protagonist is copied nearly quote by quote in the movie; for me it was interesting to see that passage from the book put to screen.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 429 comments Yes, MJD, I remember the scene you mention and that one was in fact good. Anyway I would be interested to learn from people who both read the book and watched the movie whether they liked them both.

PS. Don't worry about not being clear. Perhaps it was me wasn't clear enough ;)

WhatIReallyRead | 372 comments I've read this book a couple of years ago, and I remember it was pretty painful to get through. It's humorous, but it wasn't funny to me. And different senses of humor is a gap you can't bridge!

message 7: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I'm hoping to start reading this, ummmm, maybe at the end of the week - well how to ☺

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 276 comments WhatIReallyRead wrote: "It's humorous, but it wasn't funny to me. And different senses of humor is a gap you can't bridge!"

Well said. So many times someone has recommended a book or movie to me because they thought it was so hilarious. I could usually see what parts it was that they thought were funny, but I didn't find them particularly so. I'm one of those that thought HHGttG had a belly laugh on every page. It's easily one of the funniest books I've ever read, and I thought Adams was able to keep it up through the entire trilogy (it did seem to get a little old after that though)

What can I say? Some people like Krazy Kat, and others like Peanuts. :)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 276 comments Marina wrote: "Anyway I would be interested to learn from people who both read the book and watched the movie whether they liked them both...."

I thought the movie had its charms, but a book like Hitchhiker's seems to me to be so dependent on the images the author is able to elicit in the reader's mind (and which is where so much of the humor comes from), that actually seeing it on screen robs it of a lot of its strength. But I always get a laugh out of watching Sam Rockwell, so I ended up being more favorable toward the film than a lot of fans were.

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I've never seen the movie. I wonder if I'd enjoy it more.

message 11: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments Loretta wrote: "I've never seen the movie. I wonder if I'd enjoy it more."

I kind of think of it as "Shaun of the Dead" in space, have you seen that movie?

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

MJD wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I've never seen the movie. I wonder if I'd enjoy it more."

I kind of think of it as "Shaun of the Dead" in space, have you seen that movie?"

No. I've never even heard of it. I'm really not a big movie buff unless it's the old black and white films.

message 13: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I am wondering if our idea of comedy / humour has changed. Reading only the first couple of paragraphs the tone is quirky, and preparing me that what follows is not to be taken seriously.

I wish I could read more - I am intrigued but I am still reading another science fiction - and after that I will be reading Tolkein's Hobbit followed by Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion - so I will probably read this next year.

Will keep you posted :)

message 14: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments Inkspill wrote: "I am wondering if our idea of comedy / humour has changed. Reading only the first couple of paragraphs the tone is quirky, and preparing me that what follows is not to be taken seriously.

I wish I..."

For me the book was a very quick read. I think that the structure of having a lot of small chapters helps facilitate faster reading.

Hope to hear your thoughts when you get around to it.

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

MJD wrote: "Inkspill wrote: "I am wondering if our idea of comedy / humour has changed. Reading only the first couple of paragraphs the tone is quirky, and preparing me that what follows is not to be taken ser..."

I agree with you MJD, it was a very quick read with short chapters.

message 16: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2018 06:08AM) (new)

Inkspill wrote: "I am wondering if our idea of comedy / humour has changed. Reading only the first couple of paragraphs the tone is quirky, and preparing me that what follows is not to be taken seriously.

I wish I..."

Inkspill, I think your plan of reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings before The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is good! Enjoy your reading! 😊

message 17: by Inkspill (last edited Jul 23, 2018 06:06AM) (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I really want to read this, along with, ummm, too many others ☺, and if there's room for me to read this inbetween others I will try, it's good to know it has short chapters and is a quick read.

Sure, I'll post here when I've read it, right now (along with other books) reading Poetic Edda before starting on The Hobbit - neat!!!

update
I'm reading this now and will post, hopefully soon, in the spoiler thread my thoughts

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene | 11 comments I know I'm really late commenting on this (funny, because I was reading this book roughly at the same time but I was on holiday then with no regular internet connection)

I watched the film many years ago without having read the book and although I don't remember much of it, I don't think I found it particularly funny, probably because I didn't fully understand the story. But I LOVED the book and I thought it was very funny and witty. I was laughing out loud many times! I think that being familiar with the story makes it easier to 'get' the film but I have to agree that this is not an easy story to put into images. Perhaps that's why it was more successful in its original form as a radio broadcast comedy.

Also, considering that this could be a great example of British self-deprecating humour, it would be interesting to consider whether cultural bias (say, UK vs. US culture) can affect how we enjoy this book. I have already seen in the spoilers thread that some people totally dislike it and others love it and I wonder whether perhaps this has to do with it. And same about the film. Although it is partly a British production, could it be that the humour has been 'decaffeinated' in order to please a larger audience and that's why it doesn't seem so authentic to fans of the book?

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Irene wrote: "I know I'm really late commenting on this (funny, because I was reading this book roughly at the same time but I was on holiday then with no regular internet connection)

I watched the film many ye..."

Not late at all Irene! Threads are always open and members comment.

I never saw the movie and didn't know much about the book when I read it. There are definitely two camps of readers here on Goodreads. The "I really hated the book" or the "I really loved the book". I neither hated it or loved it. I gave the book four stars rounding up from what I thought was a 3.5 star read. Glad I read the book to see what all the fuss was about but I wouldn't read it again.

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 😊

message 20: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Irene wrote: "Also, considering that this could be a great example of British self-deprecating humour, it would be interesting to consider whether cultural bias (say, UK vs. US culture) can affect how we enjoy this book. I have already seen in the spoilers thread that some people totally dislike it and others love it and I wonder whether perhaps this has to do with it. And same about the film. Although it is partly a British production, could it be that the humour has been 'decaffeinated' in order to please a larger audience and that's why it doesn't seem so authentic to fans of the book?"

I've not seen the movie, it's an interesting thought you pose Irene. Yeah, it's a possibility - what makes something a comedy is subjective and maybe that is tied up with culture ?