HPL Reads discussion

Libraries Rock! > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (fun-sizelibrarian) | 35 comments Mod
I'll start us off by telling you what I'm reading: Murder on Black Swan Lane by Andrea Penrose. It's a Regency mystery involving artists, alchemy, and murder in atmospheric London. *shiver* So far, so good.

What are you reading?

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 10 comments You know I'm obsessively on this site trying to find my next hold shelf requests and was so excited to see this post! I just downloaded the new Libby app and got Calypso all in the same day! His dysfunctional family stories remind me of my own large family, and they make me feel better because his family is slightly more dysfunctional than my own. I'm also reading (in hardcopy) Winter. Maybe an odd selection for summer reading. Its a very poignant story/political commentary that happens to take place over the Christmas holiday. I love Sedaris and Smith, so summer is off to a good start!

message 3: by Homewood Public Library (last edited Jun 05, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Homewood Public Library (homewoodpubliclibrary) | 53 comments Mod
Kristina wrote: "You know I'm obsessively on this site trying to find my next hold shelf requests and was so excited to see this post! I just downloaded the new Libby app and got Calypso all in the ..."

I love the Libby App. When I'm stuck in a long line or waiting, I always have a book available on my phone. I'm reading the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook - Spielerhandbuch. My college kiddo is really into D&D and is leading a campaign for a group of us. I have Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone in progress too. --Heidi

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (fun-sizelibrarian) | 35 comments Mod
A great twisty mystery has just released! The Word is Murder, by Anthony Horowitz, is a fictional mystery written in nonfiction true crime style. The author plays with the reader's mind from the very beginning by inserting himself as a character. The plot is more cerebral than action oriented, and this blur of fiction and reality is somewhat mind bending. This initially made it difficult to fully immerse myself in the story. Once I stopped trying to decipher what I thought was true versus what the author likely made up I enjoyed the story a lot. The pacing of the novel was good and it kept my attention. I highly recommend it!