Great African Reads discussion

A Grain of Wheat
This topic is about A Grain of Wheat
Archived | Regional Books 2018 > July/Aug 2018 | A Grain of Wheat by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
This thread is for discussions of our July/Aug 2018 read of A Grain of Wheat by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
- with NO SPOILERS (there is a thread with spoilers allowed too) - so feel free to discuss book editions, availability, expectations etc. - when you get into the book, please join us in the spoiler thread!

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) | 0 comments It took some digging, but I was able to find the book at my University Library. I've got it on order and should receive it soon. I'm looking forward to this discussion.

message 3: by Orgeluse (new) - added it

Orgeluse | 425 comments I have just finished Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Essay "Decolonising the mind" and read and liked "Wizard of Crows" some years ago, so I am in "wa Thiong'o mood/mode" :))! I will receive a copy in two weeks time.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wim | 846 comments Mod
I'm excited to finally read one of Ngugi's book. Looking forward!

message 5: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new) - added it

PS | 143 comments Mod
Orgeluse wrote: "I have just finished Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Essay "Decolonising the mind" and read and liked "Wizard of Crows" some years ago, so I am in "wa Thiong'o mood/mode" :))! I will receive a copy in two week..."

I LOVE decolonising the mind. I have read excerpts from the Wizard of the Crow – which I really enjoyed. I'm excited to read this one too.

message 6: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new) - added it

PS | 143 comments Mod
My copy's just arrived and I'm thinking of starting next week. Anyone else reading along?

message 7: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wim | 846 comments Mod
Sofia wrote: "My copy's just arrived and I'm thinking of starting next week. Anyone else reading along?"

I plan to read as well, but probably I won't be able to start next week...

Whitlaw Tanyanyiwa Mugwiji (jjwhitlaw) | 14 comments Wim wrote: "Sofia wrote: "My copy's just arrived and I'm thinking of starting next week. Anyone else reading along?"

I plan to read as well, but probably I won't be able to start next week..."

As soon as I finish some two books I am reading, which should be at the end of next week.

message 9: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments Sofia wrote: "My copy's just arrived and I'm thinking of starting next week. Anyone else reading along?"

Later this week I could. Thursday or Friday.

message 10: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new) - added it

PS | 143 comments Mod
Yay! Yeah I’m going to start this weekend. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 11: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments Sofia wrote: "Yay! Yeah I’m going to start this weekend. Looking forward to the discussion!"

Me, too.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) | 0 comments I've got it in rotation with a few other books that I'm reading. What I need to do is stop reading so many books at once and focus on one or two at a time. Then I might actually finish a book in a reasonable amount of time! ;)

message 13: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments Catherine wrote: "I've got it in rotation with a few other books that I'm reading. What I need to do is stop reading so many books at once and focus on one or two at a time. Then I might actually finish a book in a ..."

yes, well, maybe - but what's the fun in that?? :)

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) | 0 comments Carol wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I've got it in rotation with a few other books that I'm reading. What I need to do is stop reading so many books at once and focus on one or two at a time. Then I might actually f..."

LOL!!

message 15: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 796 comments Mod
I have gotten a library copy - and was put off by yellow pages and tiny type... but it's getting rave reviews, so I guess I should get to it. How is everybody else getting on?

message 16: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wim | 846 comments Mod
I started reading this book yesterday. Anybody else is reading along? I haven't seen any discussion on this book: did you all quit?

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) | 0 comments I had to return the book before I got to it. :(

message 18: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wim | 846 comments Mod
I finished the book yesterday night (couldn't put it down!) and am really impressed: what a powerful and beautiful book!
I definitely recommand it.