Amazon exiles discussion

Reducing Costs of Packing Mature-Green Tomatoes at Florida Shipping Points (Classic Reprint)
Music chat > Amazon shipping price hike

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishy_Jim (last edited May 31, 2018 07:40AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 969 comments I just went to order a CD from Amazon with standard delivery and the Shipping cost came up as £2.99. It used to be £1.26 (which it still is for their third party sellers). That's an increase of 237%.

(Once again, it's taken four attempts to start this thread, ticking the I'm not a robot box and being forced to nominate a book that this thread is supposedly about and then finding that the thread didn't get posted and resubmitting it all again and then having an error message telling me to retry and FINALLY getting the damn thing to stick!)

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments Ouch! Unless you're just an occasional buyer, it's just another reason to pay for Prime sub - even if you don't use anything from that except free shipping (which I don't; the internet here is far too poor for video or music streaming - even if I were interested in them!)

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments Btw, lol at your 'book choice' Jim

message 4: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments You seem to be setting up your own mini Forums, Jim?!

And that's clever, that is! ;o>

message 5: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments I don't like Amazon, period! :)

Ebay rules!

message 6: by Collette (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:36AM) (new)

Collette | 4542 comments I still really like Zon. Their Find clothing range has some beautiful pieces (and if you're clever you can pick them up at really good prices) and we now have Amazon Smile (where I get to support the SSPCA).

message 7: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I only use ‘zon as a last resort, I can find most things cheaper on ebay, often with free delivery.

message 8: by Brass Neck (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments New cds = HMV 2 for £15 delivered.
Old cds = (mostly) s/h from ebay or sellers on zon (but always compare anything offered by Music Magpie with their own website, especially since their delivery charges went up to £1.76)
Clothes & shoes = mostly ebay, especially M&S whose sizing I know and trust.

Really don't like that temporary rush of excitement when you see a cd 'from £4' and click to find it has a £7 delivery charge making it the most expensive. At least zon do automatically rank the prices including delivery.

Twere allus gonna 'appen once zon did away with effective competition (Play, HDWow, Tesco, Sainsburys, etc) and achieved a near monopoly in certain areas like entertainment media. Anyhow let's hear it for Jeff Bezos and his billions..... (although TBF I do remember when zon was a massively loss-making enterprise for many years while it established its market dominance - gutsy, clever fella).

message 9: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Discogs is often worth a look for older and more unusual music.

message 10: by Fishy_Jim (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:23AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 969 comments It has been suggested that Bezos' battle with Trump has lead to some financial pressure which may have something to do with Amazon raising prices.

message 11: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments Fishy_Jim wrote: "It has been suggested that Bezos' battle with Trump has lead to some financial pressure which may have something to do with Amazon raising prices."

Trump was directly (and, of course, inappropriately) urging the USPS to increase their charges for zon.com deliveries. This should have no bearing on the zon.co.uk charges.

message 12: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments Stuff like this doesn't endear zon to me either;

http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/amazon...

message 13: by Val (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

Val H. | 15737 comments Today's news:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia...

"Amazon will not ship overseas goods to Australian customers after new GST (Goods & Services Tax) rules that target international retailers come into effect in July.

Amazon’s new rule, announced on Thursday, will prevent Australians from buying from the Amazon US store – or any international Amazon stores – which frequently have cheaper goods and a greater range compared with the Australian Amazon store.

From 1 July this year, Australian customers who visit an international Amazon store will be redirected to the Australian site, which has been running since late last year.

The move is a response to a new GST policy that will apply 10% tax to all overseas purchases under $1,000 announced by the Turnbull government last year in a bid to “level the playing field” between Australian and overseas retailers."

Heard folk on the radio this AM irate about the so-called disadvantage felt by Australian retailers. One bloke was buying a turbocharger for his Land Rover. Local price: AU$2900. Amazon.uk price (including shipping) : AU$700.

It won't affect me. I buy most of my CDs, occasional books, DVDs, clothes, toys, jigsaws etc from eBay. I doubt the Govt will be able to enforce the GST rules on eBay because how do you prove the item is brand new? I have recently bought CDs from Discogs - postage can be high but still warranted for rarities that I can't source elsewhere.

message 14: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15737 comments Further to the above, I have checked out Amazon Australia from time to time. They rarely have what I want and when they do, the prices are higher than buying from a bricks and mortar store.

message 15: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15737 comments I don't know that I'll find it economically beneficial to join eBay's new scheme for Australians to rival Amazon Prime. AU$49 per year?

eBay is offering unlimited delivery and returns in Australia to rival Amazon

https://www.afr.com/technology/web/ec...

message 16: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3887 comments Val wrote: "Further to the above, I have checked out Amazon Australia from time to time. They rarely have what I want and when they do, the prices are higher than buying from a bricks and mortar store."

How often do you buy bricks & mortar Val? The delivery on those must be sky high!

message 17: by theDuke (last edited Jun 01, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Val's extensions must be impressive! :)

message 18: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments The Sydney Opera House? - that's just Val's Conservatory! ;o>

message 19: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments I have noticed that recently, the Amazon sellers have been allowed to charge whatever they want to for shipping. Until a few months ago, Amazon set the shipping price at £1.82 for posting a CD to Ireland. Now, it's a free for all, I have seen some charging up to £10. Direct from Amazon it's £4.00, but then they add on extra VAT on top of their usually already inflated prices.
Yet another nail in Amazon's coffin for me, it's been 5 months since I bought a CD on there now. Most of my purchases this year have come either at gigs, on Bandcamp, Discogs or Dodax, with the odd ebay bargain here and there. We also have an Irish classified ads site that can be really good, with the added advantage that most sellers have no idea what they are selling or what it's worth.

message 20: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 969 comments Let's hope that if enough people vote with their feet, Amazon have a change of heart.

message 21: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Not holding my breath!

message 22: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Since the last Post on here on June the 8th?! - I should think not, Martin! - LOL!!! ;o>

message 23: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Breaking News ... The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has just ruled that Amazon must clarify that some items on its Prime service are not available for one-day delivery ...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/compan...

message 24: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Nothing new there, really - more and more often now when you click onto a Prime item, delivery shows 2 - 3 days and this doesn't just apply to trying to order on or just before a weekend.
I've changed my mind on several items due to this, and am seriously considering ending my Prime membership.

It's about time that Amazon were held to account on this issue, though they'll find a way round it, just like they do with their UK taxes!

message 25: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Aug 11, 2018 11:46AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Well, I must admit that I've occasionally used the Amazon Prime Free Trial on finding out that my Account will allow me to. And it has come in very handy when I've suddenly had something that I really needed to buy and get delivered ASAP and the Express Delivery Cost was going to prove to be a very expensive option otherwise.

My Orders always arrive within 3 days using Prime instead of the more usual 2 to 3 weeks and then some(!) and so it is also especially well worth using the Free Trial in November - for buying Christmas presents when Amazon's overall Delivery system just gets even slower and even less likely to ever arrive on time.

message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments Grizzlygrump wrote: "Nothing new there, really - more and more often now when you click onto a Prime item, delivery shows 2 - 3 days and this doesn't just apply to trying to order on or just before a weekend.
I've chan..."

Yes. All the goods are officially 'owned' by Amazon's Luxembourg division, which is probably why. Although it's highly unlikely any but a minuscule proportion are held there.

message 27: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Well, I placed two more Prime orders today - one is due tomorrow and the other on Wednesday. Perhaps that one is coming from Luxembourg? :)

message 28: by Huck (new)

Huck Flynn | 318 comments i ordered 2 CDs today - one from US the other from UK - from Zon Marketplace. The US postage is £1.26, the UK postage £1.76. Figure that one out ! Still browse thru Zon a fair bit - 2nd hand books postage is silly and AbeBooks is usually better unless you have to get new books for that wonderful smell where Zon often does good 3 for £10 deals

message 29: by Lez (last edited Aug 21, 2018 02:04AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Huck wrote: "i ordered 2 CDs today - one from US the other from UK - from Zon Marketplace. The US postage is £1.26, the UK postage £1.76. Figure that one out ! Still browse thru Zon a fair bit - 2nd hand books ..."

In my 34 years in libraries I never did work out why new books smelt like that whatever publisher or supplier they came from. It was a sad day when we started buying paperbacks which don’t smell.

message 30: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "paperbacks which don’t smell"

i've read some stinkers! boom!

actually book sniffing is a treat, nowt quite like it! recently, on a train, a small child on a nearby seat, asked of her mother "mummy, why is that man sniffing a kindle?"

boom

message 31: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: ""

Best use for it. :-)

message 33: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Tim wrote: "suzysunshine7 wrote: ""

Best use for it. :-)"

Definitely ;-)

message 34: by Collette (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Collette | 4542 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Well, I must admit that I've occasionally used the Amazon Prime Free Trial on finding out that my Account will allow me to. And it has come in very handy when I've suddenly had something that I rea..."

I'm with you there, Suzy. I've used it a good couple of times, with no intention of renewing it once the 30 days are up. I figure that with the amount of money I spend on Zon, I'm entitled to.