Great American Read List discussion

Reading and Associated Themes > Favorite Place to Read?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
My preferred place to read is on my deck with my legs propped up on a second chair and a cup of tea at my side (current favorite flavor: Bigelow salted caramel). I quit drinking coffee as one of my New Year resolutions, but have adjusted to tea well (black tea has half the caffeine). During the good weather months, everyday that is sunny I schedule an hour to sit in the sunshine and enjoy a book. Some days I'm too busy to fit this pleasure in, but I do try.

On days that are overcast or there is precipitation, I read on my bed. If the book I'm reading is challenging (difficult vocabulary, extensive characters to keep track of, etc.) I keep my laptop within reach for quick searches.

My second favorite place to read is the beach—the scent of salty air, the sound of ocean waves and friendly seagulls, the feel of the warm sand between my toes—love the atmosphere!

Where is your favorite reading spot? Please share!

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Loretta wrote: "Lavan wrote: "My preferred place to read is on my deck with my legs propped up on a second chair and a cup of tea at my side (current favorite flavor: Bigelow salted caramel). I quit drinking coffe..."

A sunroom sounds lovely, Loretta! I would enjoy that immensely on days that are over 85° and mostly sunny, when direct sunlight is too much to bear for long.

message 3: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments My favourite place is at the kitchen table. I had been reading while on the couch, but kept falling asleep (medicine-induced). I don't have to worry about a happy Labrador tail knocking my drink of choice off the table now!

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Parker wrote: "My favourite place is at the kitchen table. I had been reading while on the couch, but kept falling asleep (medicine-induced). I don't have to worry about a happy Labrador tail knocking my drink of..."

I have a Weimaraner that puts her muzzle beneath my forearm and lifts up to get my attention. It's endearing! Does your Labrador do the same, Parker?

message 5: by Parker (new)

Parker | 58 comments That's the third thing he does. In order they are:
1. Stare. If that does't get results, it's on to
2. Put muzzle (usually wet) on closest available Mum surface. If I'm reading or weaving, it's usually my leg. If that *still* gets no results, it's onto
3. Nose under the elbow. Not just once, but several times. When all else fails, he'll move on to
4. The body slam. Works better if Mum is standing up, but even sitting down, 81.50 lbs of solid muscle slamming into your side can be quite jarring.

However, he *is* a gentleman. If I tell him "just a minute"or "Not yet" , he'll lie down and go to sleep. He doesn't bother me much at all unless he *really* needs to go out or it's time for his medicine.

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Parker wrote: "That's the third thing he does. In order they are:
1. Stare. If that does't get results, it's on to
2. Put muzzle (usually wet) on closest available Mum surface. If I'm reading or weaving, it's usu..."

I laughed reading that!
Dogs are singular companions, it's true.

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I love the dog stories. I'm a big dog lover. :)

My favorite places to read:

My bed
The screened-in porch
By the pool

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:37AM) (new)

Tasha wrote: "I love the dog stories. I'm a big dog lover. :)

My favorite places to read:

My bed
The screened-in porch
By the pool"

I'm envious of your screened porch, Tasha, and Loretta's sunroom!
The temperature today is forecasted to reach 98°. On days over 90° I only sit on my deck for half an hour, to read. That's as much heat and humidity that I can take in one sitting.

I do have another favorite place to read that I forgot to mention earlier—my Lay-Z-Boy office chair. It's incredibly comfortable!

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha It's hot here as well. I stayed in this morning to read, in the AC. We were out at a baseball game yesterday it it was torture, I felt like I was melting.