Mrs. Blais's F Period Essentials discussion

Well Crafted Lines

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs.Blais (new)

Mrs.Blais | 5 comments Mod
What is a line or a passage from your book that is particularly well written? Explain what you love about how this line is written.

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella G (elmeister) | 3 comments “Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly -- they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” I think this line is particularly insightful and it really makes the reader think about how words are like X-rays, the ways in which they can see through you, reach inside you and make you feel a certain way. This line makes words sound more powerful and influential than any weapon in the world, which I think is both true and very interesting.

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace | 3 comments In my book, The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, he writes, “the early summer sky was the color of cat vomit” (Westerfeld 1). I found this line to be very descriptive. And not only did it accurately depict what the sky was looking like, it also gave a negative connotation to that night. The writer used “cat vomit”, giving the sky a gross and ugly color.

message 4: by Kaleigh (new)

Kaleigh | 2 comments “The first sound in the morning was her voice, as she went about the house singing like a lark; and the last sound at night was the same cheery sound, for the girls never grew too old for that familiar lullaby. (Alcott 32)” i think that this was a good simile and i like how she described the singing and how the girls never tire of it.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Loubier | 3 comments In the book I.D. My favorite line so far is “Nothing makes me happier than pissing Oxner off. I felt so good. I almost liked school.” I liked these lines because i found it very funny. I think we can all relate in the amusement when a teacher gets mad about something not that bad. I just could relate to this person when he said this and it made me laugh.

message 6: by Aidan (new)

Aidan Pj | 3 comments “The room was a cramped, unadorned rectangle with a rubber-mat floor and a steeply pitched ceiling, situated directly beneath the stands.” I enjoyed this sentence because I liked how the author was descriptive enough so that the reader could picture the Lockeroom enough to feel like they were there.

message 7: by Mica (new)

Mica Wishengrad | 4 comments From War Storm by Victoria Aveyard " 'I think you might be better suited to politics than war, Mare Barrow.' I offer a pained smile. 'They're the same thing.' " I really liked the passage because it clearly showed the personality of the characters and how they would go about saying something. Yet still makes you take time and think because of how realistic the words are. I like how the author was able to describe a lot of what the 'deep' parts of the book are about, showing how even magic and fiction can be scarily akin to real life.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Dom | 4 comments “I looked around the field, and it was almost as if a tidal wave of euphoria was going to sweep me away.” I really like how this line is written because when she says “a tidal wave of euphoria was going to sweep me away” I know exactly what she is talking about, I can imagine her happiness.

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments I sniff the coffee, the rich, black, oily French roast we all prefer. I love how this line is written because I like the way she describes coffee, it makes you picture it and smell it.

message 10: by Shealee (new)

Shealee | 3 comments “every interaction with the applicants saves her life just a little. at first they barely notice her. they dump their items into the bin and watch closely as they go through the machine... in the normal course of things, the applicant would never notice her, but she makes sure they do. it’s her only connection to the world.” i chose this quote because you don’t know the character but you know they don’t have a connection to the world somehow

message 11: by Hannah!! (new)

Hannah!! | 2 comments The boy went back to contemplating the silence of the desert, and the sand raised by the animals. “Everyone has his or her own way of learning things,” he said to himself. “His way isn’t the same as mine, nor mine as his. But we’re both in search of our personal legends, and I respect him for that.”
I think this quote is well crafted because it shows how each persons path in life is different, and although two paths may be different, it shows how they are both very much valid ways of living.

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen | 1 comments "Taking our hands out of Athena's tank felt like breaking a spell. I was suddenly desperately uncomfortable, awkward, and incompetent. Even after rinsing my red skin with hot water for nearly a minute, I was so cold I still couldn't pick up the pen in my purse, much less write in my notebook. It was as if I had trouble returning to the person, the writer, I was before."
I thought this quote was very well crafted because it shows the transition from an octopuses world into ours. Living in New Hampshire I know what it feels like to have your hands feel clumsy and heavy because of the cold, so I could really relate to that feeling.

message 13: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 4 comments “Jennifer H did not answer. Her neck was twisted at a comic angle. Her eyes were open and staring.Seeing nothing. Liquid, black in the eerie light, ran from her mouth and ears.” The reason I picked this line is because the writer describes the situation, and wants to scare the audience. He also makes sure that the characters react like the audience will.