You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > August 2014 - Sky High theme book discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1045 comments Discuss any book that fits sky high theme here.

*Simply stating that you have read the book will not be enough to earn a badge for the group read, please discuss the book. You may link to your review if you like as a means of discussion. Or you may update us periodically on your progress and thoughts as you read through the book.

message 2: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2680 comments Some of are planning to read Cloud Atlas as a "sky high theme" buddy read. We will be conducting that discussion on a separate thread. Here is the link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/....

message 3: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1045 comments Gotcha :)

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I think I'll read A Thousand Splendid Suns. It will be my first Hosseini book.

message 5: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2022 comments I'll stick with The Moons of Jupiter, I just picked it up from the library yesterday. Will not start yet though, want to finish a few of my chunksters first.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments As Cloud Atlas isn't going too well I might have to swap to another book for this theme. Other option is Moon Called. it's shorter and looks more fun. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

message 7: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2680 comments Sarah, I've read Moon Called, and the other eight or so books in the series it begins, and they are definitely more fun than Cloud Atlas. I'm a big fan of that series. Second Star on the Right (which I have read 40% of) is also a lot of fun. We'd miss you on the Cloud Atlas Buddy Read, but I wouldn't blame you a bit.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 90 comments I read Cloudsplitter a couple of months ago. It is a fictional account of John Brown's fight to abolish slavery and his subsequent raid on Harper's Ferry, as narrated by his son. It was a very good book, but also very long (almost 800 pages). Perhaps maybe a little too detail-oriented, but still well-written. It was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Definitely worth the time.

message 9: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2022 comments Sarah wrote: "Other option is Moon Called. it's shorter and looks more fun. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow."

I recently read Moon Called and it was quite fun, will have to look for the next book in the series from the library.

message 10: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3356 comments I've had an old Regency romance on my bookshelf for a while now, and since its title fit the theme, I figured it was a good time to finally getting around it reading it.

Boy, I wished I'd read it a long time ago. It was GOOD! I'm talking Georgette Heyer good. After I finished reading the book, I looked to see what other reviews here on Goodreads had to say. One reviewer quoted Anne McCaffrey saying how wonderful the book was.

Anyway, the book is Lady Elizabeth's Comet, and I heartily recommend it to any lover of a good, clean, old-fashioned Regency romance.

message 11: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2022 comments Just started The Moons of Jupiter and read the first story. Liking it so far. Alice Munro is a new author to me.

message 12: by Liz (last edited Aug 03, 2014 09:23PM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Yesterday, I actually finished my book for the Is it Any Wonder challenge. It also fits here, too. Chasing the Sun: A Novel.

I still plan on reading the group read Empire of the Sun as well.

My review for Chasing the sun is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

One thing I found interesting regarding the use of "sun" in this novel, was that the local Peruvian currency used to be called the "inti", named after the ancient Incan sun god. Then, the name of the currency changed to the "sol", Spanish for the "sun". This book was set in the 1990s when the currency was called the "nuevo sol." In this book, the main character's wife has been kidnapped and is held for ransom. The main character literally has to "chase the sun" as he tries to figure out how to pay the ridiculous ransom set by her captors, Peruvian political extremists.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments oooh.... got loads of steampunkery on my 'to be reads'! Hoping I can schwangle one into my august reads... lovely topic, and can't wait to peek at all you guys are reading!

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Finished Dresden files #2 Fool Moon I enjoyed butcher's take on werewolf lore and the different breeds. It was a bit disappointing in the end to just play with the two breeds he chose from his list. Look forward to moving on in this series.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "Finished Dresden files #2 Fool Moon I enjoyed butcher's take on werewolf lore and the different breeds. It was a bit disappointing in the end to just play with the two breeds he chose..."

It is SO good... they definitely get better as they go on. If you decide you love Butcher, and can't get enough, there's also Kevin Hearne's fab 'Iron Druid' series which has a very similar feel. Hounded

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments btw, how loosely or strictly does one interpret 'sky high'? Is it just anything airborne or celestial bodies, or could we also look at gods/goddesses stuff?

message 17: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm all caught up with iron druid except the short stories. Love urban fantasy as long as its not into the paranormal romance side of things. Also have enjoyed much of Larry Correia work

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments I feel much the same.. don't mind if there's romance involved, but really don't want it to be insipid, naive, and be the crux of the plot. Not read Larry Correia, but his Grimnoir Chronicles series is at the top of my Paranormal urban tbr list. Is that the one you'd suggest, or would you start somewhere else with his work? Thanks for the rec! Such a huge genre, nice to know there's quality series still ahead of me, and I dont' have to wade thru a bunch of bad to find it. ;)

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I've enjoyed both the grimnoir and mhi series Monster Hunter International

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments lol... well with a first sentence like that Monster Hunter International blurb, I'd say its safe to say that its my cup of tea. Thanks for the rec!

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 06, 2014 02:02PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments Does the word 'galaxy' also count for this month?

I'm not sure if I'll be in the mood for A Thousand Splendid Suns, it doesn't seem to cover the easiest subject and right now I don't feel like reading something difficult. Still some days left in August though, so we'll see.

message 22: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Aug 06, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Peggy... How's about something super light, like Moon Called? I don't know if its your cup of tea, but someone just told me i had to read it because its similar to another series I enjoy.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments Thanks for the tip Rachel! It's not a genre I often read, but who knows, I might give it a try :)

message 24: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20685 comments Peggy - I believe if Star counts, then galaxy would apply. I actually looked for titles in my TBR list that might cover this word. Hope you have a good one. :)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments There's always one of my fave authors, Alice Hoffman... Turtle Moon. Also Scarlet Moon which looks like light fairytale retelling/redux. I just searched moon books in my tbr for my own use. lol

btw, you guys keep referring to a list of words that count... am I missing that, somewhere?

message 26: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I was thinking maybe The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as an alternative, or if I need something really simple The Brightest Star in the Sky

message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments OddModicum Rachel wrote: "There's always one of my fave authors, Alice Hoffman... Turtle Moon. Also Scarlet Moon which looks like light fairytale retelling/redux. I just searched moon books in my ..."

It was probably all discussed in the book group selection thread for book nominations august 2014. Not sure the exact thread name but should be one

message 28: by Travis (new)

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I'm just starting Moon Called.looking forward to it.

message 30: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Aug 06, 2014 05:18PM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Peggy wrote: "I was thinking maybe The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as an alternative, or if I need something really simple The Brightest Star in the Sky"

Oh, that Brightest Star In the Galaxy looks divine! Thank you for killer rec! And I can't recommend Hitchiker highly enough. You have to be in the mood for whimsy, though. ;)

Thanks for thread! I'll peek and see what I missed.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments Thanks Rachel! I have never read anything by Alice Hoffman, but I do have some of her books on my tbr. I'm sure I can find something for this month now!

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51423 comments I read Fool Moon for the theme and for the toppler. I love the humour in Butcher's Dresden files and this one delivered.

Murphy, Dresden's foil, can be infuriating in that she never seems to trust him and is ever so quick to throw the handcuffs on him. I chuckled when he informed her, “I can't be under arrest now... I don't have time.”

Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments lol... Murph does try to incarcerate poor Harry pretty dang frequently. That lessens over the course of the series. Off to check out your review!

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51423 comments Maybe it's a Freudian thing with the handcuffs. I'd like to see them hook up down the road. Susan doesn't do it for me. Ahem, not that she should.... but I just don't see them as an item.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Janice wrote: "Maybe it's a Freudian thing with the handcuffs. I'd like to see them hook up down the road. Susan doesn't do it for me. Ahem, not that she should.... but I just don't see them as an item."
I'm all a'flutter! Can't wait to chat with you as you read further in the series. Don't wanna give anything away, but later books REALLY get amazing. < Spoilers, Sweetie! >

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I am reading Moon Called and I'm really enjoying it. I'm at nearly 70% so far and no romance! Which is ace! I don't mind a bit of romance in books but not when it's the main focus of the story and I hate the obligatory romance in a lot of urban fantasy series. I'll wait till I finish the book now before I comment again, probably just posting my review.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments I finished Moon Called and my review is here.

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I've decided to read A Thousand Splendid Suns after all. I'll start tonight or tomorrow.

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I just read the first 4 chapters and I'm enjoying it so far! It's my first Hosseini book, and I like his writing style.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Really curious to hear how the Hosseini goes for you, Peggy! I've had Kite Runner on my tbr for aaaages. Just added A Thousand...Suns. And Sarah... No romance! That's fab. The obligatory romance that manages to turn strong women into id'jits is one of my issues with the genre (that I love!), too. I love intelligent equal romance, in moderation. But that's pretty hard to find. ;)

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I haven't read many books set in this time and place, but Hosseini is doing a great job in showing Afghanistan's culture. Not a good place to be a woman.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Hosseini is good at setting a scene. Does he use Farsi words throughout the book Peggy? I know he added some here and there with The Kite Runner. I like it when authors do that. I enjoyed learning about the Afghan culture in Kite Runner. What's the time period for Thousand Splendid Suns?

message 43: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments Yes, he does use Farsi words. I like it too :) Thousand Splendid Suns covers 30 or 40 years according to the book description. It starts in 1964, and I'm in 1975 or 1976 now.

I wonder why I waited so long to read one of his books, I'm really enjoying it a lot.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18222 comments Have you read The Kite Runner? I think he's books are well written, good characters and great descriptions of the country and culture, but... they are not always easy reads. I cried at The Kite Runner. I have Thousand Splendid Suns on my kindle - must get to it at some point soon. I'll be watching out for your review!

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments No, I haven't read it. I remember watching a part of the movie a long long time ago but finding it too hard to watch, and that has kept me from reading the book. And his other books as well for so long probably. A Thousand Splendid Suns has had some sad parts too so far, but not so much that I want to stop reading for a while.

message 46: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2499 comments Then you all have to also check out Khalid Hosseini's third book And the Mountains Echoed. I've enjoyed all three of his books.

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments I finished part 2. I have tears in my eyes, and I can only remember that happening twice before.

I'm not going to read any more tonight.

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 35 comments Peggy wrote: "I finished part 2. I have tears in my eyes, and I can only remember that happening twice before.

I'm not going to read any more tonight."

lol You're a much stronger reader than I am! ;) I've had YA books bring me to sobbing sniffling tears. Glad you're loving it, and can't wait to check it out.

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15541 comments After a night of sleep I still feel slightly depressed.

message 50: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20685 comments I don't know if I ever want to read your book or not now, Peggy. I have had it on my list a long time. If you are depressed, I'm not sure I want to deal with it. I know bad things happen in the story, but is the beautiful writing enough to make up for it? If it is, then maybe you just need a little more time to push through the awfulness. I hope you have a good day.

« previous 1