The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

JUNE 2018 THEME > June 2018 Theme: MOVIE NIGHT

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll this month! I left June's reading theme up to you guys and (most of) you picked...

THE THEME FOR JUNE IS: MOVIE NIGHT

For this theme, read a book that was adapted into a movie!

A pretty easy theme this month! I'd love to know if you've seen the movie of the book you're going to read and whether you liked it!

~

I'll be reading:

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

I've been meaning to read another Ira Levin book since loving Rosemary's Baby last year. I won a giveaway hosted by Inside My Library Mind and bought The Stepford Wives as part of my prize! I can't wait to get into it. It's only a little book, so it shouldn't take me long, especially if I love it as much as I loved Rosemary's Baby!

I haven't actually seen the movie adaptation of The Stepford Wives. I went to watch it (illegally) once but the site didn't work so I gave up. I'm glad of this now as I prefer reading the book before seeing the movie!

~

Happy reading everyone! Let us know your picks below.

message 2: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 16 comments As of right now all three books that I am reading have been adapted into films. Which ever one that I finish first in June, will be the one I post on BookBums.

message 3: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I think I’ll read The Guns of Navarone

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments I've been wanting to read 1984 for a while, and it's been made into a movie so I'm going to count it here! I haven't seen the movie, though, and don't really intend to. ;-)

1984 by George Orwell

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I can't decide and looked up a list of books to movies= on my list are: Princess Bride
Time Traveler's Wife
Help
Kite Runner
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
City of Bones
Time Machine
1 Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Cold Mt.
Joy Luck Club
Beloved

So I plan to read a few as the spirit hits me this month.

message 6: by Alex (last edited May 31, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Alex Aaargh! This is actually quite a challenging theme for me as none of the books in my TBR collection (or library hold list, for that matter) have been made into movies and I REALLY need to be getting on with Hugo Award reading this month and none of them have been made into movies (yet) either. However I'm currently reading Devil's Knot, which was made into a film, so although I won't have read ALL of it in June I'm going to count it as my June book anyway! I haven't seen the film yet but am currently down the Truth and Justice podcast rabbithole with this case.

Devil's Knot The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments I'm going to read Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought us Back from the Brink by Anthony McCarten. I saw the film a few months ago and I'm keen to read about the facts on which the film was based.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments chan wrote: "That's a cool theme, I like it! Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment and I'll be happy, if I manage to keep up my slow but somewhat regular pace with the book I am currently ..."

Not sure about 'easy' but To Kill A Mockingbird is a wonderful book and it would be a great excuse to watch the film with the brilliant Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Million chan wrote: "That's a cool theme, I like it! Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment and I'll be happy, if I manage to keep up my slow but somewhat regular pace with the book I am currently ..."

Those are all pretty heavy reads - but I'd say To Kill a Mockingbird is the easiest to get through.

message 10: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I'll be reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I saw the movie a long time ago but I don't remember it. So I might have to rewatch it once I finish the book.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin I'm reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Which was made into a movie in the 1990's starring Denzel Washington.

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I had already planned a buddy read of City of Bones by Cassandra Clare so this worked out perfectly.

message 13: by Robbi (new)

Robbi (rlynn13) The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the group & bookclubs in general; however not new to bibliophilia. So I'm excited. I'll be reading 'The Exorcist' by William Peter Blatty.

message 14: by Maria (last edited Jun 04, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Maria | 3 comments I´ll be reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which has been on my TBR forever. Haven't seen the movie yet, so far no intention to do so, but we'll see...

message 15: by Luke (new)

Luke (wyrdherts) | 5 comments I'm reading The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. I've seen both the original film and the remake. Anyone read this already?

message 16: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments Took a while to find a book I own that is also a movie, but I happened on Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I'll start after finishing my current book, Sister.

message 17: by Kim (last edited Jun 17, 2018 01:21PM) (new)

Kim | 2 comments I just started reading Room by Emma Donoghue. The movie was quite emotional and thought provoking. So far the book is just as captivating and will probably end up better than the movie. It is written from a 5 year olds perspective, which makes it quite different.

Edit: Finished Room, I'm now reading Paper Towns

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments I plan to read both Girl, Interrupted and Jurassic Park this month! I was a total fail to complete last month so I am hoping to get these done on time. Looking forward to summer reading!

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara Million I've decided to read The Jane Austen Book Club because I feel the need to read something light and fun. The movie is a favourite of mine to watch whenever I want a 'pick me up', so hopefully the book has the same tone.

message 20: by Etinosa (new)

Etinosa Hi. Just joined and this is such a cool theme. Ill be reading a wrinke in time by Madeleine L'Engle. It got made into a movie recently but i havent watched it yet. I think ill read the book first before watching the movie.

message 22: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Sue wrote: "I can't decide and looked up a list of books to movies= on my list are: Princess Bride
Time Traveler's Wife
Help
Kite Runner
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
City of Bones
Time Machine
1 Flew Over ..."

Oh!!! I'm currently listening to As You Wish: Inconceivable
Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
. It's an amazing audiobook. I really recommend it.

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I am reading the Princess Bride, and the Jungle Book by Kipling- both are really fun.

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Etinosa wrote: "Hi. Just joined and this is such a cool theme. Ill be reading a wrinke in time by Madeleine L'Engle. It got made into a movie recently but i havent watched it yet. I think ill read the book first b..."

This was one of my favorite books of all time-and I haven't sen the movie yet either.

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I am feading the Princess Bride and It's so enjoyable- after watching the movie multiple times for years. It's such a rollicking wonderful story.

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara Million Sue wrote: "Etinosa wrote: "Hi. Just joined and this is such a cool theme. Ill be reading a wrinke in time by Madeleine L'Engle. It got made into a movie recently but i havent watched it yet. I think ill read ..."

I saw the movie a little while ago and it was pretty good. They change some things (as always with adaptations!) but it does still keep most of the feel of the book. The special effects and costumes are great!

message 27: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I read "Private Peaceful" by Michael Morpurgo - both book and film are beautiful and heartbreaking. Set in World War 1.