Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Reading Recommendations > Great Fantasy and sc-fi books going under the radar.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevis (last edited Aug 15, 2009 05:59AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 71 comments I wanted to create a thread for the members in this group to discuss or suggest fantasy and science fiction books that are completely being overlooked by readers. Regardless of the reason why these books are not being noticed (poor marketing, self-published, lack of availability, out of print, etc.) they just aren't getting the attention they rightfully deserve.

Over the past couple of years I have been introduced to a number of books that would easily be best sellers if the proper marketing was behind them. I am extremely disappointed that the following books are not getting noticed while the same popular books keep getting recommended over and over again.

This is the place to mention those books which you love that you think other people would love to read if only they knew about them. Here are a few of my recommendations:

Max and the Gatekeeper (ya fantasy)

Legends in Time The Contrived Senator (epic fantasy)

The Book of Nonsense (ya fantasy)

Elfhunter A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is (high fantasy)

Persephane Pendrake and the Cimaruta (ya fantasy)

Leapfrog (military sci-fi)

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Threshold 1 The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny is the first of a 6 book collection. If you like Roger Zelazny, it's well worth buying. It has a lot of previously unpublished work & explanations both by Zelazny & others. It is available on Amazon through book 4, at this time.

message 3: by Barry (last edited Feb 10, 2012 09:57PM) (new)

Barry Gibbons (redeyedonesbcglobalnet) | 7 comments Check out Omensent: Birth of a Dragon Lord
by Barry A. Gibbons
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 4: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Joyner (spearcarrier) I think anything by Elizabeth Boyer is worth noting.

She was a fantasy writer in the 80's that was heavily influenced by Norse mythology. What books I could get by her I read until they fell apart at the age of 15 on. She's so overlooked, her stuff is more than out of print. You can't even find a mention of it hardly anywhere.

I think my favorite by her would be The Sword and the Satchel.

No, wait. The Troll's Grindstone.

... yeah. Maybe that one.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 73 comments Honestly, I feel oftentimes as if I'm in this group. I know every writer probably thinks their stuff is good. You need a certain amount of ego in this business. I've been writing for twenty years and have sold a lot of stories and novels to professional markets, but my sales aren't terribly strong even though I typically garner very good reviews from those who do read them. Case in point, my Under the Ember Star book, which has gotten some great reviews and yet has had extremely modest sales.