AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Raid on Cochecho (The Puritan Chronicles, #3)
This topic is about Raid on Cochecho
The Importance of Talismans

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments No real talisman made an appearance in Puritan Witch, but the the following 2 books did--especially Book #3.
Talismans are featured on the covers of both Letters to Kezia and Raid on Cochecho.
In Letters to Kezia, a beaded belt is prominently displayed, representing the brief love affair between Daniel Eames and Mary Case. In my research I found an existing beaded belt--or the remnants thereof---of an actual wampum-bead belt, and that inspired me. Then on Etsy of all places I found a similar "hippie belt" made of wooden beads, and that said to me, "perfect prop for the cover!"
In Raid on Cochecho, I considered the simple toys Colonial children played with, and I decided a button on a string, known as a whirligig, would be just the thing. Nine-year-old Grace cherished her whirligig, a mother-of-pearl button on a linen string her father gave her. Later it becomes a charm of protection for Menane, binding their lives together irrevocably.
The whirligig was especially fun because I spin yarn, and for the first time, I got some flax and spun a linen thread. Then I found a set of 30 mother-of-pearl buttons online and fashioned 30 whirligigs, which I attached to The Puritan Chronicles bookmarks. The first 30 to buy a copy of Raid on Cochecho were the lucky few to receive their own handmade whirligig!

message 2: by Martha (last edited May 31, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
I had no idea that a whirligig was a real thing! I've played with such a toy, and so have my children. It also seems like it would be a perfect bookmark, too.

I'm impressed that you spin yarn!

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Martha wrote: "I had no idea that a whirligig was a real thing! I've played with such a toy, and so have my children. It also seems like it would be a perfect bookmark, too.

I'm impressed that you spin yarn!"

Oh yes I have several spindles and a spinning wheel! It's really a fun hobby.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Peni wrote:Oh yes I have several spindles and a spinning wheel! It's really a fun hobby.

Do you then knit the yarn? Or sell it?

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments Martha wrote: "Peni wrote:Oh yes I have several spindles and a spinning wheel! It's really a fun hobby.

Do you then knit the yarn? Or sell it?"
I crochet mostly, and I make woolen dryer balls with the wool yarn too; I read how dryer sheets are covered in such harmful chemicals, so I have been using the dryer balls and they work just as well, with no chemicals!

message 6: by Martha (new)

Peni wrote: "I crochet mostly, and I make woolen dryer balls with the wool yarn too..."

Fascinating. Sounds like an immersive, engaging activity.

I'm trying to think of a pun about a ball of yarn, maybe something connecting physical yarn with yarn as a tale ... but it's not coming to me. :)

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 87 comments Our family has always used the term whirligig but I never knew what it literally was. Glad to find out. Thanks for the info.